Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Not sure about other phones, but something my GS4 does that I really like...

If my phone is face down and there is a notification, when I pick up my phone it gives one light vibration pulse letting me know the notification is there even before I wake the screen up.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
Not sure about other phones, but something my GS4 does that I really like...

If my phone is face down and there is a notification, when I pick up my phone it gives one light vibration pulse letting me know the notification is there even before I wake the screen up.

It doesn't have to be face down. If you leave it somewhere and pick it up, you will get a vibration when picking it up. It works with my SGS3.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I like the way the Play store handles in app purchases such as purchasing ad removal.

I upgraded the speediest.net app on my Nexus 4 and it finally has the ad removal that the iOS version got many months ago. I paid the $.99 on my Nexus 4 and then upgraded the app on my Nexus 7. On the Nexus 7, it already knew I purchased the ad removal so there was nothing I needed to do.

I've noticed this with other purchases as well. This makes things so nice, wish it would happen like that on the app store between my iOS devices.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I like the way the Play store handles in app purchases such as purchasing ad removal.

I upgraded the speediest.net app on my Nexus 4 and it finally has the ad removal that the iOS version got many months ago. I paid the $.99 on my Nexus 4 and then upgraded the app on my Nexus 7. On the Nexus 7, it already knew I purchased the ad removal so there was nothing I needed to do.

I've noticed this with other purchases as well. This makes things so nice, wish it would happen like that on the app store between my iOS devices.

I just saw this update after I made the comment in this thread a few days ago:rolleyes:

Schicksal

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008
Advantage Android:
Works much better as a USB drive than an iPhone.

At the moment that's about it, but I'm dealing with a crash-happy Galaxy S running Gingerbread, stuffed with factory apps from Samsung and T Mobile that can't be removed or transferred to the SD card. I'd root the thing if the Nexus 5 weren't coming out so soon, and at that time what I get will be a toss up between one of those vs. an iPhone 5 from ebay.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Exactly, most people hardly ever notice but if you want to see some stuttering just dive into the call log list and watch how it jerks all over the place. Give it one good flick and you would think it was epileptic

Set your call log size to lower value will eliminates the stutters.

Don't compare to iOS log which is totally pathetic. No thumbnail picture (in list) and can only have like 200 entries (unlike Android which can have unlimited entries).

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
I agree, there are countless other threads on this same nonsense.

Starting with the same 'I don't want a flame war'.

Honestly, this is the last place you can expect a grown up conversation about android. You can get decent iOS vs. Android discussions on androidforums.com, but not here

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Another point for Android -

Searching for full movies using MovieTube and downloading them to your phone using TubeMate.

I just downloaded Kick-Ass 2 last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. This was a movie that was released two months ago but the quality of the rip is just stellar. I only download 720p videos with great quality as 1080p takes up too much space and battery. And 1080p quality vs 720p being usually negligible.

I was never a fan watching movies on a smartphone. Makes me sleepy but the HTC One's beautiful display and good quality sound coming from the dual frontal speakers made me change that perception. Now I prefer bigger screens.

Huawei Ascend Mate at 6.1 inches is on my watchlist as it packs only 720p which saves more battery but packs a 4050 mAh battery and expandable memory up to 64 GB that this would make an excelllent portable movie player. Only the Asus Fonepad packs a larger screen and bigger battery but the SoC is just too weak for my taste.

I can't see myself going back to a closed ecosystem with a smaller screen to view all my content. I know Android isnt perfect and I respect Apple for making all this happen back in 2007 - 2008. I was an iOS lover for five years. And while I miss a few things from an iPhone, I just cant see myself letting go on some of my freedom that I can do with Android right now. There are tradeoffs but I see myself sticking to Android more for their openness.

kingalexthe1st

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2013
I have a Nexus 4 waiting for me at home which I bagged when the google sale was on. As an iPhone user I have become increasingly frustrated at Apple's "our way is the best way" mode of thinking and I want a bit more freedom. Now, of course, android has been touted as having far more freedom than any iDevice and I'm genuinely excited to see what the Nexus can do.

What I'd like to ask before I get it is, what is the file management system like for downloads? If I download a file that has been emailed to me, can I just store it somewhere in the phone, like I would with a computer? I'd like to be able to have files stored, and then accessed with whatever app I like, change them if necessary (let's go with a document here) and then forward them on to anyone I want either by email, dropbox or the like. What I don't want is for an attachment to be 'stuck' to one app that Apple deems as worthy.

I'm also a bit of a hoarder of information that I like on the web. If I see an article I like, I want to save it permentantly. Maybe to Evernote, but that depends on a web conneciton for the free accounts. Can I easily save articles from the web or from an app, clip them perhaps and save them in a document folder or something?

Thanks. Oh, and apologies if this has already been mentioned. 7 pages of forum posts isn't something I want to sift through :)

Alex

Last edited:

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
I have a Nexus 4 waiting for me at home which I bagged when the google sale was on. As an iPhone user I have become increasingly frustrated at Apple's "our way is the best way" mode of thinking and I want a bit more freedom. Now, of course, android has been touted as having far more freedom than any iDevice and I'm genuinely excited to see what the Nexus can do.

What I'd like to ask before I get it is, what is the file management system like for downloads? If I download a file that has been emailed to me, can I just store it somewhere in the phone, like I would with a computer? I'd like to be able to have files stored, and then accessed with whatever app I like, change them if necessary (let's go with a document here) and then forward them on to anyone I want either by email, dropbox or the like. What I don't want is for an attachment to be 'stuck' to one app that Apple deems as worthy.

I'm also a bit of a hoarder of information that I like on the web. If I see an article I like, I want to save it permentantly. Maybe to Evernote, but that depends on a web conneciton for the free accounts. Can I easily save articles from the web or from an app, clip them perhaps and save them in a document folder or something?

Thanks. Oh, and apologies if this has already been mentioned. 7 pages of forum posts isn't something I want to sift through :)

Alex

To the first part of your question - all downloads in Android, by default go to the Download folder. You can then move them to wherever you want to, or create your own folder and move them there. Just like on a PC. And then you can decide how you want to share it - email, Dropbox, etc.

Can't help you with the second part of your question, though. Never had to do any of the things you ask about.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Yup, you can store files wherever you want. Just like on a regular computer, there are places it might not be best to store them, but you can put them anywhere you have write permission, which is pretty much anywhere you'd want to put them.
Something like Save This Page might do what you want.

kingalexthe1st

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2013
all downloads in Android, by default go to the Download folder. You can then move them to wherever you want to, or create your own folder and move them there. Just like on a PC. And then you can decide how you want to share it - email, Dropbox, etc.

Yup, you can store files wherever you want. Just like on a regular computer, there are places it might not be best to store them, but you can put them anywhere you have write permission, which is pretty much anywhere you'd want to put them.
Something like Save This Page might do what you want.

Awesome! Thanks guys, sounds like I'll enjoy what this phone/OS can do :)

Alex

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

You can use share to Pocket, Readability or Instapaper

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

Alex

From Firefox browser I usually just save a page as a .PDF file if I want to read later. More robust option do exist. I'm pretty sure they have plugins on Firefox and other browsers to save multiple pages for offline viewing. And of course they have seperate apps dedicated for this.

GR33NIE

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
From recent experience the sheer customisation options are far superior, apart from that... Not much else I'm going back to iOS actually

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.