Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trssho

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
That's true. I wouldn't say the home button loudness is annoying , it's annoying when I click the button and then hear 2 or 3 clicks like it's popping back into place. When you press the button you should hear 1 main click. Not 3. I think this is an issue with others in this thread. The overall loudness isn't really that bad. Just takes getting used too.

Exactly what mine is doing. There is a click as I start to depress the button, but its not actually the switch that is making the sound, it's something else. I have to continue to press the button to activate the switch. It is annoying, and it is a defect. I will be exchanging mine next time I'm at an apple store. Also strange, sometimes it doesn't make the double click, and it's smaooth as it should always be.

As for the people who say "stop complaining", I assure you your phone isnt doing this, or you too would be ready to exchange it. And yes, for $700, my 3 week old phone better be perfect! When they highlight their product with videos that brag about tolerances and perfection, my fn switch better not sound like a cheap toy with a problem!!:D

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
How ignorant of a post.

When you pay $600+ for a phone, it SHOULD be perfect. I don't understand why people like you can't understand such a simple concept.

Exactly. I paid 812$ fo mine.

----------

Exactly what mine is doing. There is a click as I start to depress the button, but its not actually the switch that is making the sound, it's something else. I have to continue to press the button to activate the switch. It is annoying, and it is a defect. I will be exchanging mine next time I'm at an apple store. Also strange, sometimes it doesn't make the double click, and it's smaooth as it should always be.

As for the people who say "stop complaining", I assure you your phone isnt doing this, or you too would be ready to exchange it. And yes, for $700, my 3 week old phone better be perfect! When they highlight their product with videos that brag about tolerances and perfection, my fn switch better not sound like a cheap toy with a problem!!:D

Wow, you derscribed my situation even better then I did. Sometimes there is no sound or triple click at all. Maybe 5% of the time. But the other 95% makes that click before actually pressing the button completey down.

Like imagine pressing the button, you hear 1 click, nothing happens on phone, then you press it harder and it makes another click, then the screen moves. Its def a defect. Been waiting 11 days for a replacement lol.

Gincoma

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
How ignorant of a post.

When you pay $600+ for a phone, it SHOULD be perfect. I don't understand why people like you can't understand such a simple concept.
Lol you'll never be happy in life if you expect perfection please don't let a little sound ruin your day the sound is normal and not a defect I wish people would get that

trssho

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
Lol you'll never be happy in life if you expect perfection please don't let a little sound ruin your day the sound is normal and not a defect I wish people would get that

So you suggest people accept everything in the world as it is, regardless if it is defective, and just be happy? I think wanting a home button that doesnt feel like it has sand jammed under it, is not expecting too much.

Do you have a 5s? Does your button work like it should? If you answered no to your button being broken, I'll trade you!! 32GB ATT.:apple:

Gincoma

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
So you suggest people accept everything in the world as it is, regardless if it is defective, and just be happy? I think wanting a home button that doesnt feel like it has sand jammed under it, is not expecting too much.

Do you have a 5s? Does your button work like it should? If you answered no to your button being broken, I'll trade you!! 32GB ATT.:apple:

No device in the history of man kind is perfect you take good with the bad and as something as a simple click that doesn't wake up your partner at night is nothing to complain about is my point. I mean its comical when Im reading people are hurt/upset or embarrassed of the "click". Maybe Im weird, I expect the best but not perfection I guess thats why Im usually happy. I didn't mean to upset anyone I didn't realize some people were sensitive, my apologies.
Yes I have a 5s and it works fine no complaints I love my 5s :)

trssho

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
No device in the history of man kind is perfect you take good with the bad and as something as a simple click that doesn't wake up your partner at night is nothing to complain about is my point. I mean its comical when Im reading people are hurt/upset or embarrassed of the "click". Maybe Im weird, I expect the best but not perfection I guess thats why Im usually happy. I didn't mean to upset anyone I didn't realize some people were sensitive, my apologies.
Yes I have a 5s and it works fine no complaints I love my 5s :)

Your attitude is very egocentric! If it's good enough for you, well then it certainly should be for others, and if it's not.....Something is wrong with those shallow people.

Again, if your home button operated as if it had sand embedded in it, you'd have a problem too. I'll be clicking this home button 20-30,000 times in the next year or two, and if sounds like this now, I can only imagine what it'll operate like then. Again, it feels like a cheap plastic toy with a defective button! :eek:

Gincoma

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
Your attitude is very egocentric! If it's good enough for you, well then it certainly should be for others, and if it's not.....Something is wrong with those shallow people.

Again, if your home button operated as if it had sand embedded in it, you'd have a problem too. I'll be clicking this home button 20-30,000 times in the next year or two, and if sounds like this now, I can only imagine what it'll operate like then. Again, it feels like a cheap plastic toy with a defective button! :eek:

The sound everyone is talking about is normal thats my point some people have different perception of the sound but its all the same sound. Theres no sand in it, its not malfunctioning and not disabled. It is what it is no matter how many times people exchange the phone itll be there. So IMO people shouldnt let a little sound ruin their day or life, nothing is perfect.
Also if its that much of a problem for some people there are other options on the market that wont make an embarrassing sound to humiliate them.

trssho

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
The sound everyone is talking about is normal thats my point some people have different perception of the sound but its all the same sound. Theres no sand in it, its not malfunctioning and not disabled. It is what it is no matter how many times people exchange the phone itll be there. So IMO people shouldnt let a little sound ruin their day or life, nothing is perfect.
Also if its that much of a problem for some people there are other options on the market that wont make an embarrassing sound to humiliate them.

You have zero clue what my phone home button sounds like or anyone else s that you haven't heard in person, so it may or may not be the same sound. The 5S models at the apple store did not have a two stage click, and every iPhone I have owned since the 3G didn't have a click before the button is actually "clicked"! One out of 10 of home button depresses feel and sound completely "normal".

As for the sand, I didn't say, nor do I believe that I have sand lodged in my button.

I assume you are simply trying to antagonize, and it worked! :D

Gincoma

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
You have zero clue what my phone home button sounds like or anyone else s that you haven't heard in person, so it may or may not be the same sound. The 5S models at the apple store did not have a two stage click, and every iPhone I have owned since the 3G didn't have a click before the button is actually "clicked"! One out of 10 of home button depresses feel and sound completely "normal".

As for the sand, I didn't say, nor do I believe that I have sand lodged in my button.

I assume you are simply trying to antagonize, and it worked! :D

Well I guess all you can do is get a new device and pray to the iPhone gods its gone. The click is 2 stage click on "press" and upon "release" i think its just a characteristic of the phone, but yes I have been known once or twice in my life to be wrong this could be one of them :eek:

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
All of the buttons seem equally loud to me, which is a fairly loud clackclack.
Yup same here but they feel nice and solid to me that way. I'd rather them be this way than years past where the home button gets sunken in over time and is all wobbly.

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013
Maybe you should had bought a 5c.....

The issue is probably a small finish issue of a massively mass produced small part that is early in it's production, very small, and made half a wold away from apple's designers and engineers. There is probably a small burr on the sapphire crystal or the stamped metal ring. Typically, this type of defect will either wear in or wear out depending on the materials that are interacting. I think the most likely outcome will be that it will wear-in and the harder surface will prevail, and you will have a smooth function after it wears in.

Let's face it. These are not Swiss watches. They Are mass produced consumer electronics at the bleeding edge of consumer technology. The print reader is likely to be the way of the future, but as an early adopter of this technology AND materials, you will encounter such issues.

manuelcalavera

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2013
I don't have any problem with the sound really. But the feel is too weird. When I don't use my phone for some time, the home button acts weird. It's like something is in its way when I press it, and after a couple of clicks it gets normal.

First click after a couple of minutes is really annoying.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I don't have any problem with the sound really. But the feel is too weird. When I don't use my phone for some time, the home button acts weird. It's like something is in its way when I press it, and after a couple of clicks it gets normal.

This describes it perfectly.

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
iPhone 5S home button is making loud clicking noise

This describes my problem exactly. I have a Genius appointment tomorrow, hopefully it won't be a hassle getting it replaced or repaired.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
This describes my problem exactly. I have a Genius appointment tomorrow, hopefully it won't be a hassle getting it replaced or repaired.

I'm pretty sure you will find your replacement phone exhibits the same behavior, and the one after that, and the one after that.

My phone was replaced for a weird crunchy click. The replacement has a slightly different, but equally weird click, albeit somewhat less crunchy. And every 5S I tried in the Apple store felt and sounded basically the same...clicky and loud, more so at certain angles.

The Touch ID button is a totally new design and construction. Clearly it behaves differently than previous buttons. For one thing, it seems to travel further into the phone. I think what people are experiencing is a product of the metal ring surrounding the button.

trssho

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
My noise is officially gone. Like someone had speculated, a too close tolerance has apparently worn into the proper alignment. Now it feels as it should.

It's funny, a friend of mine came over, and I tried his 5s, button action was perfect! I showed him my click sound...... And it did it once, then no more.

People that have the sound, return it if it annoys you!!

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
I'm pretty sure you will find your replacement phone exhibits the same behavior, and the one after that, and the one after that.

My phone was replaced for a weird crunchy click. The replacement has a slightly different, but equally weird click, albeit somewhat less crunchy. And every 5S I tried in the Apple store felt and sounded basically the same...clicky and loud, more so at certain angles.

The Touch ID button is a totally new design and construction. Clearly it behaves differently than previous buttons. For one thing, it seems to travel further into the phone. I think what people are experiencing is a product of the metal ring surrounding the button.

You may have just saved me a 30 min drive. The phone is perfect otherwise. I'm going to mull this over the next 24 or so. In any event if it is a defect it might be worth it to wait a bit longer to see if a) the behavior is resolved in manufacturing or b) I simply get used to it. Decisions decisions...

manuelcalavera

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2013
I'm really curious what is happening beneath the home button. What is this mechanism that feels like there's some shattered glass under the home button?

It really feels like shattered glass is poured under the home button.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
I'm really curious what is happening beneath the home button. What is this mechanism that feels like there's some shattered glass under the home button?

It really feels like shattered glass is poured under the home button.

I'm sorry but I feel that everyone who is complaining about the home button is SEVERELY over reacting. There isn't a "crunch" to the button at all. It's tougher to press, more rigid construction. Has a more "click" sound and feel.

There is nothing to be worried about. I can't believe something so simple to understand causes such confusion.

There is nothing under your button but a more rigid construction, end of discussion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.