Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

machinafour

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2013
Hi,

This is my first post here and it's about the first script I ever tried writing. I followed the guide here..

http://mac.tutsplus.com/tutorials/os-x/hide-your-desktop-icons/

..to write scripts for new finder services to hide and unhide my desktop icons. At first, when I ran them in Automator they worked and hid and unhid the icons. But in Finder>Services dropdown menu I could see my new services, but they didn't work when I clicked on them. As I shut down my laptop yesterday the current status was unhidden but when I booted up this morning the icons are hidden (But I can still access my desktop files through finder). I tried running my "Unhide desktop" script again from Automator, but it does nothing and I don't know how to get my desktop icons back.

Any ideas? Many thanks in advance

machinafour

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2013
Extra info: When I open the Finder window I can see the contents of my desktop folder and running my scripts are hides and unhides the files in here. So they are kind of working (?) but do nothing to bring back the icons on my desktop. I can't even right click on the desktop

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.