Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

John Poole of Primate Labs has revealed Geekbench 3 benchmarks for the new iPad Air, revealing that the device's 64-bit A7 chip is running at 1.4 GHz, scoring a 1465 on the single-core test and a 2643 on the multi-core test.
ipadair_benchmark1.png

True to Apple's claims, the iPad Air benchmarks about twice as fast as the 4th generation iPad, with the A7 processor found in the new iPad coming in at 100MHz faster than the 1.3 GHz A7 chip found on the iPhone 5s. Poole claims that this is likely due to a number of factors such as a larger battery in the iPad Air that provides more power and a larger chassis that provides better cooling. Poole also notes that he expects the upcoming iPad mini with Retina Display to use the same A7 chip running at 1.4 GHz.

ipadair_benchmark2.png

The iPad Air will be available beginning on Friday, November 1, with initial online orders beginning at 12:01 AM Pacific Time in the United States and at varying times in other countries. Apple retail locations will open at 8 AM local time on Friday to begin in-store sales.

Article Link: iPad Air Benchmarks Reveal 1.4 GHz A7 Processor, 2x Performance Gain Over iPad 4

chowmein

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2009
that's an insane performance boost in one generation. definitely looking forward to how the retina mini compares to everything else.

luqtotheman

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
Woah, iPad air didn't perform much like a "air" product. Crazy improvement, can't wait to use it myself.

DrFu79

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2008
Norway
To my knowledge no one really complained about the speed of the last generation, so a performance boost of this magnitude while making it so much lighter and thinner is a good thing. Props to Apple.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Would be nice to see the 5s, 5c, and 5 on that chart for comparison.

But it makes the current Mini and legacy iPad 2 both looks like dogs.

DrFu79

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2008
Norway
So, in the span of just 19 Months the iPad performance jumped 561% from 263 to 1465?

That is just insane. And people complain about Apple not innovating.

EDIT: If you extrapolate that in the future, we would have an iPad in May 2015 that has a geekbench single-Processor score of 8218,65. I know, it doesn't work that way. But think about it ...

Last edited:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
It's really stepping into the performance level of laptops a few years ago. That's really crazy and unimaginable when the original iPad debuted in 2010. :eek:

Comparing to the iPad 3, iPad mini in 2012... both of them seem to be the legacy of Steve Jobs era when Tim was still busy trying to take up the CEO job. Apple seems to have regained the innovative power in 2013 after Scott Forstall's departure from the company.

Morgs30

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2013
So, in the span of just 19 Months the iPad performance jumped 561% from 263 to 1465?

That is just insane. And people complain about Apple not innovating.

Well said mate. It's insane performance FairPlay to apple

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
I have never thought for a moment that my iPad 3 or mini was slow, so I am interested to know how these results work in real world application.

Meaning that the speed of my web browser is often determined by the speed of my ISP, so how useful is this speed in reality?

Everything else is just App's opening and closing in simple terms (which is pretty fast anyway) and then App's running as they are designed to run, regardless of processor speeds.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
Would be nice to see the 5s, 5c, and 5 on that chart for comparison.

But it makes the current Mini and legacy iPad 2 both looks like dogs.

Full iOS results for released products are here: http://browser.primatelabs.com/ios-benchmarks

Short version (single core / multi core):

iPad Air: 1485 / 2643
iPhone 5S 1400 / 2524
iPad 4: 771 / 1408
iPhone 5C: 699 / 1245
iPad 2: 262 / 496
iPad Mini: 261 / 495
iPad 3: 260 / 493

Right about what you'd expect between the Air and 5S and a clear 2x improvement from the A6-based devices. Shows just how quickly Apple have developed their CPU architecture, two generations to realise an almost 6x performance improvement (single thread, multi is around 5x) is verging on ridiculous. Doubly so when you consider that power consumption and clock speed has remained more or less the same.

Last edited:

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I have never thought for a moment that my iPad 3 or mini was slow, so I am interested to know how these results work in real world application.

Meaning that the speed of my web browser is often determined by the speed of my ISP, so how useful is this speed in reality?

Everything else is just App's opening and closing in simple terms (which is pretty fast anyway) and then App's running as they are designed to run, regardless of processor speeds.

One area where I think there will be a noticeable improvement in is web page renders. I know compared to the iPhone 4s, a 5s I've seen renders web pages very fast. They just seem to pop onto the screen.

I have an iPad 3 and it doesn't feel sluggish but I'll bet the web surfing experience will feel faster if pages render as quickly as they do with the iPhone 5s. The Air also has dual Wifi antennas which should help too.

thleeal

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009

How long till one of these mobile processors can rival something like a mobile intel processor?

i.e. is the A7 as powerful as the Core2duo @ 2.0GHz?

If apple can brand their own mobile processors and have them made, how long till they are making desktop and mobile chips? just a thought....

interesting future for sure...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.