Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in 2011, Amazon launched its Cloud Drive and Cloud Player services, with Cloud Drive offering cloud-based file storage and Cloud Player serving as the interface for playing music stored in Cloud Drive. Amazon has upgraded its service over time, offering unlimited music storage with any paid plan, free storage of Amazon MP3 Store purchases, and iTunes Match-like Scan and Match functionality to help users make their existing music libraries available in the cloud. The company also released native Cloud Player apps for iPhone in 2012 and iPad earlier this year.

amazon_cloud_player_mac.jpg
Cloud Player support for Apple users expands again today, with Amazon announcing the launch of a new Cloud Player app for Mac.
The new app provides Mac users with a seamless way to manage their entire music library - whether saved on their computer or in the cloud - and shop from the Amazon MP3 Store with a catalog of more than 25 million songs.

Amazon Cloud Player for Mac features include:

- One-place for all your music: Play your Amazon and iTunes music all from one place, even when offline.
- A music library that is always up-to-date: Cloud Player automatically detects and adds new music to your library even if you bought it from iTunes or ripped a CD. The app does all the work for you.
- An integrated MP3 Store: You can shop from the Amazon MP3 catalog of more than 25 million songs and discover new music with personalized recommendations, all without having to leave the app.
- AutoRip: Buy an AutoRip CD or vinyl record from Amazon and a free MP3 version of the album will be added to your Cloud Player for Mac library.
- Built for speed: Forget bloated players with extra features you don't need or use. Cloud Player for Mac is lean, mean and made for your music. It'll get you from launch to play in seconds.
- Music management made simple: Download your MP3 purchases automatically or with one click. Export your music to other music players. Create and manage playlists using simple drag-and-drop.
- Instant search & play: Find music easily and quickly. Type anywhere to search for an artist, album or song and play directly from the search results.
- Rich artist content: See artist photos, bios, tweets, and gorgeous, large album art.
- Anywhere access: Music purchased using Amazon Cloud Player for Mac is securely backed up in the cloud for free and made instantly available on any Kindle Fire, Android phone or tablet, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Samsung TV, Roku, Sonos, PC or web browser.
Amazon Cloud Player for Mac is a 45 MB download and requires a minimum of OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

Article Link: Amazon Launches Cloud Player App for Mac

FelixAng

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2013
Hong Kong
Long awaited! Finally, Amazon--thank you!
The process for purchasing Amazon mp3s has been so clunky on Macs, I think, right?

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
Very excited for this. Not because I'll use it... I probably won't... but because iTunes has lost its way in terms of media MANAGEMENT, and needs a kick in the pants. It needs to be challenged.

As many of us now mostly consume our media on other devices (iPods, iPhones, Apple TVs) iTunes should be less about viewing media, and more about managing media IMO. Yet with every iteration they remove useful management features, fill it with useless consumption views, and don't enhance management capabilities.

matrixhacker

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2009
Appears to be just a browser. I get "We're sorry, the page you requested is currently unavailable" when running it after installing. *Move to trash*.

sanseref

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2010
Memphis, TN
Forget the music, what about movies?!?!

While all the music options are nice, I prefer to convert all my movies to digital and am waiting for a movie cloud not owned by Walmart. Come on Google!!!

paulgarb

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
North Berwick
I wouldn't have bothered but Auto-Rip has got my attention & many of the CDs I have bought in the past are available. Guess I will stick to downloading them then adding to iTunes as usual.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
While all the music options are nice, I prefer to convert all my movies to digital and am waiting for a movie cloud not owned by Walmart. Come on Google!!!

Totally agree. I do not understand why Apple has not developed a way for me to upload my collection of DVDs into iTunes. having to search for thirdparty tools is working but its not great.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
This is nice, but I really would like to see the Unbox player come to Mac. Either that or Netflix needs to come out with an offline cache.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Bought the new Arcade Fire album from Amazon and saw they have this new player so I downloaded and installed it. Not sure if I will use it as a player or not but it did a nice job of copying everything in iTunes--my entire iTunes library plus non-smart playlists. Good to see Amazon keeping the pressure on. :)

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I am disappointed that they didn't roll the Amazon Mp3 Uploader functionality into it. Why should I need one app to play music and another to upload it?

I was expecting to be able to drag or copy stuff from the Computer tab to the Cloud tab, but no dice.

It's better than using the browser, but not my much.

----------

Totally agree. I do not understand why Apple has not developed a way for me to upload my collection of DVDs into iTunes. having to search for thirdparty tools is working but its not great.

I think there are a couple of reasons. The first is a legal reason. I don't think the movie industry is very keen on this idea. Just look at what happened with Disney. If you purchased a Disney movie and didn't have it backed up at home, you lost it.

The second reason is more technological. Movie data takes up a lot of space. I would hate to be uploading HD movies through my pipe (even though it's comparatively beefy). The only way this would really work is with an iTunes Match like service. But going back to reason #1, I think the movie industry is not going to let pirated movies be matched like the music industry did.

The music industry got blindsided by Apple. The movie industry saw what happened to them and is determined to not have it happen to them.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I am disappointed that they didn't roll the Amazon Mp3 Uploader functionality into it. Why should I need one app to play music and another to upload it?

I was expecting to be able to drag or copy stuff from the Computer tab to the Cloud tab, but no dice.

It's better than using the browser, but not my much.

----------

I think there are a couple of reasons. The first is a legal reason. I don't think the movie industry is very keen on this idea. Just look at what happened with Disney. If you purchased a Disney movie and didn't have it backed up at home, you lost it.

The second reason is more technological. Movie data takes up a lot of space. I would hate to be uploading HD movies through my pipe (even though it's comparatively beefy). The only way this would really work is with an iTunes Match like service. But going back to reason #1, I think the movie industry is not going to let pirated movies be matched like the music industry did.

The music industry got blindsided by Apple. The movie industry saw what happened to them and is determined to not have it happen to them.

You make strong and valid points. But look at what I am doing, I am still ripping the movies so that I can have them in my computer and then watch them through my apple tv. There is no way that the movie industry can prevent this and legally, since I bought the movie, why would they?

kingledley

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2011
Don't seem to be able to use it outside the US. Just goes to an error page. Disappointing as I've been looking forward to this. Sick of iTunes.

kingledley

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2011
Don't seem to be able to use it outside the US. Just goes to an error page. Disappointing as I've been looking forward to this. Sick of iTunes.

Just had a response from Amazon, who say the desktop app isn't available to non-US users at the moment.

paulgarb

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
North Berwick
Just had a response from Amazon, who say the desktop app isn't available to non-US users at the moment.

I re-installed it a few days ago and it was, last time I looked, working. The fact that it isn't that useful means I'm unlikely to lose any sleep over it. I will stick with iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.