Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

downpour

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Apple is fixing the problem. How does that add up to not caring.

To be fair they should have tested a lot more before release.

Mavericks should have been tested in its finished state on thousands of Macs for several months before release. It's not like they can't afford it.

Apple leave everything to the last minute for the sake of secrecy and marketing purposes, at the cost of regularly upsetting their customers who end up with annoying bugs and hardware faults.

If it was just an occasional thing you could forgive it, but it seems to be virtually every product they release has a problem lately.

Azathoth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
Mine did this once less than five minutes after using it the very first time. I had to do a hard reset too. It had stopped responding altogether. I am going to use it as little as possible until there is a fix, hopefully next week.

Doesn't repeated hard reseting cause problems, such as the risk of data loss or corruption of system files?

I've had it happen about 1 per 24 hours. I set the machine to sleep (press power button for a second), close the lid and wait for about 90s. Then it's ok.

It's annoying, but not like the image retention issues, I expect this is just a fairly straightforward SW fix.

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
They don't seem to care yet release a statement acknowledging the issue and that a fix is in the works? Riiiight...

let me point out my point in another way. The fact that they run to fix a problem that needed to NOT be there in the first place is a good self explanation that they don't care. New products need to be bug free as it was in the past. it was very rare back in the days. Now is like "hurry hurry, let's show the world this "as is" we fix it later" attitude. SMH

----------

Apple is fixing the problem. How does that add up to not caring.

I meant… they don't care to be sure if what they are going to start selling is bug free.

rasputin1969

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2010
If you've a 13 inch Retina check your console logs (type "console" into spotlight).

Most affected laptops are showing the following line multiple times:

31/10/2013 11:26:37.000 kernel[0]: The USB device Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad (Port 5 of Hub at 0x14000000) may have caused a wake by issuing a remote wakeup (2)

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I've had it happen about 1 per 24 hours. I set the machine to sleep (press power button for a second), close the lid and wait for about 90s. Then it's ok.

It's annoying, but not like the image retention issues, I expect this is just a fairly straightforward SW fix.

So that's what Apple means by resetting the keyboard and trackpad? Thanks, I wasn't sure specifically what they meant. I can certainly live with that until the fix arrives.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
My mid-2013 13" rMBP has frozen a couple of times since installing Mavericks. I bought it in May, and it only began doing it this past week. It would be nice if this was a Mavericks issue, and any fix could be applied to my computer....

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
With the premium Apple demands, and people pay, one would expect the hardware to be released without the need for a fix in the first place.

If the premium price isn't for higher quality, what in the world is it for?

shareholder profits

Poisonivy326

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012
over the past 4-5 years, is there a single product that Apple released without any defect ??? :eek:

iphone 4s and 5? People might have complained that the iphone 4s was too delicate or the 5's aluminum scratched easily but in terms of working, I think those phones worked out of the box.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Not acceptable for any new computer, let alone a $1300+ one. This needs to be fixed ASAP.

It wont ever be fixed, I mean it will be "fixed", but a company this huge doesn't really care - they just want consumers to drool and buy, buy and buy more. They wont change unless we change with our buying powers.

skirmisser

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2012
My mid-2013 13" rMBP has frozen a couple of times since installing Mavericks. I bought it in May, and it only began doing it this past week. It would be nice if this was a Mavericks issue, and any fix could be applied to my computer....

My 2012 15" rMBP got this freeze twice already. Again after installing Mavericks. So seems like a SW issue. And it may not be affecting only Haswell 13" rMPBs...

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
My 2012 15" rMBP got this freeze twice already. Again after installing Mavericks. So seems like a SW issue. And it may not be affecting only Haswell 13" rMPBs...

My Mini's crash log looks crazy after installing iOS 7, so Mavericks wouldn't surprise me. I never had a crash that I'm aware of before iOS 7.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
With the premium Apple demands, and people pay, one would expect the hardware to be released without the need for a fix in the first place.

If the premium price isn't for higher quality, what in the world is it for?

I'm sure everything you do is perfect.

Renzatic

Suspended
Use the power of Apple Magic! :D

concentrate.jpg

...nope! Ain't working. Guess I gotta take it to the Genius Bar.

JuBe

macrumors regular
May 28, 2009
that's interesting. The trackpad on my mid 2010 MBP 13" just started going haywire today.

I've got just about the same (15"), and at first I thought it was just having to do with Spotlight indexing because I could type in the Spotlight bar, but no where else (even using the on-screen keyboard). Tried to run a system diagnostic, but couldn't type in my password to do so (and couldn't type it in the Spotlight bar and then cut and paste it).

----------

/touch wood
Don't be ridiculous! You have to knock on it!

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Well, i hope its soon. My old 2010 MBP 15" now has this lovely added feature since upgrading to Mavericks.

ashdesign

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2013
Still nothing from Apple

I been waiting for over a year for the new MBP and then started reading about the problems. Just contacted Apple and this is what I got:

screen-shot-2013-11-01-at-11-47.jpg

Very slack on the part of Apple.

Omnirai

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2012
Antwerp
Hello everyone,

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5481839?start=1215&tstart=0

On this page (82), some people are posting something about USB 3.0 problems that occured in haswell motherboards. There is a C1 (bad) and C2 version.

The problem was already discovered in april 2013 (http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Haswell-S3-Sleep-Problem-PCN,21896.html)

I only encountered two freezes with my haswell rMBP 13", and planning to just wait for the software update since I'm pretty happy with the device..

But after reading this, thinking about returning my rMBP within the 14 day cooldown period. Anyone that knows more about this kind of bug mentioned above?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.