Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The home where Steve Jobs first began building computers with Steve Wozniak has been designated a "historic resource" by the Los Altos Historical Commission reports the San Jose Mercury News.

The home, located at 2066 Crist Drive in Los Altos, California, is still owned by Jobs' sister Patricia Jobs and the designation will add an additional layer of reviews should the owners of the home ever try to renovate it.

stevejobshome.jpg
The vote is the culmination of a two-year effort by the commission to preserve the one-story, ranch-style home as it stands. Chairman Frank Bishop praised the work of his colleagues and city staff, which included extensive research and a property evaluation.

"The documentation looks very complete -- better than some of the books as far as accuracy goes," Bishop said.

The designation will add another layer of review if renovations to the home are ever sought. The commission would be able to make a recommendation to the city council about any proposed changes.
Jobs and Wozniak assembled the first Apple I computers at the home, with the first 50 sold to the Byte Shop in Mountain View for $500 each and the rest sold to friends at the Homebrew Computer Club.

Article Link: Los Altos Designates Steve Jobs' Childhood Home a 'Historic Resource'

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
I'd love to see the back of the cabinets in that house. I guarantee you they look as nice as the front ;)

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
If she does decide to remodel then the additional layer of review would almost certainly mandate a thinning of the design

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Apple should just buy this property. What, it would cost maybe what they make in a second or two? Buy it, then move it to a computer museum, or move it to the new Apple campus as a museum. Put pictures and hardware in every room, and let people walk down memory lane.

This could be cool as a museum, but not in it's current location. Neighbors wouldn't like that much.

Bryan

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
The home should be preserved for history, but I worry it will attract fanatics who still follow Jobs.

CodexMonkey

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2012
From the overhead view there appears to be two garages - one at the front and one at the back. I suspect they built the first computers in the back garage and eventually moved production to the front one which appears to be about 20% thinner and 15% lighter.

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
Good thing the house is still in the Jobs family.

I would hate to think how it would feel to find out one day that the house you've been living in has suddenly been declared a "historic resource" by the city.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
The home should be preserved for history, but I worry it will attract fanatics who still follow Jobs.

It hasn't so far, has it? And what exactly would be the danger that you are afraid of?

Good thing the house is still in the Jobs family.

I would hate to think how it would feel to find out one day that the house you've been living in has suddenly been declared a "historic resource" by the city.

Could be quite inconvenient for Mrs. Jobs. Hope not.

Justan00b

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2013
Apple should just buy this property. What, it would cost maybe what they make in a second or two? Buy it, then move it to a computer museum, or move it to the new Apple campus as a museum. Put pictures and hardware in every room, and let people walk down memory lane.

This could be cool as a museum, but not in it's current location. Neighbors wouldn't like that much.

Bryan

Or....... they could (WAY more respectfully), let the Jobs family, who currently own it decide what they would like to do with the property they own.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

Yeah I can see a brick through the front window, next time apple removes a product from its line. ;)

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
I'm kind of hoping that the garage gets turned into a museum with a plaque that reads, "The birthplace of Apple Inc.". :)

Edsel

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Over There
I invented iClutter in my garage. Even have a few "wireless" mice too.

Steve Jobs proved to work really hard, stay focused, listen, and to never give up your dream.

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
I have what some might say is an above average amount of respect and reverence for Jobs, but I don't get this. I never had even the slightest impression that Jobs was a fan of placing limitations on progress or architecture. Look at all the issues Apple's had petitioning to build their stores in ancient cities like Boston, or the delays Jobs suffered trying to build his own house.

Honouring Jobs by enforcing stagnation seems kind of perverse.

In my opinion, of course.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.