Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bare

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
I wish they had longer lists. Top 5 is only 60% of the market.
Even if you could see Nokia listed individually, it would show that they sold fewer than 12 million smartphones this quarter. That means they had to sell at least 52 million dumbphones to get to that 64 million total.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
I'm sorry but you can't compare Apple and Samsung here.

How many phones have Apple got on the market compared to Samsung?

Last edited:

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

How many phones have Apple got on the market get compared to Samsung?

Well, if you want to measure the market share you have to count all the phones. No company having the same number is irrelevant for that figure.

Justan00b

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2013
This is pretty much as we should expect. As time goes one Apple's share of the smart phone market will decline. This is because Apple will not compete in the under $100 phone category.

My son just bought a Android phone outright, no contract with a prepaid account so there is ZERO monthly bill. He paid about $100 for the phone. It is not as nice as an iPhone but the monthly bill is ZERO and the total out the door cost has about $100. Most phones sold are like this, very low end

It is the same with Macs. You can buy a computer for $350. Apple will never try and compete with that and so will never have the majority of the market.

Porche and BMW do the same thing with cars, Those companies will never out sell Toyota or Honda.

To be fair... Comparing an iPhone to a typical (non-flagship) Android phone is like comparing a Porsche to a Toyota. Comparing an iPhone to a $100 off-contract Android phone is more like comparing a Porsche to an ill taken care of early 70's Pinto station wagon.
To drive the point home (pun intended).... a 2014 base model Porsche is about $60,000. While you COULD easily find a nice "other branded" car for 1/2 that price ($30,000), you simply could NOT find a decent new car at less than 1/6 of that price (<$10,000).
So it is with Apple. We all know that the "sold at a loss" Nexus is a viable option at half the retail outright price. However, you can take comparisons of an iPhone to a $100/brand new phone & peddle them elsewhere.... I doubt you'll convince many (if any) here that your son's phone is an even vaguely serious substitute for an iPhone.
Please do paste a link to his prepaid company which charges, as you state, "ZERO monthly bill". That is AMAZING!!! (to the point of being unbelievable).
I wonder how they stay in business, offering this expensive service for nothing???

NIKKG

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2012
I think as the economy turns bad again and people are hit with new insurance cost for that Obamacare, people will start taking a much bigger look at smartphone prices as well as other electronics. Apple needs to rethink their tragedy. The new Android 4.0+ phones coming out now are all very good and than we have MS and Nokia growing too. I tried that new Nokia 41mp phone at the MS store a couple of weeks ago and that camera blows my GS4's 13MP camera out of the water. That camera was even better than my Canon 12mp point and shoot, it was just crazy how good that camera was. Apple really needs to up their game.

Even with computers, I got a Dell deal using coupon codes for a 15R laptop with a i5 Haswell cpu and a touch screen for $470. Yeah its not a Mac, but damn its less than half the price and no Mac out there has a touchscreen.

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Aren't profits what matter most? Apple is targeting the middle to high end which is growing. Android can have the bottom end which is also growing but is less profitable.

But profits are shrinking while others are rising.

----------

How come samsung's phones are never in such tight supply? Considering they're selling a lot more than apple.

I think it's because they use cheaper, more readily available materials than Apple.

kobalap

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2009
Aren't profits what matter most? Apple is targeting the middle to high end which is growing. Android can have the bottom end which is also growing but is less profitable.

Its an interesting formula, selling to cheap phones for at or below cost. You lose money on every transaction but I guess the hope is to make up the profit on volume. :)

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
What is Hauwei? Off-brand manufacturer or popular manufacturer outside the US?
On topic: numbers are going to rise next year as well, my prediction.

They're pretty big around the world. IIRC the US government publicly stated they didn't trust them as they were basically funded by the Chinese government. It turned out that funding was part of some sort of business grant. Some numpty figured it meant that all the phones would be spying. Kind of ironic coming from the US Govt when you think about it though.

Either way, they are all over the place and they actually make pretty high quality devices.

Think of them as the Hanns-G of the mobile market, assuming you've got Hanns-G in the us now?

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Margins are dropping. Isn't that all the more reason to focus on the middle and high end? Why sell 50 million phones with barely any profit margin?

Margins are dropping no matter what because of increasing competition and price-conscious consumers (who wants to pay $100 for 16 additional gigs anymore?). Apple doesn't have the market to themselves anymore like they did in 2007-2010. I do agree that Apple is following the right strategy by focusing on maximizing profit share. The problem is that strategy has peaked. They will not increase total profits compared to 2011 until they come out with a new product category.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
But profits are shrinking while others are rising.

----------

I think it's because they use cheaper, more readily available materials than Apple.

No mobile phone pieces are "more readily available" they are all custom made.

It's call hype. "Oh my god its sold out?! I must have one". People deny it but its the only explanation (other than piss poor suppliers) as to why nobody else has such a high number of production issues as Apple.

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
No mobile phone pieces are "more readily available" they are all custom made.

It's call hype. "Oh my god its sold out?! I must have one". People deny it but its the only explanation (other than piss poor suppliers) as to why nobody else has such a high number of production issues as Apple.

Maybe it's the chamfering process? :)

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The Other Guys

Apple needs to stop using this line "The Other Guys" or the "Competition".

It's time Apple stops insulting the competition based on units sold vs fully using the products; at least not by itself.

Innovate more on the product: regarding iPhone, time for another bold hardware step - I agree TouchID is sweet. I'd love for Apple to beat Samsung to market with curved display - a small strip on the side for icon and banner notifications to use much less battery power.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

How many phones have Apple got on the market compared to Samsung?

That's irrelevant. If it was a "Companies top selling handset" then sure, but its not - its overall mobile phone marketshare for the quarter. Samsung is outselling Apple massively. The fact that they have a range of handsets is irrelevant.

What I would like to see is a sales by price. So all phones < $100, all phones $100 - $200, all phones $200 - $300 etc. It'd be interesting to see the stats.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
This is not the early nineties and it's not the PC market. Steve Jobs' quotes may not apply to the current market and current products. The race to the bottom in the PC market was over a decade off. The race to the bottom in mobile is imminent and would probably be happening now if it were not for Apple.

I think Steve's thoughts there translate perfectly to the iPhone.

What he's saying is that as long as Apple was making a profit and was financially healthy, they could afford to sacrifice some short-term profits in order to spread their products.

He's saying that what went wrong at Apple was that they became greedy - they had an early advantage, and they stubbornly believed their product was so superior that they could demand much higher prices forever. Ultimately, the competition caught up with 'good enough' products for much lower prices, and it destroyed Apple's future in PCs.

There are two ideas of what Apple is:

1. A company which builds the best products it can, or
2. A company which makes as much money as it can.

If you believe that Apple's goal is to make the best products, who cares if their profits fall? So long as they remain healthy, they can afford to lower their prices because it means more people have access to better products. That's the point Steve was getting at; it's not about making obscene profits; the vision was to "make the thing an appliance and get this out there to as many people as possible"

---

If anything, Steve's comments are even more fitting of the smartphone market. The global technology industry is much more developed than it was in the 90s, and the so-called 'race to the bottom' has happened much faster than it did in the PC industry as a result.

Look at the iPhone's market share since launch to see just how fitting those comments are. The iPhone initially took the world by storm, and early Android devices (like the G1 and G2) couldn't hope to compete. Apple stuck to its guns, insisting that their product was superior and they could demand much higher prices for it, which left an enormous space for the competition to enter. Apple made ridiculous profits for a number of years, but now their profits and market-share (especially outside the USA) are falling.

They went for profits instead of market-share, and it could very well have cost them their future once again.

kobalap

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2009
This is not the early nineties and it's not the PC market. Steve Jobs' quotes may not apply to the current market and current products. The race to the bottom in the PC market was over a decade off. The race to the bottom in mobile is imminent and would probably be happening now if it were not for Apple.

As people whined about how long it takes Apple to release new and innovative products, I always appreciated that their objective was to be the biggest or to sell the most but rather, to make an effort to build products that delivers the qualities that Apple customers expect. I think this statement pretty much sums it up:

Steve Jobs said:
"There are some customers which we chose not to serve," he added. "We don't know how to make a $500 computer that's not a piece of junk, and our DNA will not let us ship that. But we can continue to deliver greater and greater value to those customers that we choose to serve. And there's a lot of them."

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Spot on. Who the hell wants to spends a lot, sell a lot and make a thin profit. :D

Look at those smartphone numbers again - Samsung are outselling Apple almost 3-to-1.

That means Samsung can afford to have 1/3 of the margin Apple has and make the same massive profits.

Let's ignore business for a moment; wouldn't humanity benefit immensely from more people having access to better technology?

That was Apple's original vision. Not to make massive profits, but to make great products that change the world and to get those products in to the hands of as many people as possible.

Today, the company executing that vision is Samsung. Apple seems to be fixated on profit, despite being extremely financially secure already.

kobalap

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2009
Look at those smartphone numbers again - Samsung are outselling Apple almost 3-to-1.

That means Samsung can afford to have 1/3 of the margin Apple has and make the same massive profits.

Let's ignore business for a moment; wouldn't humanity benefit immensely from more people having access to better technology?

That was Apple's original vision. Not to make massive profits, but to make great products that change the world and to get those products in to the hands of as many people as possible.

Today, the company executing that vision is Samsung. Apple seems to be fixated on profit, despite being extremely financially secure already.

What's the point of getting the device to the hands of people if the device itself sucks? The way to get 3x the sales of iPhones, android phone manufacturers are releasing crappy phones that are loaded with bloatware and are hard to use. Despite only having 1/3 of the devices out in the wild, iOS still makes up more internet usage than all android devices combined.

BigHonkingDeal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2009
Fort Pierce
Even with computers, I got a Dell deal using coupon codes for a 15R laptop with a i5 Haswell cpu and a touch screen for $470. Yeah its not a Mac, but damn its less than half the price and no Mac out there has a touchscreen.

There will always be people that look at price as the only indicator of value.....

However, the fact that a month after launch you still have a hard time finding an iPhone 5S in stores would suggest that there are enough people that look at other value indicators as well.

Some people don't like to start a sentence with "Yeah its not a Mac, But" :)

fehmann

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2009
"shipments"

Like he said, "shipments."

Not saying Samsung isn't selling smart phones by the boatload. Just that it's hard to know how far ahead they are when Apple gives us "sales" and Samsung gives us "shipments."

ElTorro

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2013

Yes, but Apple is not the most profitable smartphone manufacturer anymore and with margins going down it will be less and less profitable, so they need to increase market share to compensate. But it looks like out of all smartphone manufacturers, Apple is the only one losing market share.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.