Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After Apple's first magazine advertisement for the iPhone 5s appeared two weeks ago, another spot for the phone showcasing the company's faster 64-bit A7 processor has surfaced, reports 9to5Mac. The ad depicts the iPhone 5s from a profile view, and includes a paragraph that describes the advantages of the processor in the context of all-around performance.

5s_magad2.jpg
Desktop power. Pocket size.

We do everything on our phones. That's why the new A7 chip was designed to handle, well, anything. It puts 64-bit desktop architecture in your palm, a first for any smartphone. You get stunning, true-to-life graphics and up to 2x faster performance without sacrificing all-day battery life.

The A7 chip. Only on iPhone 5s.
The advertisement depicted includes Verizon Wireless branding, but Apple's iPhone ads have traditionally rotated branding between all the carriers that carry the iPhone, likely as part of a co-marketing agreement.

Apple has been running many television ads for the iPhone 5c in recent weeks, but we have seen relatively little about the 5s, likely because of tight supplies. Print ads for the device so far have mentioned 'limited avaliability' of the iPhone 5s in fine print.

Article Link: Another Magazine Advertisement for iPhone 5s Surfaces, Highlights 64-Bit A7 Processor

medi.freak

macrumors regular
May 26, 2011
it's crazy how they manage to make millions of people think they need a new phone every year...
...they're so good at it, I have to tell myself every year why I don't need one :D

...didn't work last time (currently on iphone 5 ) ;)

DrFu79

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2008
Norway
Apple really seems to have delivered with the A7. Even AnandTech states, it is more than having a tablet processor in a phone than the other way around.

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011
The iPhone 5 was fast enough for everything you could dream up of using on a phone.

Yeah sure, please all of you: Apple, Samsung, Qualcomm; STOP DEVELOPMENT! This guy can do everything he can think of. There is no reason for a faster CPU anymore. There is no possibility that there is going to be a use for even more CPU Power :rolleyes:

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
64-bit--huh? A7--wha--?

To the average person and most computer users, that means little-to-nothing. Ultimately, the simple question is always, "WHAT CAN I DO WITH IT??" The answer is simple: "Everything you were able to do on the previous phones."

Apple is hitting a wall. Not in their technical improvements with processor speed and battery hours, but in the pure expansion of the device's ability...

Desktop Power. Limited by iOS7 software.

Exactly.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
I still don't understand why 64-bit is important right now for mobile devices when they only have about 1 GB of RAM.

MattJessop

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
Manchester, UK
I remember when they advertised the Motorola Xoom as having a 'dual core processor', and the people in the advert being 'ooooh that's awesome', whereas the Apple adverts at the time were all about the ways the phone would help you.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd bet that most people don't know what a 64-bit architecture is.

Heck, maybe I'm being grumpy. Maybe 64 bit means we get this now :D

N64.jpg

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
That ad just highlights to me that the screen still sits proud when it probably shouldn't. I'm still thinking the 5 design was intended for thinner IZGO screens that didn't materialise in time...

Iconoclassst

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I don't think a lot of people know anything about computer architecture in general. There are the select few that know how everything works under the hood of the hood. In my opinion, a 64 bit architecture is not important just yet. It is revolutionary in the sense that they packed such a powerful processor in such a small space, but it won't be used to its fullest on just 1GB of RAM.

However, knowing Apple, they're always up to something and I believe they're laying down a foundation for something big. Steve often referred to the "Post-PC" world, this chip is a step forward in expanding the fall of the PC as we knew it.

In the end, Apples UNIX infrastructure allows their product to be so responsive on just 1GB of RAM, and I'm mainly referring to iPhone 5s that came in benchmarks better than almost every phone with a dual core/quad core, 2GB or 3GB of RAM on the market today.

It's nothing revolutionary, but it's sure as hell is impressive.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I still don't understand why 64-bit is important right now for mobile devices when they only have about 1 GB of RAM.

From what I understand this is a forward looking move by Apple. It increases speed now because Apple took this opportunity to write a new instruction set for the 64-bit A7. 64-bit processors also have more registers which allow the processor itself to hold more data and access it faster. Nothing to do with addressing more RAM at this point in time though.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
"640K ought to be enough for anybody." -- Bill Gates

I think by now everybody knows that he never said that. This is one of the most over-used made-up quotes of all time.

That being said, probably without even knowing it, you pointed at THE reason why the 64-Bit architecture used in the iPhone 5S doesn't serve any real purpose at all: The phone has less than 4 GB RAM, so you simply don't need a 64-Bit architecture. At this point, the processor is busy with shoveling a lot of unused zeros around and the performance gain has nothing to do with the 64-Bit design of the processor; that all comes down to the other optimizations in the CPU and its supporting hardware.

The only reason they put a 64-Bit processor in their current machines is to lay a foundation for future use so that software developers might have an incentive to begin porting their software. But by the time 64-Bit hardware becomes the standard, or at least useful in a mobile gadget, your current hardware will be entirely obsolete and long forgotten --> that's the typical fate of any first generation hardware.

ARM have released the first 64-Bit designs a couple of years ago, but we are still at least three to four years away from the time when 64-Bit processors and 64-Bit software in mobile devices will turn into a critical mass.

Just look at the Mac. Apple switched to pure 64-Bit Intel processors in late 2006/early 2007 and most of the software for OS X is STILL pure 32-Bit software.

Microsoft made the 64-Bit design a first class citizen in Vista (although there were 64-Bit versions of Windows XP, too), but even until today most software for Windows still is pure 32-Bit.

Why? Because only applications like Photoshop or video editing software and maybe DAW solutions truly benefit from 64-Bit designs. For everything else, a 32-Bit address space will always be more than enough.

There are only few application domains where a 64-Bit architecture is what you need.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
I think by now everybody knows that he never said that. This is one of the most over-used made-up quotes of all time.

That being said, probably without even knowing it, you pointed at THE reason why the 64-Bit architecture used in the iPhone 5S doesn't serve any real purpose at all: The phone has less than 4 GB RAM, so you simply don't need a 64-Bit architecture. At this point, the processor is busy with shoveling a lot of unused zeros around and the performance gain has nothing to do with the 64-Bit design of the processor; that all comes down to the other optimizations in the CPU and its supporting hardware.

Lighten up. The quote was to show how ridiculous the statement I replied to about the iPhone 5 having enough power for anything you'd want to do with a phone. Whether Gates said it or not, it's the same type of silly, backwards-thinking attitude.

And as to your 64-bit-is-useless tirade, you should read this article because...you're wrong. There's many things Apple did with those 64-bits, including things like packing pointers with extra info to avoid lookups on reference counts.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
"The A7 chip. Only on iPhone 5s."

And iPad Air.

And iPad Mini with Retina Display

it's crazy how they manage to make millions of people think they need a new phone every year...
...they're so good at it, I have to tell myself every year why I don't need one :D

...didn't work last time (currently on iphone 5 ) ;)

They don't. Most people upgrade every 2-3 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.