Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A manufacturing defect has affected a small number of Apple's iPhone 5s devices causing shortened battery life and longer charging times, according to an Apple representative who spoke to The New York Times. The iPhone 5s, which was introduced in September, is rated for up to 10 hours of battery life on 3G and 250 hours of standby time.
"We recently discovered a manufacturing issue affecting a very limited number of iPhone 5S devices that could cause the battery to take longer to charge or result in reduced battery life," said Teresa Brewer, an Apple spokeswoman. "We are reaching out to customers with affected phones and will provide them with a replacement phone."
iphone5s1.jpg

Apple has not specified how many iPhones are affected by the issue, but according to The New York Times, Apple's statement suggests that only a few thousand users may be experiencing battery life issues out of several million. After the launch of the iPhone 5s and the iPhone 5c, Apple reported that it had sold a total of nine million devices, but did not break the sales number down further.

While Apple did not give specific details on the manufacturing issue or how it plans to contact affected users, the company will replace defective iPhone 5s units with functional devices.

Article Link: Apple Says Manufacturing Defect is Responsible for Battery Issues in Some iPhone 5s Devices

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
We had a mistake, here is a complete and free replacement.

Just how it should be.

Good on Apple.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
No issues with mine from launch day. Way better than iPhone 5 battery.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Expect this thread to be full of moany faux outrage about an issue affecting 0.5% of users which is being sorted for them...

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

Just how it should be.

Good on Apple.

Exactly! But sadly this forum will have some folks that will piss on Apple for not being "perfect", since Apple is the only company that employees robots and not humans. ;)

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts
And what's your excuse for the poor battery life in the iPhone 5? 4-5 hours of average use before a recharge is NOT normal. It was NOT like this with 6.1.4.

KSpider

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2006
San Diego, CA
The 5s has the longest battery life of any iPhone I can remember (have had all of them). I can legitimately go an entire day with normal amount of use and not worry about my charge. My 4/4s/5 had to be charged at work otherwise it would be dead in the evening.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Expect this thread to be full of moany faux outrage about an issue affecting 0.5% of users which is being sorted for them...

But nothing for the 4s users who have horrible battery life since upgrading to iOS 7?

Is that how it should be as well?

TheGreenBastard

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2012
Halifax
I'm very impressed with how well the battery holds up.
Until just last Saturday I was using a Galaxy S4, and by the time I get to work (7am - ~8am) my battery is usually around 89% and drains considerably during the day until I get home around 5:30pm with ~25%.

I came home today with same usage at 69%.

I'm glad my battery isn't affected.

bitslap47

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2007
Uh oh....this just invalidated the argument of a large number of conspiracy theorists that claim every issue, even software issues, are hardware problems being swept under the rug.

They just admitted to a hardware problem few have, and clearly could have kept silent and quietly contacted those affected.

There must be some ulterior motive of course...

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009

If it were 0.5% of users I would expect an outrage. Do you realize how many users that would be? I highly doubt it is even close to that number.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
my battery life is awesome. im getting 10 hours+ of usage. I'm not even having to use my Mophie most days.

S

syd430

Just how it should be.

Good on Apple.

No, they have to replace them under law. Even if it wasn't under law, they would still run the cost/benefit scenarios. Only on MR do people think that every little thing that Apple does is from the kindness of their hearts.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I hope mine is part of that recall. Not that I particularly have battery issues, but I've nicked mine a couple times already sigh

ap105

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2011
I think I was affected with this issue. I got two replaced and the one I am on seems way better than the previous ones I had. All my start with DNP serial numbers. Glad I wasn't making false claims because my iPhone 5s battery was worse than my iPhone 5 battery. Seems better now though, even though this iPhones serial number begins with DNP also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.