Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At its October 22 iPad-centric event, Apple provided multiple publications with iPad Air review units. The embargo on reviews has just been lifted, which means several sites are now posting their thoughts on the thinner, lighter iPad Air. We've gathered some relevant excerpts from each site in order to highlight the general release reaction to Apple's newest iPad.

ipadair3.jpg

Jim Dalrymple, The Loop
It's very hard to describe how good the iPad Air feels in your hand without actually picking one up. It's kind of like the first time you saw a Retina display for the first time--shock.

This smaller size is great. If you have decent sized hands you can type with two thumbs on the iPad in portrait, something I wasn't really able to do with the last generation iPad without a lot of stretching. Clearly a full-size iPad is not something you will be thumb typing with all the time, but it does give you an idea of how much smaller the iPad Air is.
Walt Mossberg, AllThingsD
In a feat of design and engineering, Apple has slashed the iPad's weight by 28%, made it 20% thinner and 9% narrower, while increasing its speed and retaining the brilliant, 9.7-inch Retina display.

The new iPad weighs just 1 pound, down from 1.4 pounds for the previous top-of-the-line model, the iPad 4, which is being discontinued.

And it has done all this while maintaining the iPad's industry-leading battery life. In my tests, the iPad Air far exceeded Apple's claim of 10 hours of battery life. For over 12 hours, it played high-definition videos, nonstop, with the screen at 75% brightness, with Wi-Fi on and emails pouring in. That's the best battery life I've ever recorded for any tablet.
DSC08781.jpg

Brad Molen, Engadget
Yes, as strange as it may sound, the latest iPad is actually just a larger version of the 7.9-inch mini. It's as if the smaller device -- which launched at the same time as the fourth-gen iPad -- was a pilot test for Jony Ive's new design language. Calling it the "Air" was fitting indeed, since it's ridiculously small and light compared to previous models.

It measures 7.5mm thick and weighs only one pound (1.03 pounds, to be exact), making it 1.9mm thinner and 0.43 pound lighter than the iPad 4. Apple's also trimmed the left and right bezel by roughly 8mm on each side. If that doesn't sound significant, just hold the Air for a minute and then pick up an older iPad; the difference is immediately noticeable. Simply put, the iPad Air is the most comfortable 10-inch tablet we've ever used.
Matt Warman, The Telegraph
Its light weight and thin form mean it gets out of the way - you don't notice it, but you notice what you're doing on it. That, potentially, unleashes a new generation of tablet-based productivity. The fact that Apple is now giving away even more software means that perhaps the rebranding is, therefore, more than simply a marketing exercise. Air may yet be the oxygen for a new wave of uses for the iPad.
Edward Baig, USA Today
As it happens, though, this latest full-size Apple tablet is the most tempting iPad yet, better than its already best of breed predecessors, superior still to each and every rival big screen slate that I've tested. Apple dominates the tablet apps ecosystem. Its tablet remains the easiest to use.

In a side-by-side comparison against its immediate predecessor, the new iPad indeed opened apps more quickly and booted up and shut down slightly faster, though not to such a degree that I expect most people to notice.
Damon Darlin, The New York Times
What you may not know is this: Those 6.4 ounces make all the difference when, as you recline while reading or watching a movie, you conk out and the iPad falls forward to bonk you on the nose. The Air won't hurt you the way the old iPad did.

The weight reduction and a 20 percent slimmer profile provide other benefits, too. My messenger bag strap didn't dig into my shoulder as deeply when my iPad was in it. My hand didn't cramp up while grasping the iPad Air for an hour while watching movies or playing games.
Other reviews:

David Pogue
AnandTech
CNET
Fox News
Pocket-lint
Mashable
Bloomberg
T3
TechCrunch

Apple's iPad Air will be available to the public beginning on Friday, November 1, with initial online orders beginning at 12:01 AM Pacific Time in the United States and at varying times in other countries. Apple retail locations will open at 8 AM local time on Friday to begin in-store sales.

Article Link: First iPad Air Reviews: 'Ridiculously Small and Light', Apple's Most 'Tempting Tablet Yet'

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
I need a new one for work, but can't decide between mini and Air.

Will the Air have more RAM, or are the specs essentially the same, what do you predict?

(not a deal breaker, but I'd like to have all the info)

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
No Verge review? :p

Damn I want the iPad Air. I'm stuck with the "prototype" iPad.:mad::rolleyes:

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
Was going to get the Mini, but now leaning towards the Air. Why do they make these decisions so hard for us?

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Did anyone of them mention the RAM amount?

I know Engadget's review does:

Engadget said:
As we said, this is the same processor that powers the iPhone 5s, but the Air offers both cores at a slightly higher clock speed (1.4GHz, instead of the iPhone's 1.3GHz) and comes with 1GB of RAM.

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
I need a new one for work, but can't decide between mini and Air.

Will the Air have more RAM, or are the specs essentially the same, what do you predict?

(not a deal breaker, but I'd like to have all the info)

Rumors saying that they both have 1GB of RAM. So essentially the iPad Air is the bigger iPad Mini.

Be a (wo)man, get the Air. :cool:;)

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Heh, as usual the sock puppets give glowing reviews...

I mean, what's really that drastically different other than being lighter and thinner?

westcoastin

macrumors member
May 3, 2011
Good to see the iPad Air receiving such positive feedback. Can't wait to check it out at the store on Friday.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
Heh, as usual the sock puppets give glowing reviews...

I mean, what's really that drastically different other than being lighter and thinner?

Twice as fast, and better cameras. I'd say that, plus being significantly lighter and smaller, is pretty compelling.

The question is... New iPad Air to replace my gen 1 mini, or a retina mini?! I knew this moment would come. It was obvious that when the original mini was released, the next major redesign of the iPad would follow suit. I've loved my mini, but it's going to be a tough choice!

miazma

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
Optimizing

Nice to see how Apple is able to optimize their products to even have more battery life than announced according to AllThingsD, while competitors have to optimize their products to cheat on benchmarks :-D

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
UGH, I'm trying so hard to resist buying a 64GB LTE model iPad air. I've upgraded to every model of iPad minus the 4th gen, this one is so hard to resist!

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
David Pogue Review - Black and White colors

That being said. A lot of favorable reviews.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.