Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jyorke2097

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
I've downloaded an .iso file of Windows 7 64-bit (legally!). I've created a partition in Boot Camp Assistant, formatted it to NTFS and began to install Windows. It started hanging once it reached 22% before coming up with an error message.

When I originally burned the DVD using Disk Utility, I recall that the verification failed. I ignored that, as I've written discs before which have failed to verify correctly but have gone on to work perfectly well. However, this is the first time I've created a bootable .iso disc so I'm thinking that this may be the problem. I've tried burning several more copies. They've all failed to verify and then wouldn't install. However, they crashed at different points in the installation process.

I'm thinking that the failure to verify is a symptom of the problem. Is it likely to be a hardware issue with the DVD-R drive (it's the Matishita DVD-R UJ-898 that it was shipped with)? Could it be a problem with Disk Utility, and, if so, can anybody recommend an alternative program capable of writing bootable .iso discs? Is it likely to be the blank DVDs themselves? I've already got through five of them now.

If it's relevant, these are my system specs:
MacBook Pro (late 2010) running OS X 10.6.8.
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 memory

I'd really appreciate any help.

Many thanks,
Johnny

murphychris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2012
Failure to verify means the burn failed in some fashion and yes that's a problem because it means the data on the disk isn't the same as in the ISO.

It could be an incompatibility with the disks you have, try another brand. It could be the drive. Not likely a problem with Disk Utility.

silhouttejames

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2013
Disk Utility in Windows 7 is no more a trouble for you

The Disk Utility also known as local Disk Management is a basic management tool used to perform disk-related tasks in your PC. The tasks includes, resizing partitions, extending or shrinking system partition, deleting, creating, and formatting partitions, etc. Such tasks are important to change the partition, formatting, etc, of your hard drive, but for that, first it's important to know how to access Disk Utility in Windows 7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.