Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
But any cellular iPad will work with any carrier, right?

My Verizon iPad Air is currently connected to a T-Mobile 200MB/month free account. Made the mistake of buying the nano-SIM in person though. I didn't care about paying the 10 bucks, it was the 20 minutes of constant sell up while they 'programmed' my SIM.

Didn't need to use a credit card to buy the SIM, and didn't provide any payment details when I signed up for the 200MB plan.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
This is actually an ingenious way for T-Mobile to educate US customers on their data network. If both the coverage and speed are robust enough, it will help convince users to switch cellular carrier as well.

I will be getting iPad mini (retina) preloaded with T-Mobile SIM and if it works out, I may pay early termination and switch from AT&T to T-Mobile when iPhone 6 ships.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
It's refreshing to hear a CEO admit a mistake without making lame excuses. They'll fix it and that's that.

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
I took the plunge with the T-Mo iPad Air today, but still wasn't sure if I was going to have to fight for free data. Glad he confirmed there will be no monthly fee.

syrcular

macrumors member
May 17, 2013
I know, Taz. I wasn't suggesting that I was forced into a plan. I was just saying for those who wanted a 2.5GB plan, and already a T-Mobile customer will get a discount of $10 making the $30 normal charge, a $20 for 2.5GB plan. Which is a really good deal for that amount of data. Verizon usually charges about 20 for 1GB and ATT charges 30 for 3GB.
And the best part is that you can cancel the data plan and go back to the freebie plan if you want.
Also...their offering Day and Week passes for cheap.

Day 500MB = $5
Week 1GB = $10

Bravo T-Mobile...I'm so glad I switched! :)

kenzbud

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2005
When I go to the T-Mobile site, it only gives me the option to buy the 16GB or 32GB. Has anybody been able to view or purchase the 64GB iPad Air from the T-Mobile website?

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
When I go to the T-Mobile site, it only gives me the option to buy the 16GB or 32GB. Has anybody been able to view or purchase the 64GB iPad Air from the T-Mobile website?

I tried ordering in-store this morning, and they said they weren't carrying the 64GB.

Zu Nim

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2013
My Verizon iPad Air is currently connected to a T-Mobile 200MB/month free account. Made the mistake of buying the nano-SIM in person though. I didn't care about paying the 10 bucks, it was the 20 minutes of constant sell up while they 'programmed' my SIM.

Didn't need to use a credit card to buy the SIM, and didn't provide any payment details when I signed up for the 200MB plan.

Are the iPad models all compatible with the same frequencies? If my girlfriend (who has an iPhone with Verizon that she's keeping) purchases an iPad Air from T-Mobile to qualify for free data, can she also use/activate it on Verizon if she decides later that's how she wants to go? If she wants the 64GB model can she buy it at Verizon and still get a SIM from T-Mobile to qualify for free data?

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
I could only get the $30 2.5 GB plan plus $26 a month for the Air, in the store but just called the customer support line and got it changed to $0 200mb plus $26 a month.

I just walked into a T-Mobile store to ask about this. The guy insisted that you have to have a voice plan with T-Mobile to get the free data, else the free data costs $10/mo.

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
The reps I talked to said all their training emphasized there is no monthly charge. And now we have it from the CEO's mouth.

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
Must be nice…..

As if any company up here in Canada would do that…

As usually poor cold Canucks get shafted yet again… :(

mindquest

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2009
Hopefully by Monday they get it all straightened out! Looking to pick up one at T-Mobile store.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Are the iPad models all compatible with the same frequencies? If my girlfriend (who has an iPhone with Verizon that she's keeping) purchases an iPad Air from T-Mobile to qualify for free data, can she also use/activate it on Verizon if she decides later that's how she wants to go? If she wants the 64GB model can she buy it at Verizon and still get a SIM from T-Mobile to qualify for free data?

I don't know. All I can say is I bought a Verizon Air which is now connected to T-Mobile. T-Mobile doesn't provide LTE in my area so I'm speed limited to the next step down.

[edit] I do get LTE!

Last edited:

kenzbud

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2005
I tried ordering in-store this morning, and they said they weren't carrying the 64GB.

I was told the same thing today as well. Weird that the article still says you can get a 64GB for $199 down. Dissapoint end when I walked out of there empty handed today. What did you end up doing?

itcomesinwaves

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2003
My Experience

I stopped into an Apple store around noon to check out the iPad Air. I decided to get one, and I went with a T-Mobile model in order to take advantage of the free data offer (I've only had WiFi only iPads before). They seemed to think they might be running out of T-Mobile iPads at which point the employee told me that 'technically all of the cellular models are unlocked'.

But I they did have the one I wanted so I took the iPad over to the T-Mobile store. There was a bit of confusion at first ("free data? what?") and then the employee thought I would have to already be a T-Mobile phone subscriber in order to get the deal (I wasn't). But after talking to the manager and poking at the computer a bit, he was surprised to discover that it was indeed free for anyone. He activated the SIM card that came in the iPad (by scanning a code on the back of the iPad box), but he said they could also just give me a new SIM if I wanted.

After a little bit of trouble at the activation screen (I should have activated it on the Apple store WiFi) the cellular data was working. It says "T-Mobile 4G" in the corner. I payed a one-time activation fee of about $10.

I haven't really been putting the 4G to the test yet. In fact, I've been turning off every 'use cellular data' toggle I can find. I'm traveling later this month for thanksgiving so I'll probably have some use for it then.

Edit: OK, I just turned it on for a while, and it went from 4G to LTE. Nice to know that works.

Last edited:

keatth

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2013
I spoke to a tmobile rep and it's $10/month but you get a $10 discount for having a data plan so it's free.

I was wondering, could I take the sim out if my iPhone 5S and put it in the iPad and use my unlimited data?

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Now if only Apple didn't charge a ridiculous amount for Cellular iPads. $130 more? Really...

Hopefully this will change. Nokia tablet is $499 and it includes LTE
I also think the wifi only version should come with a GPS.

So am I reading it right that you can pay 0 down and just pay a monthly fee for 2yrs that's just basically paying off the ipad with no interest?

If I can get an ipad mini with no down payment and pretty much just paying for the device over 2yrs I may go that route and use the free 200mb and when I travel get the week 1gb option

UhFive

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2013
Texas
Others have said it and I just talked to two agents at Apple that confirmed it...all iPad are "unlocked" so if you buy a "T-Mobile" iPad for the free data but prefer another carrier you can just swap in your carriers sim when your 200mb a month data goes up or whatever you want.

I personally use my iPad when I travel out of town with At&t, but I am going to be getting the T-Mobile one for the 200mb. My home internet seems to always go out while I am in the middle of doing school work so it wouldn't hurt to have this as a back up. I have always loved T-Mobile...I had them as my first cell provider getting every sidekick on release day. Never one complaint about them, til' the iPhone dropped as an At&t exclusive. Day one I jumped ship and have stuck with every iPhone on launch day since.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Ignore my ignorance as i am not from the US but why are there 4 different iPad Cellular models offered if they all work the same way? why does it even say "your iPad will only work with the carrier you choose"?

why not simply sell one as "iPad Air with Cellular" like they do in Germany

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH
So what happens when you exceed the 200MB free data allotment? Is there a warning beforehand or do you automatically get hit with $20 for 1.5GB or something?

UhFive

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2013
Texas
Ignore my ignorance as i am not from the US but why are there 4 different iPad Cellular models offered if they all work the same way? why does it even they "your iPad will only work with the carrier you choose"?

why not simply sell one as "iPad Air with Cellular" like they do in Germany

Great question, I wondered this myself...anyone?

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I know, Taz. I wasn't suggesting that I was forced into a plan. I was just saying for those who wanted a 2.5GB plan, and already a T-Mobile customer will get a discount of $10 making the $30 normal charge, a $20 for 2.5GB plan. Which is a really good deal for that amount of data. Verizon usually charges about 20 for 1GB and ATT charges 30 for 3GB.
And the best part is that you can cancel the data plan and go back to the freebie plan if you want.
Also...their offering Day and Week passes for cheap.

Day 500MB = $5
Week 1GB = $10

Bravo T-Mobile...I'm so glad I switched! :)

Okay. Did not know about the $10 discount. Thanks.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
If T-Mobile keeps this up, I can't wait to dump ATT and switch everyone to T-MOBILE. The unlimited for iPhone and now this puts ATT to shame! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.