Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

13inchrmbp.jpg
Apple is working on a fix for new 13-inch Retina MacBook Pros that are experiencing issues with the trackpad and keyboard, according to a recently posted Apple knowledge base page (via CNET).

Shortly after the revamped 13-inch MacBook Pros were introduced on October 22, users began complaining about a bug causing the trackpad and the keyboard to lock up at random during usage. At the time, it was unclear whether the issues were hardware or software based, but Apple claims to be working on an update to fix the lock up, which indicates a software-based problem.
Apple is aware of rare circumstances where the built-in keyboard and Multi-Touch trackpad may become unresponsive on 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display (Late 2013) computers and is working on an update to resolve this behavior.
Apple does not give a timeline on when a potential update might be ready, but to fix the problem temporarily, the company suggests that users experiencing issues should reset the keyboard and the trackpad by closing the computer's display for a minute before reopening it.

Article Link: Apple Preparing Update for Unresponsive Keyboard/Trackpad Issue in New 13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro

Last edited:

quantumphysics

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2011
My MBA still goes black screen sometimes out of nowhere and cannot be woken up. No update ever fixed this...

parkds

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2003
My 2013 iMac is also having this issue. The mouse and keyboard will become unresponsive (via either bluetooth or USB) and audio will stop, but things continue to run on the computer. Pressing the power button to do a hard restart brings up the sleep / restart / shutdown window, suggesting that this is some sort of i/o issue.

rlycody

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
My 13" mbp has been doing this randomly since it arrived friday. Neither my trackpad nor my keyboard will respond whatsoever. Have had to do a hard reset about once a day bc of it. Not terribly annoying yet, but certainly getting there.

Beezy253

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
Tacoma, WA
I wonder if the fix will be out by this weekend.

If I was experiencing these issue, I would be demanding compensation.

But that's just me :D

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I had something similar happen on my mid-2012 cMBP 13" last night. I couldn't click anything, but the caps-lock key still lit up, and I could command-tab through applications (although the application switcher didn't show up). Other key commands did not work, like command Q. I could bring up force-quit, but it wouldn't let me arrow up or down or hit return to quit an application. It wasn't frozen as menu bar items like the clock were updating.

I tried putting it to sleep several times by closing it. It wouldn't go to sleep. After the third time, even though it didn't seem to go to sleep, when I opened it, it was on the lock screen, and I could sign back in, and everything was working and where I had left it.

I've had a lot of other weird things like that happen lately. Like one day I came back to it and the screen was black but it was still running and not asleep (and brightness was not down). Had to power it down that time.

buysp

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2013
Sydney, Australia
My Late 2013 13" rMBP has been displaying these issues and i have convinced myself to take it back within the 14 day period but i will hold out now for the update.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
They don't seem to care yet release a statement acknowledging the issue and that a fix is in the works? Riiiight...

With the premium Apple demands, and people pay, one would expect the hardware to be released without the need for a fix in the first place.

If the premium price isn't for higher quality, what in the world is it for?

Renzatic

Suspended
With the premium Apple demands, and people pay, one would expect the hardware to be released without the need for a fix in the first place.

If the premium price isn't for higher quality, what in the world is it for?

Sometimes unintended crap just happens. So long as a free fix is provided in a timely manner, it's nothing more than a slight annoyance.

Though with that said, there's no way in hell I'll buy an Apple until it's been out for a good month or so. It seems that with just about every one of their new releases, they always end up issuing a statement like "oh, we broke wifi again" not even a week later.

...then, as with the tide, the inevitable "I don't know why everyone is making such a big deal out this, it only effects 0.000001% of the population" posts start rolling in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.