Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

omeletpants

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
playing around with different configurations to order. On my current iMac it says I'm only using 80gb on my hard drive. I cant imagine exceeding the 250gb limit of the flash drive. Any downside in ordering one?

BTW, I just did some testing of my current 2013 iMac 27" and the read and write speeds were both about 160mb max using the Blackmagic program

Last edited:

toddzrx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I run a 2010 iMac with an internal SSD I installed myself, combined with a 1TB external HD for storage of music, photos, and a couple movies. I really like the setup, and while I don't have the automatic file management of a Fusion Drive between the SSD and HD, it doesn't make a difference (anything non-media is on the SSD: OS, apps, and all other data).

In your situation, I see no reason why the SSD isn't the best option. You'll love the SSD speed, especially now that it's over a PCIe bus.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
If you can live with the space restriction, then the only reason not to get the SSD is cost... beyond that, I don't see any downside. An SSD is definitely a big speed boost.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks how will it benefit gaming?

Anything that loads data or applications off the disk will be faster since SSDs are much faster with disk seek and load times, so the original launch of the game will be much faster. But once the game is loaded/launched an SSD is not going to make much of a difference in actual gameplay.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
The Fusion drive also isn't a bad way to go if you'd like the benefit of the SSD with the added bonus of more storage space, I've got one on my Mini and have been very happy with the performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.