Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StephenCampbell

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
On my 2006 Mac Pro, I could select 200 low-resolution quicktime movies and command them to open all at once. They would arrange themselves in diagonal rows on the screen and be ready to go within seconds.

On my 2013 iMac I had to wait two or three minutes until they had all finished 'loading' and were all ready to go. Even then, the responsiveness in moving windows around was slightly laggy, and the volume control wouldn't move in any of the videos.

Is this reflective of the tower vs. all-in-one, even across 7 years? Is it indicative of Mountain Lion becoming clumsier at handling these kinds of things?

I don't get it. And yes, I do need adequate performance with this kind of thing, as I have thousands of old low-resolution quicktime clips that I like to sort through to rediscover gems and what not, and I like to just open them all at once and move them around and watch different ones, etc.

jordanm86

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2011
On my 2006 Mac Pro, I could select 200 low-resolution quicktime movies and command them to open all at once. They would arrange themselves in diagonal rows on the screen and be ready to go within seconds.

On my 2013 iMac I had to wait two or three minutes until they had all finished 'loading' and were all ready to go. Even then, the responsiveness in moving windows around was slightly laggy, and the volume control wouldn't move in any of the videos.

Is this reflective of the tower vs. all-in-one, even across 7 years? Is it indicative of Mountain Lion becoming clumsier at handling these kinds of things?

I don't get it. And yes, I do need adequate performance with this kind of thing, as I have thousands of old low-resolution quicktime clips that I like to sort through to rediscover gems and what not, and I like to just open them all at once and move them around and watch different ones, etc.

What was the spec of your old Mac Pro? Looking at your signature, your iMac looks pretty high spec so is it possible it is a software related issue ie. they've changed something in OSX or QuickTime and the way they handle files? Personally, I find quicktime VERY laggy now. I can open a video shot on my phone in about 2 secs on VLC but if I open it in quicktime, it takes about 4-5 secs of just 'hanging' and then it will play.

StephenCampbell

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
What was the spec of your old Mac Pro? Looking at your signature, your iMac looks pretty high spec so is it possible it is a software related issue ie. they've changed something in OSX or QuickTime and the way they handle files? Personally, I find quicktime VERY laggy now. I can open a video shot on my phone in about 2 secs on VLC but if I open it in quicktime, it takes about 4-5 secs of just 'hanging' and then it will play.

Yeah, I guess it must be something software related then.

I actually just tried to do it in QuickTime 7, and after assembling a few of those diagonal rows pretty quickly it chocked up, spun the beach ball for about ten seconds, and then unexpectedly quit.

Seriously? :mad:

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
You might test it in an older version of Quicktime. I have QT Pro 7 installed on my machine and use it for everything, the newer QT always seems laggy to me.

StephenCampbell

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
You might test it in an older version of Quicktime. I have QT Pro 7 installed on my machine and use it for everything, the newer QT always seems laggy to me.

Well the newer QT was never laggy on my Mac Pro.

And I did test it in QT 7 too, they started opening and loading much quicker, but then chocked up and quit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.