Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keukasmallie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2011
WNY
I may have an incomplete understanding of iBooks, but at this point I can't even imagine why one would use iBooks over Kindle. Using the Overdrive function subscribed to by almost all public libraries, one can down load ebooks galore simply by getting a valid library card. For example, NYS residents are entitled to use the New York [city] Public Library. Get a card, utilize their ebook borrowing procedure and you're golden!

So, what am I missing by not using iBooks?

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I use both. not everything is available in Overdrive...in fact older books are not available. It's only newer books that go to Overdrive.

The publishers aren't happy about Overdrive - some libraries are skipping specific publishers because they make unreasonable demands, like the ebook can only be loaned 21 times and then you have to buy a new one.

iBooks and Kindle are pretty much the same to me... I find Kindle app easier since I buy a lot of stuff on Amazon.

Stewart21

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2011
South Yorkshire
I use iBooks, Kindle and Kobo. I buy the book from the cheapest source. There's no real difference between them to me once the book is on screen.

Stewart

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
The $100 gift card they have for back-to-school can be used in iBooks. A free $12 book costs less than a paid $10 book.

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
I've used iBooks, Kindle and Kobo. I prefer the Kindle app out of all of them, but I use Kobo because I have an actual Kobo ereader which is nicer to read on than any of the apps.
Kobo has better ebook pricing (at least in Canada) than Kindle and iBooks for what I typically read.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Personal preference, since I buy mostly iBooks for my iPad it makes sense for me to use the iBook app. I do buy kindle books from time to time however.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Most of the books that I have are on the Kindle app. I have a Kindle Touch, but mainly use my iPad to read with. I had preferred the iBooks app, but the Kindle library is much larger and offers more free titles. Some of the best books I read were from Kindle and they were free. That's not to say I only download free books, I have paid for the majority of my collection. There are books that I was able to get for free that I was on the fence about.

Since iBooks was first introduced their available library has increased quite a bit. Now I will basically get the book from the cheapest source or in the case of a recent pre-order where both iBooks and Kindle were offering the book at the same price I went with the service that I had most of the rest of the book series on, in this case Kindle. The book in question was the 9th in the series and I have all eight of the other books of the series on Kindle. So to keep them together I got it on Kindle.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I buy wherever the books are the cheapest; and then convert all of them to iBooks without DRM. Generally I read on iBooks because I like the UI the best.

Oudinot

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2013
Birmingham, AL USA
I prefer the way iBooks UI works and primarily download from iBooks. If I am forced, by book selection, to use Amazon/Kindle then I convert them to iBooks immediately.

Keukasmallie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2011
WNY
Whole different deal: I never buy books. I use Kindle/Amazon to borrow books from libraries. I have library cards for the Monroe Country Library System In NYS, the NYPL in NYC and the Santa Barbara County Library System in CA.

Overdrive and similar systems provide me access to thousands of books at no charge.

Stewart21

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2011
South Yorkshire
Whole different deal: I never buy books. I use Kindle/Amazon to borrow books from libraries. I have library cards for the Monroe Country Library System In NYS, the NYPL in NYC and the Santa Barbara County Library System in CA.

Overdrive and similar systems provide me access to thousands of books at no charge.

My local libraries are in the dark ages as far as lending e-books is concerned. Shame, as I would use them, there's no point really in owning most books, there are very few I read more than once.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia

Excellent suggestion. We have a subscription with Charlotte, NC for access to their digital book collection. Nominal cost for lots of books. Our local library is pathetic in providing such services.

Raima

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2010
Kindle app for Mac still does not support retina displays - so a total no-go for reading... :(

Are your eyes non retina compatible or something? May need to see an optometrist for that.

I personally prefer Kindle as they have a wider range of books.

The only thing that iBooks has in it's favour is, the iTune cards in Australia can sometimes be purchased at a discounted rate. The most frequent is 2 x $20 cards for $30. There have been some instances where you buy 1 x $20 card, and you get another $20 card for free.

Last edited:

onekerato

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2011
I did a simple experiment on technical books. Here's what I found:
* On average, kindle ebooks are 30% cheaper.
* Search results on kindle store are 5x better than on iBooks store!
* iBooks store has higher quality ebooks (i.e. better quality images)
* iBooks store is more generous in allowing simultaneous use on multiple devices
* Kindle store has a lot more (and reliable) book reviews
* Kindle ebooks can be read on wider variety of devices, including Windows, Android, and even a web browser (which is retina display friendly).

More details of the Kindle store versus iBooks store experiment available at http://onekerato.me/kindle-store-versus-ibooks-store

Mal67

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2006
West Oz
Why so long?

Mainly use ibooks so glad its on the mac. However sorry Apple but ibooks should have been available to mac users for at least the last two years.If Amazon could do it why did it take you guys so long?

Futurix

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2011
Strasbourg, France
Are your eyes non retina compatible or something? May need to see an optometrist for that.

I have a good eyesight and I don't want to destroy it by reading jagged pixelated mess that is Kindle on retina Macs. There's just no comparison about what is easier on the eye.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I prefer the way iBooks UI works and primarily download from iBooks. If I am forced, by book selection, to use Amazon/Kindle then I convert them to iBooks immediately.

I buy wherever the books are the cheapest; and then convert all of them to iBooks without DRM. Generally I read on iBooks because I like the UI the best.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but how exactly do you do this and will all books do this or do some have DRM protection?

There are a few books that are in the Kindle store, but not iBooks.

Robejazz

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2013
PA
Sorry to revive an old thread, but how exactly do you do this and will all books do this or do some have DRM protection?

There are a few books that are in the Kindle store, but not iBooks.

I would like to know this too!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.