Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The iPad Air's graphics performance was 40 to 70 percent better than its predecessor in benchmarks conducted by AnandTech in an extensive review of the new tablet. Like the iPhone 5s, the iPad Air incorporates an A7 chip with IMG's PowerVR G6430 graphics processing unit (GPU), which is estimated to have a max GPU clock of 450 Mhz.

In T-Rex HD game simulation benchmarks, the iPad Air performed up to 75 percent better than the fourth-generation iPad and up to 36 percent better in the 3DMark Ice Storm benchmark. GPU gains over the iPad 4 were as high as 60 percent in 3DMark's GPU-specific benchmark suite.

graphicsscore.jpg

While the iPad Air outperformed the iPad 4 in the majority of tests, there was a decline in triangle rate performance in the new model, though AnandTech has yet to see any real world impact from this change.

Along with significant improvements in GPU performance, the iPad Air has also shown huge gains in processing power. In Geekbench 3 benchmarks published today, the iPad Air was found to be twice as fast as the iPad 4.

AnandTech has a full review of the iPad Air that includes an array of benchmarks comparing the GPU performance of the iPad Air, the fourth-generation iPad, the iPhone 5s, the iPad mini, and several competing Android tablets. It's well worth a read to see the full scope of the iPad Air's performance improvements over both its predecessor and other tablets on the market.

Article Link: iPad Air Graphics Performance 40-70% Better Than iPad 4

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
So every paragraph of the anandtech review gets its own headline here?

bluebird3

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2013
I'm going to get me one!!!!
I know when the right product comes and keep hearing about so many positive reviews, that's when I know exactly what to pull a trigger on!

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Can't wait to see iPad Mini (2nd gen) benchmarks :)

Though I also can't wait to head to an Apple store Friday and play with these new iPad Air's. They seem pretty awesome!

elvetio

macrumors member
May 29, 2012

It's all meaningless when the game library on iOS is full of "tap here to win" games.

Maybe you would prefer a Surface like experience.. That way you could play whatever games you'd like.

First comes the spec bump, then developers follow. There was no tablet app store before the original iPad came out.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Without Touch ID, there's no chance I'd upgrade even given the somewhat sluggish performance of iOS 7 on my third-gen iPad.

If this year's iPad had all the specs it has now plus Touch ID, I'd be thinking long and hard about it.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Without Touch ID, there's no chance I'd upgrade even given the somewhat sluggish performance of iOS 7 on my third-gen iPad.

If this year's iPad had all the specs it has now plus Touch ID, I'd be thinking long and hard about it.

So instead of wanting it for its screen, light weight, fast speed, and thin profile in order to view the web and consume content...you want it so you can keep scanning your finger? Why punish yourself for an entire year just to get Touch ID?

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I find it surprising that the iPad Air is on par with the Nvidia Shield which is meant to be a gaming tablet.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
Yes. No doubt the speed of the new ipad is impressive, but to what end? Most apps are simplistic and require about 5% of that processing power. The more demanding ones are games, which are for children.

:apple:

Exactly. :rolleyes:

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
It's all meaningless when the game library on iOS is full of "tap here to win" games.

Not that I really game on iOS but that's not really true.

----------

Yes. No doubt the speed of the new ipad is impressive, but to what end? Most apps are simplistic and require about 5% of that processing power. The more demanding ones are games, which are for children.

:apple:

I can definitely see this being great for digital audio workstation software like Garage Band.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Maybe you would prefer a Surface like experience.. That way you could play whatever games you'd like.

First comes the spec bump, then developers follow. There was no tablet app store before the original iPad came out.

*Surface Pro. Unless whatever games you like include that one top-down halo game released for WinRT.

monkeybear0145

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2013

Have you see the benchmarks of the 3rd gen to the 4th gen? Then the 4th gen to the Air? If your 3rd gen is running slow, it's not iOS 7's fault since I'm able to run it perfectly fine on my 2nd gen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.