Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

twitter.jpg
Twitter
for iOS has been updated to version 5.12, adding in-stream previews of Twitter photos and Vine videos that are displayed directly in a user's main timeline. Full screen media content can be accessed via a tap, which is an improvement over the app's previous functionality, which required users to tap a link to view video and image content.

In addition to adding in-line media viewing, the update also brings new quick action buttons allowing users to reply, retweet, or favorite a tweet directly within the timeline.
This update includes enhancements to Tweets in the home timeline.

Be a part of the moment.
- Tweets with Twitter photos, Vine videos, and other select content now show a preview in your home timeline. Tap the image to reveal the full screen version. Tweet a picture without text, and let the image say it all.

Joining the conversation just got easier.
- You can reply, retweet, favorite, or follow someone straight from a Tweet in your home timeline.

Note: You can switch off Tweet previews in "Settings"
Twitter is a free app that can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Twitter for iOS Updated With In-Line Video and Image Previews

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
I'm not enjoying this new look. They've added labels under each tweet instead of swiping to reply, retweet, favourite etc. It looks rather messy and untidy.
I'm sure I'll get used to it though!

palmerized

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
St Jacobs, ON, Canada
No inline images on iPad version?

I updated my iPad app version, but don't see the "Show Image Preview" option... hence, no in-line images on my iPad.

iPhone update works OK...

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Does the twitter app sync your position with iCloud? This along with no image previews are the reasons I stopped using it. I'm happily using tweetbot now so I wont be going back but just curious if they ever added syncing.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Nice update. Picture previews were long overdue for iOS.

For the person above who doesn't "get" twitter,
I suggest you try it. I use it as my primary source of news and I rarely if ever tweet. It's terrific for that purpose, much better than just visiting a website. Your twitter feed can be adapted to all of your interests.

Belmont31R

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2012
I was able to revert back through iTunes. A good reason to turn auto download/updates off. Then had to disable notifications for the App Store on my phone so the red bubble would go away.

Pictures are ok...but those buttons below EVERY post is awful.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What's the issue with having the "buttons" below every post? Is it simply just the looks of it, or is there something more to it?

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
What's the issue with having the "buttons" below every post?

Because it is a complete waste of space and is ugly. You don't perform actions on every tweet. They should do like every other client and only show those actions when you select that tweet (or add swipe to view actions).

And the image previews are huge. If you get two in a row in your stream you can only see about 1.5 tweets on the screen at once. Twitter really doesn't know how to develop a mobile client. Luckily there are alternatives until they kill them off.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Because it is a complete waste of space and is ugly. You don't perform actions on every tweet. They should do like every other client and only show those actions when you select that tweet (or add swipe to view actions).

And the image previews are huge. If you get two in a row in your stream you can only see about 1.5 tweets on the screen at once. Twitter really doesn't know how to develop a mobile client. Luckily there are alternatives until they kill them off.
Well, for image previews at least you should be able to turn those off if you want to in settings. As for buttons/actions, perhaps it's part of how Twitter would like to indirectly push people to actually perform more actions--retweet things, favorite them, follow people easily, etc. They do take up a bit more space though. On the other hand, various other services/apps that have feeds (like Facebook, Instagram, Vine, etc.) do have various action buttons right with the posts in the feed as well, so it's not that strange of an idea--perhaps for Twitter in particular it is, which has mostly been text and short text at that, so maybe this is part of the evolution of the service/app (which, of course, not everyone will agree with).

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Well, for image previews at least you should be able to turn those off if you want to in settings.

Sure, you can do that already in the settings. Although I am going to stick with Tweetbot 3. It is just hard to go back to the stock app after using something like Tweetbot or Twitterific. Twitter still doesn't have the ability to get to lists easily and their "previews" only work with services they own.

pittpanthersfan

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2009
Fired up the app and saw an obnoxious Kia image inline with a Kia Promoted Tweet. Proceeded to turn off image previews right away.

dthmtlgod

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2007
Syracuse, NY
Nice update. Picture previews were long overdue for iOS.

For the person above who doesn't "get" twitter,
I suggest you try it. I use it as my primary source of news and I rarely if ever tweet. It's terrific for that purpose, much better than just visiting a website. Your twitter feed can be adapted to all of your interests.

Ditto, my twitter followers are setup so i never watch the news, video games news, weather, or sports news. Get it all in one spot. I myself switch between all the major twitter players, tweetbot, twitteric, twitter app. Going with tweetbot for now.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I never got the allure of Twitter. It just seems so stupid to me.... you're wasting your time reading useless soundbites from others, and are posting idiotic details of your own life that nobody cares about at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBO2T2aCELw

Sociologists will tell you that people have an innate need to communicate with others. It's just that nowadays, we are too busy/lazy to get together the old-fashioned way. Having said that, you're not alone, I don't tweet either, and I know for a fact, there are a few others out there who don't. (But I do spend waaay too much time on MR, lol)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.