Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
It's because in HK, Apple allowed people to register on Wednesday morning for in-store pickup today, so effectively preorder. That's what I did and will pick up my new 128GB Space Grey Wifi + Cellular model today :D

I'm getting my 64GB Cellular today at the IFC store :)

AndyUnderscoreR

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
It's turned midnight here in England, and the Apple Store UK now lets you choose a model of iPad Air... but all versions are "Currently Unavailable" in both colours.

iconboyips

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
It's turned midnight here in England, and the Apple Store UK now lets you choose a model of iPad Air... but all versions are "Currently Unavailable" in both colours.

I'm guessing it's going to be 8am here in the Uk for online orders with Apple. I find that strange given it was midnight for the 5S. However since the recent change in Apple's online launch plans I have no idea how to pre-guess when these things will happen.

AndyUnderscoreR

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
I'm guessing it's going to be 8am here in the Uk for online orders with Apple. I find that strange given it was midnight for the 5S. However since the recent change in Apple's online launch plans I have no idea how to pre-guess when these things will happen.

You're probably right, but it's odd that they updated the site at midnight if that's the case.

iconboyips

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
You're probably right, but it's odd that they updated the site at midnight if that's the case.

I'm not sure they did, on the online store app if you go via products rtaher than the Air Promo page you've been able to select the model for days, as I have on the website.

phlash

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2013
:-(

Well it's nearly 00:30 here in the UK and no sign of being able to place an order. Was able to place a 5S order just minutes after midnight on the launch day, so don't understand why it's different for the iPad Air. Why the hell don't apple just state what time they expect online orders to begin so that people know and don't waste time waiting up???

iconboyips

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
Well it's nearly 00:30 here in the UK and no sign of being able to place an order. Was able to place a 5S order just minutes after midnight on the launch day, so don't understand why it's different for the iPad Air. Why the hell don't apple just state what time they expect online orders to begin so that people know and don't waste time waiting up???

Agreed :)

yodaxl7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Here on east coast USA we can order 3am. At that time in uk is when you guys could order

mikechap

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
South Korea?

No mention of South Korea, where I live. Anyone have an idea of when it'll be out here? I'm cynically thinking that the large Samsung presence here is somehow involved.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
You sir, are 'true blue'.
Thank you. Nice compliment

"Racism is generally defined as actions, practices, or beliefs that consider the human species to be divided into races with shared traits, abilities, or qualities, such as personality, intellect, morality, or other cultural behavioral characteristics, and especially the belief that races can be ranked as inherently superior or inferior to others, or that members of different races should be treated differently."

By your definition it is racism. The other regions get recognised as such where as the Asian and Pacific regions are not being recognised as such. " members of different races should be treated differently." Basically treating people outside the Asia and Pacific regions different to those within those 2 regions.

:confused:

That hasn't been my experience. I have Australian friends who say "Oz" when referring to their homeland.
They are saying Aus, not Oz. Sounds similar I will admit. But in writing it's very different.

Choice 3: Get the best tablet that suits your use case. Sometimes that tablet is an iPad. Sometimes it's not. It was for me, but that doesn't mean someone not choosing an iPad is uninformed or cheap.

You make a good point there. Different people value different things differently. So by your definition people simply don't see the iPad as good value for money. That's a fair comment.

The Asia-Pacific region is a REAL region. I don't understand why you think referring to the region so is a problem. If I wanted to talk about that region, what do you expect me to refer to it as the "Japan, China, Indonesia, Guam, et etc region?" No. Just like in the US where people on the East Coast will say "oh you're a West Coaster" or vice versa. It's not racism in any way. It's called regional identification.

We have the east coast and west coast too. Brisbane/Sydney/Melbourne on the East and Perth on the West.

But what I am saying is very different. It would be if we you chatted to a Mexican person and called him American. Technically that is correct, but he's prefer to be called Mexican. But for us it's doubly so as it's two separate continents.

regional identification?
If people say hey you're from Asia-Pacific, I will reply, **** no, I'm Australian, that's in the Pacific Region. I am not Asian. And I am have every right to say this. I'm proud of who I am and where I come from. Just the same as everyone here is proud of where they come from. I don't want to be told I come from a place I do not.

"what do you expect me to refer to it as the "Japan, China, Indonesia, Guam, et etc region?"
No just call it what it is. The Asia or Asian region. The Pacific region. Not very hard.
I know a lot of people just say Australia, but that is forgetting NZ and all the other little islands that make up our region. They are small but like every other country out there they are important too.

Oh give me a b.r.e.a.k. Are you that sensitive that even common sense and recognized regions make you cry. Look, the U.S. is linked with Canada and Mexico regionally; it's called North America. Likewise the Asian-Pacific Rim is a real thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asia-Pacific_Economic_Cooperation
What you say happens. Does not make it right. I made my point and it's your choice how you react to it. You have 3 main countries in your continent, I get it. For us it's two different continents being incorrectly shoved together. Australia/NZ/fiji/etc etc is very different from China/Japan/Korea/etc etc. Not my fault if people in the world do not understand this.

Last edited:

weing

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
My bet is you will be able to walk into any apple store stateside on Friday and get any flavor of iPad air you want. They will have plenty. This will be about as non-scarce as a 5c phone.
Which is to say .... not scarce.

johngwheeler

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2010
I come from a land down-under...
Apple Store in Sydney has lots of stock....

Just walked into the Apple Store in Sydney to have a look at the iPad Air. There was a line of about 20-25 people ready to buy, and a pile of a couple of hundred iPads at 3.30pm, so it doesn't seem to be selling out in a hurry.

My hands-on impression was:

1) Quite a lot lighter than my iPad 2, but not as "impressively light" as the iPad Mini. It's definitely a lot more comfortable to hold without any support. The smaller bezels don't seem to affect usability at all, and the rounded back is much more comfortable to hold than the older iPads.

2) It gave the slightest impression of lag when opening the home screen & swiping between screens. I know there is some "built-in" delay in the initial icon "zoom" rendering in iOS 7, but this seemed slightly jerky. It's not a big deal though, and only mildly distracting.

3) Overall application speed was impressive, particularly with the photo viewer app which was very responsive.

4) Screen looks great, and zooming of images is fast & precise.

I'm wasn't so wowed that I thought I had to buy one straight away; it looks like a really good device, but I'll wait a month or two to see if there are any gremlins to iron out. The reality is that my iPad 2 is still giving me good service for video, web browsing and e-books, so there isn't really a necessity to upgrade, other than techno-lust.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.