Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zeale

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2013
Hey everyone,

I just got the new 15" rMBP and I'm wanting to install Boot Camp on it for a gaming partition, but I just can not seem to get it to work. I have an external USB hard drive that I've installed a Windows 7 x64 image on to, I allow boot camp to download support software, and I allow it to create a 160 gb Windows partition. When I go to reboot, it says "no bootable device, press any key", so I reboot and hold option down, force it to boot to the external drive, and then I get to the Windows 7 installation and it asks for cd/dvd drivers and wont let me go any further. I've tried googling solutions and the only thing I've found suggested to remove my USB hard drive and plug it in to a different port and try again, but this didn't help. Am I missing a step here? I don't have an optical drive so the USB is my only option. I also have a 32gb SD card if that helps. Thank you very much for your help!

artmro

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2013
Here a solution for you since i had the same problem the other day. You will need to format you drive in a way that mac and windows both understand. To do this Go to
-Disk Utility on mac
-Select the drive you want to format (pick the one that has the numbers ex 250GB WD Passport)
-Select Partition
-For Partition Layout pick 1 partition
-For Format pick MS-Dos (Fat)

Now your USB drive will understand Windows during installation.

Do the same for resource files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.