Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has begun inserting special entries for some of its own stock iOS apps and services into search results for users on the iOS App Store, notes MacStories, which first picked up on the addition from a Tweet by Lukas Burgstaller.

safari_messages_app_store_results.jpg
The results attempt to steer users searching for apps related to certain topics toward Apple's built-in offerings, perhaps reminding users that their needs may already be met without needing to resort to App Store apps. The special results can be seen with a variety of search terms, including exact matches for Apple's offerings such as "safari" and "siri" but also with more general terms such as "SMS" or "movies".
If you search for common terms like "web", "SMS", or "movies" in the iOS 7 App Store you'll see special search results for Apple apps like Safari, Messages, and iTunes with a large icon, a description, and a link to learn more or open an app (such as Safari). These results appear on the App Store for iOS 7 devices (I wasn't able to display them on a Mac using iTunes) and, in my tests, they also worked for queries like "browser", "messages", "cloud", "internet", "Siri", and "text". I've tried several other queries, but I couldn't see results for other apps like Reminders, Calendars, Mail, Photos, Music, or Notes.
Depending on the app or service showing up as the result, users can either directly open the app or be directed to pages on Apple's site to learn more.

MacStories notes that while the new feature is a good way for Apple to share information with new users who may be unfamiliar with all of the apps and services included on iOS devices, it could cause concern for third-party developers who might see it as Apple trying to discourage users from downloading their apps.

Article Link: Apple Inserting Entries for Its Own Stock iOS Apps and Services Into App Store Search Results

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
This makes sense to me. Either we know what we're looking for and we'll just skip passed these, or the lesser knowledgeable folks will learn about something they didn't know they already had. It's sort of a clever way of training users on how to use their iPhone by catching them when they might be looking for an answer to an issue that the iPhone already solves.

S

syd430

If someone is searching the App Store for a browser, chances are they already ****ing know what Safari is.

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
This makes sense to me. Either we know what we're looking for and we'll just skip passed these, or the lesser knowledgeable folks will learn about something they didn't know they already had. It's sort of a clever way of training users on how to use their iPhone by catching them when they might be looking for an answer to an issue that the iPhone already solves.

That's exactly how I see it.

I also see it as a way to push developers towards innovation in developing an app rather than retreading and reiteration.

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
Apple should update it's stock apps through the app store rather than only updating them with iOS. Each iOS update would bump them to the latest version at the time of install, but regular updates could be done through the app store.

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
If someone is searching the App Store for a browser, chances are they already ****ing know what Safari is.

Sure, but this is the price we way pay on the road to ridding the app store of 5,000 flashlight apps. ;-)

whatever

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2001
South of Boston, MA
Why is this an issue?

It's their store. If I owned a store, would I not be able to put in my store front my products?

The only issue would be if they did not display apps that were in the store that met the search criteria.

Also this does not occur when you search camera or clock. In fact I couldn't find Apple's apps listed at all.

Must be a slow news day.

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
Apple should update it's stock apps through the app store rather than only updating them with iOS. Each iOS update would bump them to the latest version at the time of install, but regular updates could be done through the app store.

That was what I first thought on seeing this - they're moving to separate OS/app updates. Makes plenty of sense, they can update say safari or mail with new features or fixes without having to go through the hassle and risk of a full OS update.

Variant

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005

If you want regular app updates, buy an Android phone! This is MACrumors, we like out yearly updates here! :mad:

WaxedJacket

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
This kind of stinks if you're an indie developer.

I have a feeling Apple did this simply to direct the clueless to the right apps. With searching for specific things like "siri" or "safari" I mean come on, how would that ever take away some money from the developers. This appears to just direct a small % of people who don't know how ot use their devices from the start.

S

syd430

I have a feeling Apple did this simply to direct the clueless to the right apps. With searching for specific things like "siri" or "safari".

I just tested and it comes up even when searching generic terms like "browser", so there goes that theory...

StarDal

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2009
To me, this is the same as going to certain websites on your iOS device and that website inserting a "hey, we've got an app for that".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.