Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
So, in the span of just 19 Months the iPad performance jumped 561% from 263 to 1465?

That is just insane. And people complain about Apple not innovating.

EDIT: If you extrapolate that in the future, we would have an iPad in May 2015 that has a geekbench single-Processor score of 8218,65. I know, it doesn't work that way. But think about it ...

It won't happen. It's taken 4 years to get a 2.2x increase in single core performance between the Core 2 Duo of the 2009 Mac Mini and the Core i7 in the latest Macbook Pro. CPUs arn't increasing in leaps in bounds for single core performance and Quad core systems have been floating around the same 10,000 - 13,000 speeds for at least 2 years now accounting for Hyperthreading. If anything, the iPad/iPhone CPU will start approaching i5 speeds in another 2 years or so.

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
Are these benchmarks comparable across processor architectures? If they are, then the iPad Air/mini are about as powerful as my core 2 duo MacBook, which is seven years old.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
So, in the span of just 19 Months the iPad performance jumped 561% from 263 to 1465?

Personally, I call this iterating... But nothing wrong with that... True revolutions don't happen every year. It seems people expect these with every release.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Meaning that the speed of my web browser is often determined by the speed of my ISP, so how useful is this speed in reality?

The speed of downloading the bits of the content (HTML, javascript, images, animations) is determined by your internet speed...

but the RENDERING of this content is determined by the speed of your device. The more animations, javascript moving doo-hickeys on the page, large tables, etc., and your ability to scroll and zoom around this content will be faster on an iPad Air vs earlier iPad.

----------

Yeah, my ipad 3 is totally unusable today! Yesterday it was fine... ;)

Keep your iPad 3 for a while.

I still have an iPad 1. This is finally time for me to upgrade. My iPad 1 is still usable, so I can't imagine how the speeds will affect me. What is my iPad 1 benchmark score, like a 50?

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
Its seems that the iPad Air has respectable computing power, but still, I cannot use it for any real, actual work. There are very few pro apps which I find compelling enough to make me want the iPad.

yossi

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
So they are still selling the ipad 2 to people who want to save $100 and get 1/5 the performance?

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Keep your iPad 3 for a while.

I still have an iPad 1. This is finally time for me to upgrade. My iPad 1 is still usable, so I can't imagine how the speeds will affect me. What is my iPad 1 benchmark score, like a 50?

This made me realise how different people are in what they demand of their units :p.

I bought an iPad 1 back when it was released and never really used it at all because it was too slow while browsing compared to the Mac laptop I had back then. I just put it away in the box really.

I started using an iPad instead of my laptop from browsing somewhere when the iPad 4 was released since they were almost neck to neck while browsing.

Derekeys

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Battery confusion

I'm having a tough time finding the the MaH capacity specs of the iPad air. I'm confused... didn't Schiller say the iPad air battery was smaller than previous generations and could still get the same 10 hrs because of the performance / economy of the A7?

And if that's true what's with the quote in this article?

"True to Apple's claims, the iPad Air benchmarks about twice as fast as the 4th generation iPad, with the A7 processor found in the new iPad coming in at 100MHz faster than the 1.3 GHz A7 chip found on the iPhone 5s. Poole claims that this is likely due to a number of factors such as a larger battery in the iPad Air that provides more power and a larger chassis that provides better cooling."

S

syd430

Congrats to MR on 10,000 news items:

BuuTOIc.png

Last edited by a moderator:

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX

EDIT: If you extrapolate that in the future, we would have an iPad in May 2015 that has a geekbench single-Processor score of 8218,65. I know, it doesn't work that way. But think about it ...

Curious, where did 19 months come from?

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
As a picture frame or a fancy wall-mounted watch.

Pages for iOS requires iOS 7. iOS 7 requires an iPad 2.

My mother in law still uses her first gen iPad, but she's planning on updating to the iPad Air "for the grandkids" so they can run the latest apps! LOL

Sure. For the grandkids. :)

cgk.emu

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
This shows just how bad the iPad mini was, and the 3rd gen iPad!

It wasn't bad. You have to look at it as a comparison of what was out at the time, versus what is out now. Yeah, compared to what is out now it was/is slowER, but not SLOW. Get it? It frustrates me when people say, "OMFG look how SLOOOOW my XYZ device is now!!" Er, uh no. It didn't magically slow down when something new came out.

PlainviewX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2013
Great score. I just wish there weren't two next-gen consoles coming out at the same time. Next year I'll upgrade.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
I'm having a tough time finding the the MaH capacity specs of the iPad air. I'm confused... didn't Schiller say the iPad air battery was smaller than previous generations and could still get the same 10 hrs because of the performance / economy of the A7?

And if that's true what's with the quote in this article?

"True to Apple's claims, the iPad Air benchmarks about twice as fast as the 4th generation iPad, with the A7 processor found in the new iPad coming in at 100MHz faster than the 1.3 GHz A7 chip found on the iPhone 5s. Poole claims that this is likely due to a number of factors such as a larger battery in the iPad Air that provides more power and a larger chassis that provides better cooling."
The larger battery in comparison to the 5S.

xyion1

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
Personally, I call this iterating... But nothing wrong with that... True revolutions don't happen every year. It seems people expect these with every release.

Sure, there is a distinction between revolutions & iterations, but both can be innovative.

I don't know the exact specifics with the underlying technologies Apple is using in the iPad Air, but they had to come up with innovative engineering (palm rejection through SW for bezel reduction, 10 hour battery life with smaller battery, etc) in order to make this product.

Doubly so for the retina mini, which has an even smaller chassis to pack all this technology in despite the same chip, retina screen, etc. This goes all the way from the chip design to the casing. And with no fans or moving parts! Its absolutely amazing if you look as whats happened over the past 3 years.

The challenge is always in the trade offs between your design vision and the end product - with these new iOS devices, I'm not sure what Apple traded off. It may "seem" iterative, but its pretty cool what they accomplished.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011

Actually 31 months, but still impressive yes.

----------

Curious, where did 19 months come from?

They are using the iPad 3 as the basis, and it was introduced 19 months ago. However, like I'm saying earlier, this is not accurate. The iPad 3, just like the iPad mini and iPod Touch after it, and the iPhone 4s before it, all used the A5 chip which was introduced a year before that, so the correct number is 31 months.

DVK916

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2006
Remember this is only CPU performance, graphics performance shows almost no gains, so apple 2X was misleading.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Great score. I just wish there weren't two next-gen consoles coming out at the same time. Next year I'll upgrade.

Speaking of which. I just had a thought:

Imagine, if you will, a world where Apple waits 6-7 years between iPad generations. Hmmmm, who would wait for that?

"But it's the 'next-gen' iPad!" they'd say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.