Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage11.png
During today's fourth quarter earnings call, Tim Cook confirmed that Apple still plans on introducing new product categories within 2014.

According to Cook, Apple believes that it can use its skills building software, hardware, and services to create "great products" in categories that Apple does not participate in today. "We're pretty confident about that," said Cook.

Apple has been rumored to be working on a number of innovative products, including a smart watch dubbed the iWatch, which will compete with offerings from several other companies like Nike, Jawbone, and Samsung, along with a potential Apple television set.

Apple's iWatch is rumored for a 2014 release, while a possible release date for a television set has been more hazy. The company is also possibly working on other offerings within the television sector, including a potential set-top box that replaces traditional cable boxes.

Article Link: Tim Cook: New Product Categories Still Coming in 2014

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
Tim: Sorry the stock sucks, but just wait for us to catch up. Then you'll see!

AppleFan115

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2012
We're not taking our foot off the gas.

We've always suited up and fought.

Don't bet against us. Don't bet against us.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Microsoft is still trying to catch up to Apple, and yet Apple is notifying future competitors that they'll be entering new markets soon.

Boo-Yah!

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I still think that going into the television market would be a big mistake for Apple. If the rumours are even close, we'd be looking at set's of 55"+ and although I'm sure they'd look great 4K is ant anywhere near mainstream yet, and so many top end TV companies who have been in the business for a very long time are selling top quality nice looking set's at prices Apple could not match.

I hope I'm wrong, but I hope they steer clear of that section of the market.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I'm glad for such a bold statement from one of these calls. Here's to the next couple of months.

afawcett

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2010
San Diego
Excited by the TV. Apple's displays are always top notch and having Apple TV integration would be nice. Hopefully they throw in something new too.

andrew0122

macrumors regular
New TV??!

This guy is interested in the new Apple-branded TV. . . I think a new 55"/65" TV would fit perfectly in my house...

Smart Watch I could care less about. After switching to Android from having 2 iPhones it is going to take quite a bit of impressing to get me back interested in their smartphone offerings.

kushibo

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2012
Honolulu, Hawaii
Go big or go home...

... to an iHouse.

Seriously, imagine if the hardware, software, and service were applied to apartment life or a house and all the things we have there. It would be the ultimate in integration, something out of... well, ... those utopian futures that turn out to be slightly dystopian, but still.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
I need Apple to invent something that I didn't know I needed but will not be able to live without. I can't imagine what it could be but I hope they come up with it soon.

MauerFan07

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2013
When the iWatch comes out you can bet it'll be way better than that watch Samsung released. That was truly embarrassing.

----------

I need Apple to invent something that I didn't know I needed but will not be able to live without. I can't imagine what it could be but I hope they come up with it soon.

That was basically iPad.

Bokito

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2007
Netherlands
I wonder if they wait until WWDC to show something (completely) new or that they unveil a smart watch in March or April. Even though Apple can still grow with it's current lineup, I think investors are gonna loose patience. I also think it's a good wakeup for everybody to introduce something early in the year and get people (re-)attached to Apple and all it's other offerings.

I place my bet on April 1 (4 years after the iPad) for something new to come around.

The teaser should read like "We're not joking around". Using it for a April's fools party, but also referring to current Samsung and other manufacturers' smart watches (that receive horrible reviews for the biggest part).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.