Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Everyone here must know this info:

Turkey is very stupid country . Every person when enter Turkey border must leave his mobile because it is locked from operator !!!!

You must pay thousands Dollars to get registered IMEI !!! (New Phone).

?

Nobody has to leave their phones on the border. But if it's locked, obviously you won't be able to use it with any of the Turkish GSM operators. That's true for any country, not just Turkey.

And to register a new phone purchased outside of Turkey you have to pay around 50$ to get it registered, not thousands of dollars.

mertyz

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2011
Its neither….its Greek Constantinople/Byzantium

Oh, here we go! :)

Pretty much every single city in the world had different names in different times which is only natural. I think we should rather celebrate the cultural richness and the great history those times resulted in, rather than having such a pointless argument :)

Greetings from Ankara/Ancyra/Angora :)

Ali7

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2013
?

Nobody has to leave their phones on the border. But if it's locked, obviously you won't be able to use it with any of the Turkish GSM operators. That's true for any country, not just Turkey.

And to register a new phone purchased outside of Turkey you have to pay around 50$ to get it registered, not thousands of dollars.

Any country !!! Like what ?? Not True , It's locked and you can't run it again in (Turkey), i am not mean to buy Nokia 1100 by $50 , I need iPhone , Sure i pay thousands $$

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Any country !!! Like what ?? Not True , It's locked and you can't run it again in (Turkey), i am not mean to buy Nokia 1100 by $50 , I need iPhone , Sure i pay thousands $$

Of course you can't use a locked phone with a 3rd party GSM provider. You need to buy an unlocked phone for that. If you buy an AT&T locked iPhone in USA, you cannot use it in Europe, or in Turkey or anywhere else.

Ali7

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2013
Of course you can't use a locked phone with a 3rd party GSM provider. You need to buy an unlocked phone for that. If you buy an AT&T locked iPhone in USA, you cannot use it in Europe, or in Turkey or anywhere else.

No no

My phone factory unlocked, Turkey block any IMEI not bought from Turkey Market.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
No no

You need to register that phone to your passport and for that you pay 50$. I bought an iPhone 4S from USA and then registered it to my passport and I'm using it in Turkey without any problems since then.

Ali7

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2013
You need to register that phone to your passport and for that you pay 50$. I bought an iPhone 4S from USA and then registered it to my passport and I'm using it in Turkey without any problems since then.

Right, but why ?? Are you satisfied with it.

I am in Turkey now..

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Right, but why ?? Are you satisfied with it.

I am in Turkey now..

I don't like the fact that you have to wait 2 years after you register a phone to your passport. Other than that, paying 50$ isn't such a big deal.

redmac

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
San Francisco
No no

You needed to have the phone registered on your passport when you brought it to the country. As someone mentioned earlier, it costs only $50.

On the other hand, if you are visiting the country, you can use your phone through your cell provider with no problem at all. The above only applies to the phones that are brought to Turkey for resale or personal use under a Turkish wireless provider.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
The problem with iPhone pricing is though, it's still much cheaper to buy it from USA and then register it to your passport here. 5S 16GB costs around 700$ unlocked with taxes in USA, here it's 1030$.

Ali7

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2013
You needed to have the phone registered on your passport when you brought it to the country. As someone mentioned earlier, it costs only $50.

On the other hand, if you are visiting the country, you can use your phone through your cell provider with no problem at all. The above only applies to the phones that are brought to Turkey for resale or personal use under a Turkish wireless provider.

I know , I am here since 2 Years.

----------

The problem with iPhone pricing is though, it's still much cheaper to buy it from USA and then register it to your passport here. 5S 16GB costs around 700$ unlocked with taxes in USA, here it's 1030$.
Please are you know Turkey law for telecom ??

I know it very well

Every passport must register one imei only .

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Please are you now Turkey law for telecom ??

I know it very well

Every passport must register one imei only .

You can do that once every 2 years. I registered my iPhone 4S in May 2012, so in May 2014 I can register a new phone to my passport if I want.

Ali7

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2013
You can do that once every 2 years. I registered my iPhone 4S in May 2012, so in May 2014 I can register a new phone to my passport if I want.

2 Years !!!!!!!!! Oh my God

I think you are from Turkey , Right ?

netopin

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2013
Istanbul, TURKEY

Actually that's not exactly 2 years. It is 2nd year after your purchase. If you purchased your 4s on May 2012 you will be able to register next phone on January 1st 2014. No matter what month/date you purchased it, only the year matters. So registering a device towards the end of the year like December is way more beneficial so you wait only for 13 months for the next.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Actually that's not exactly 2 years. It is 2nd year after your purchase. If you purchased your 4s on May 2012 you will be able to register next phone on January 1st 2014. No matter what month/date you purchased it, only the year matters. So registering a device towards the end of the year like December is way more beneficial so you wait only for 13 months for the next.

You just made my day. I was planning a USA trip in January but wasn't going to buy a 5S just because of this, now I can. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.