Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Hey,

I just (successfully) rooted my Android phone. I have an LG Optimus V. It's *way* out of warranty, anyhow (and over 2+ years old). Back to the main point...

Since I successfully rooted my Android phone (don't worry, I made backups, and followed instructions *very* carefully), I was wondering:

- Which are some *must* have apps for root-users? I want to really take advantage of this (i.e. force installing apps to SD card, tethering data from my rooted phone to my MBP, etc.)?
- Is rooting my phone safe, in regards to my information (i.e. texts I send, emails I send/receive, passwords I enter)? Safe meaning, is it likely that the software used to root my phone and the custom ROMs will "keylog" me and/or my data (check link below). I *only* used software within the guide (and 'ROM Manager' which includes 'Clockworkmod (Recovery)').

Here's the guide I used (includes links to ROMs, '.apk's, and other downloads).

Shane

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
Hey,

I just (successfully) rooted my Android phone. I have an LG Optimus V. It's *way* out of warranty, anyhow (and over 2+ years old). Back to the main point...

Since I successfully rooted my Android phone (don't worry, I made backups, and followed instructions *very* carefully), I was wondering:

- Which are some *must* have apps for root-users? I want to really take advantage of this (i.e. force installing apps to SD card, tethering data from my rooted phone to my MBP, etc.)?
- Is rooting my phone safe, in regards to my information (i.e. texts I send, emails I send/receive, passwords I enter)? Safe meaning, is it likely that the software used to root my phone and the custom ROMs will "keylog" me and/or my data (check link below). I *only* used software within the guide (and 'ROM Manager' which includes 'Clockworkmod (Recovery)').

Here's the guide I used (includes links to ROMs, '.apk's, and other downloads).

Shane
You do know that "rooting" is nothing more than giving you access to your "root" files within the system and be able to make changes (or allow an app to make changes). This is why you have to be rooted for apps like Titanium Backup.
It is not the root that is dangerous, it is software you download that now has access to the root data that can be dangerous.

Must have apps after root are:
Titanium Backup
ROM Manager
Root Explorer
FX File Manager (main reason is for the FX Text Editor for when you need to change files)
Game Emulators (like Nintendo)
Busybox

You may not use these apps right away, but if you start rom'ing a lot, you will want them. (Download Goo Manager as well).

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
United States
You do know that "rooting" is nothing more than giving you access to your "root" files within the system and be able to make changes (or allow an app to make changes). This is why you have to be rooted for apps like Titanium Backup.
It is not the root that is dangerous, it is software you download that now has access to the root data that can be dangerous.

Must have apps after root are:
Titanium Backup
ROM Manager
Root Explorer
FX File Manager (main reason is for the FX Text Editor for when you need to change files)
Game Emulators (like Nintendo)
Busybox

You may not use these apps right away, but if you start rom'ing a lot, you will want them. (Download Goo Manager as well).

Yes, I understand. Thanks for the info. Also, I noticed that I don't have the Google Play store anymore (so I can't download apps). How do I reinstall it?

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Also, is it safe to enter my Google account information and password? I have to "flash" the Gapps (to get Google Play and other important Google apps). I don't want any of my accounts to get "hacked".

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Also, is it safe to enter my Google account information and password? I have to "flash" the Gapps (to get Google Play and other important Google apps). I don't want any of my accounts to get "hacked".

Yes it's safe as far as I know I've been doing it for a while now and you have to use gapps with custom AOSP ROMs.

Check out: Titanium backup, ROM Toolbox, AdAway, GMD gesture control to name a few off the top of my head.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Did you just root or install a custom rom?

Mike

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
I rooted and then installed a ROM (custom I believe; it's in the link in my original post).

If you have installed a custom ROM (like CyanogenMod) , you might have to flash the Google Apps ( gapps) package. The Play Store is part of the gapps package. There is a link to gapps in the post that you linked to in the OP.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
United States
If you have installed a custom ROM (like CyanogenMod) , you might have to flash the Google Apps ( gapps) package. The Play Store is part of the gapps package. There is a link to gapps in the post that you linked to in the OP.

I'm pretty sure it was CyanogenMod (sounds familiar). Is it safe to log in/use my Google account information on Google appes from the Gapps package?

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
I'm pretty sure it was CyanogenMod (sounds familiar). Is it safe to log in/use my Google account information on Google appes from the Gapps package?

If you go to Settings>About Phone , it should show you what ROM you are using, as well as Android version.

After you verify your Android version , you can download the corresponding gapps from goo.im/gapps. Refer the table on the goo.im website.

The gapps from goo.im are generally considered safe.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
United States
If you go to Settings>About Phone , it should show you what ROM you are using, as well as Android version.

After you verify your Android version , you can download the corresponding gapps from goo.im/gapps. Refer the table on the goo.im website.

The gapps from goo.im are generally considered safe.

Okay thank you.

bairdedwiin

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2013
Rooting your Android phone is the first path towards customizing your phone for optimum use. Once you have your device rooted, you will not only be able to use certain apps, you can also remove bloatware, boost battery life, make your Android work snappier and faster plus further customize the internal systems for better performance you won’t be able to get from a non-rooted phone.

lighthouse_man

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2005
Here is a few more:
Air audio/air stream to airplay your music (to airport express for example).
Avast firewall will now be able to work.
Greenify will force apps that run in the background to hibernate.
Stickmount will make your USB port read from and write to external drives.
Ultimate Sound Countrol will make you change your system default sounds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.