Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tears2040

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
I just bought an iPhone 5s and need an adapter so I can use it in my car, radio, etc.

Not a simple aux cable but actual adapter that converts the new connection to the old one. I have older connection in my car and docks at home.

Thanks a lot.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
Many of these adapters are known to NOT work with the 5s. Also judging by the horrible reviews I wouldn't want to use that charger regardless.

The only thing wrong with that adapter is it won't work with some cases. I use it with a 4s car charger and a home dock.

Last edited by a moderator:

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
Many of these adapters are known to NOT work with the 5s. Also judging by the horrible reviews I wouldn't want to use that charger regardless.

It's the official apple connector so I'm sure it work. People are complaining because it doesn't fit with some cases, if that's a problem take your case off while you use it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

That is the official adapter and should work just fine with the 5S. If it doesn't then no adapter will. Not to mention you obviously haven't read those reviews as most of the bad ones are to do with it not working with certain cases or being too expensive and have nothing to do with the actuall performance or quality of the adapter itself.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
That isn't a charger and it's the official Apple adapter.

Also judging by the horrible reviews I wouldn't want to use that charger regardless.
...and you need to learn to read between the lines with reviews versus just looking at the number of stars. Consider the reviewer and the relevance of the reviewer's preferences/needs to your own. As some of the reviews state, if fit with a case is a problem for you then consider the cable version of the adapter.

bighabeeb

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2010

I can't speak for the folks reviewing them, but personally and around my office we probably bought 50 or 60 of these and have never had an issue with them - I even put one through the wash by accident and it SHOCKINGLY still functioned just fine.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009

did you even read why the reviews were not perfect ;)

This is an original apple product, although very expensive of what it does, it's the only one that works smoothly and perfectly. Chinese knockoffs fail fast (and if you want sound you have to connect the headphones connector to it also in the chinese copies)

So the best and only good way to make things work w/ your old accessories as before is to get the one they linked here or the other version that has a bit of cable; both apple originals.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
The fake ones will not convert digital audio to analog.
I think the expensive Apple one does.

FYI when I got my wife iPad mini instead of a spare cable I bought one of those connector things and it easily snapped at the 8 pin.

webslinger85

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
If people are worried about not fitting with a case, i don't know why you don't just buy this

maccablesadapters_lightning30pin_1.png

The connector may be slightly thicker, but still works with most cases as opposed to the one already posted

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.