Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thepominlaw

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
After some advice, currently have a 2009 iMac with a 500gb hard drive that is rapidly running out of space. The reason for this post however is I am swapping to a new retina macbook pro, but due to finances it the base model with 128gb of storage.

I am just after advice how I can manage my files which such a small amount of available space. At present all my files sit on my internal hard drive, I have

178Gb of music
47Gb of photos
12gb of documents

They are backed up to a WD studio hard drive via Firewire, its the 2tb model but its in mirroring mode so I only have 1Tb of available storage, I also have a crashplan account to backup online and to an external 500gb hard drive. Would welcome any advice how I should best manage my storage as I am unsure what would be best, I am also paranoid about loosing the photos which is probably why I backup so much.

I was thinking a NAS would be the best option but am unsure if itunes can access its library this way?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
If you are on a budget, I don't think a NAS is really going to be the cheapest way to do what you want to do. Since your new Mac will have USB 3 ports, you could consider something like a WD my passport unit...DON'T buy the so called Mac version...the Windows labeled units are exactly the same and all you have to do is format them. Okay, you are not going to get ultra fast performance, but I've used them with my rMBp and they are fast enough to stream music etc. Come in a variety of sizes and they are really cheap.

Might be the way to go if you want value for money....128GB really is tough to manage these days.:)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My recommendation is to wait until you can swing the 256GB SSD.

Keep in mind there's a number of threads about WD drives and Mavericks having an issue at the moment. If you plan on running Apple's newest OS then be wary of the WD drives.

I use a drobo mini for my off line storage and a couple of portable drives for backing up the drobo and my internal drive. Most that I need for day to day is on the laptop.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
[[ After some advice, currently have a 2009 iMac with a 500gb hard drive that is rapidly running out of space. The reason for this post however is I am swapping to a new retina macbook pro, but due to finances it the base model with 128gb of storage. ]]

That's the pitfall of moving from a larger HDD to a smaller SSD -- you're not going to have room for all the stuff on the new internal drive.

If you don't feel like spending the big bucks for a large internal SSD (I wouldn't, either), you're going to need an easily-portable external drive enclosure to carry with you, as well.

One I've seen that looks interesting is this one:
http://oyendigital.com/hard-drives/store/U32-M.html
(No financial interest, just a saved URL)
Of course, there are many, many 2.5" external enclosures available.

You could then decide whether to put a 2.5" HDD or perhaps another SSD into it.

Suggestion: there will probably be numerous "Black Friday" sales through which to pick up a decent "bare" SSD at very good prices. Don't be intimidated by the thought of buying an external case and bare drive and doing the assembly yourself. Easy as pie!

thepominlaw

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Thanks for the replies, unfortunately in the uk we don't have any Black Friday deals.

For now am thinking of getting an external 2tb portable hard drive. I am now unsure how I will be able to stream media to my Apple TV as I always used my imac which was never turned off.

There seems to be some good reports of the synology 213j NAS it says its iTunes compatible does that mean I can stream from that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.