Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2009
So, the retina ipad and MacBook Pro have me spoiled.

What's your recommendation for a monitor? I have two dell 27 inch monitors running now. They are ok, but they are about three years old, so quality is eh at best.

What' sever hone running? I love the apple display, but don't really want to spend two grand for my dual monitor setup.

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
Compared to the apple retina products, no 27" monitor will even come close to the pixel density. 2560x1440 is pretty standard for a monitor that size. So unless you are upgrading from 1920x1080 monitors, the upgrade will probably seem underwhelming.

If you are looking to spend less than $1000 per monitor, Dell Ultrasharps seem to be popular at around $600 a piece. Some MR members have tried the off-brand Korean monitors for about $400 and have found success.

If the dells that you have now are good quality monitors, I'd wait until 4K monitors become mainstream to upgrade. Where specifically do your current monitors fall short? Saying they are "eh at best" makes it difficult to recommend a replacement.

oaltun

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2013
So, the retina ipad and MacBook Pro have me spoiled.

What's your recommendation for a monitor? I have two dell 27 inch monitors running now. They are ok, but they are about three years old, so quality is eh at best.

What' sever hone running? I love the apple display, but don't really want to spend two grand for my dual monitor setup.

Well, first of all, as far as I'm aware, to drive two 27 inch monitors with MBP - you would need 2 Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapters - which will occupy 2 thunderbolt and 2 USB 3.0 ports - which is almost all the connections. Plus to plug in and out will be quite a hassle every time. On top, these adapters work VERY poorly, with reported issues on the product site, and personally half of the time I plug this adaptor to the monitor, I get a snowy screen. it goes away if I turn off/on the monitor 1 or 2 times.

So I think Apple thunderbolt displays is the only way to go with daisy chaining and you can use them as docking stations.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2009
Well, first of all, as far as I'm aware, to drive two 27 inch monitors with MBP - you would need 2 Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapters - which will occupy 2 thunderbolt and 2 USB 3.0 ports - which is almost all the connections. Plus to plug in and out will be quite a hassle every time. On top, these adapters work VERY poorly, with reported issues on the product site, and personally half of the time I plug this adaptor to the monitor, I get a snowy screen. it goes away if I turn off/on the monitor 1 or 2 times.

So I think Apple thunderbolt displays is the only way to go with daisy chaining and you can use them as docking stations.

Monitors are for my mini. Just was comparing the monitors on the Rmbp.

----------

Well, thinking I'll just buy a few of the apple displays.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
:apple:thunderbolt display is very very nice.
Nevertheless i use a 46" samsung 1080p with my mini.
Not as sharp but usable from across the room. Rocks! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.