Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eduardgorbatyuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2013
I bought a Base Model Macbook Air 2013, Core i5, 4gb Ram, Intel hd5000, 128gb ssd, on unboxing the unit, i noticed some creaking in the right corner of the main body(loose screw, easily tightened) then i noticed that the hinge would sometimes make a scraping sound, as it rubbed against the aluminum on the underside of the mac, closer inspection revealed that there were scratches on the lid each scractch is exactly where the hinge ends, and theyre not single line scratches either, it looks like they were made by a grinder of some sort?! so i assumed that the hinge issue could somehow be connected to those scratches, its been about a month since my purchase, and finally found some free time to drive 2 hours to frankfurt this friday, as i was really busy with school and work, i made an apointment at the genius bar, whats the possibility of getting a replacement device? This is my first mac, and i had to save quite a while to get one, and after paying a premium price, i expect a premium product...so you can understand my disappointment.

Last edited:

Eduardgorbatyuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2013
why would it be hard to get a replacement? Its still under warranty, i payed for a new device, not one that came with grind marks and and a flawed hinge.

After looking up some similiar stories on the web, it seems that most people get their devices replaced no problem(they obviously payed a premium price for a reason right?) but i dont know how long they had their device before going to the store(we only have 4 apple stores in germany and the closest is 2 hours away!)

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
why would it be hard to get a replacement? Its still under warranty, i payed for a new device, not one that came with grind marks and and a flawed hinge.

After looking up some similiar stories on the web, it seems that most people get their devices replaced no problem(they obviously payed a premium price for a reason right?) but i dont know how long they had their device before going to the store(we only have 4 apple stores in germany and the closest is 2 hours away!)

You won't get a replacement, but they will send it in for repair and replace the display and whatever they see fit. My hinge was really tight and caused a creaking sound when opening and closing the display. They sent it in to the repair facility and in 4 days I got it back with a brand new display and hinge.

Instead of driving you can always call AppleCare, they will send you a box to ship out your laptop to them and it will go through the same process.

Eduardgorbatyuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2013
theres no way i can go without a computer for the time it will take to repair it... i have work every day. i just dont understand why it would be so hard to replace a defective product? Especially after paying that high of a price you kind of want a "new,unflawed" device, and being offered a repair is kind of a letdown, as it can pick up more scratches by being "repaired".

in fact after some digging around on the forums, it seems almost all of the people who had issues with scratches, dents or creaking, actually got a replacement. also, people say that the store will try to make a repair, but if you politely insist on a replacement, then they will oblige

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
theres no way i can go without a computer for the time it will take to repair it... i have work every day. i just dont understand why it would be so hard to replace a defective product? Especially after paying that high of a price you kind of want a "new,unflawed" device, and being offered a repair is kind of a letdown, as it can pick up more scratches by being "repaired".

in fact after some digging around on the forums, it seems almost all of the people who had issues with scratches, dents or creaking, actually got a replacement. also, people say that the store will try to make a repair, but if you politely insist on a replacement, then they will oblige

I wouldn't count on it. Apple is getting a lot stricter on their policy. I was only able to get a replacement on my 2011 MacBook Air after they sent it in for repair twice and the repairs failed to fix the problem. Once you pass the 14 day mark, pretty much your only option is repair because you passed your return date where Apple would gladly swap it out with a new one.

I never understood the argument for "paying a higher price". No one is forcing you to purchase a MacBook Air. You are paying for the product and service. Apple is not denying you service if they choose to repair it over replace it. Apple's obligation is to make sure your product works, if it does not work to spec, they will try and fix it. If they cannot fix it, they will replace it.

MacPoulet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2012
Canada

I'm a little curious. If you noticed the defects when you took it out of the box, why didn't you call Apple right away? That way, there's a paper trail and you could have had a replacement shipped to you.

Paper trails are important. Not just for Apple products, but anything you buy.

Is there a reseller near you? Sometimes, they'll rent you a computer while yours is in the shop. Sure it'll cost you, but if you need a computer for work you could probably declare it as a business expense if you're self-employed.

Eduardgorbatyuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2013
I wouldn't count on it. Apple is getting a lot stricter on their policy. I was only able to get a replacement on my 2011 MacBook Air after they sent it in for repair twice and the repairs failed to fix the problem. Once you pass the 14 day mark, pretty much your only option is repair because you passed your return date where Apple would gladly swap it out with a new one.

I never understood the argument for "paying a higher price". No one is forcing you to purchase a MacBook Air. You are paying for the product and service. Apple is not denying you service if they choose to repair it over replace it. Apple's obligation is to make sure your product works, if it does not work to spec, they will try and fix it. If they cannot fix it, they will replace it.

I failed to mention that my air has the wifi issue everyone seems to be talking about(i didnt realize it was a problem until reading stuff on the forums today) apple has acknowledged the issue and is replacing affected units ,would the 14 day policy apply here or no?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I failed to mention that my air has the wifi issue everyone seems to be talking about(i didnt realize it was a problem until reading stuff on the forums today) apple has acknowledged the issue and is replacing affected units ,would the 14 day policy apply here or no?

Yes. You have 14 days to return the product. Simple as that. After 14 days you enter your warranty period and repairs come before replacements. If you are having WiFi problems, they will test the hardware. If it checks back normal, they will probably have you reinstall the OS.

But the WiFi chip is located in the display. So if you are having problems with hinge as you say, they will replace the display (like they did with mine) and that will fix the hinge and WiFi issues.

Apple takes good care of their customers, but you can't expect a replacement because of a manufacture defect that you reported too late. You must first have repairs attempted. After that, if the problems continue, then your expectations can go up on how the problem will be resolved.

BTW they were replacing units for the WiFi problem back in June/July in order to collect the defective devices to figure out what is wrong. Since then they have released a software update to fix the WiFi problem.

Eduardgorbatyuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2013
Yes. You have 14 days to return the product. Simple as that. After 14 days you enter your warranty period and repairs come before replacements. If you are having WiFi problems, they will test the hardware. If it checks back normal, they will probably have you reinstall the OS.

But the WiFi chip is located in the display. So if you are having problems with hinge as you say, they will replace the display (like they did with mine) and that will fix the hinge and WiFi issues.

Apple takes good care of their customers, but you can't expect a replacement because of a manufacture defect that you reported too late. You must first have repairs attempted. After that, if the problems continue, then your expectations can go up on how the problem will be resolved.

BTW they were replacing units for the WiFi problem back in June/July in order to collect the defective devices to figure out what is wrong. Since then they have released a software update to fix the WiFi problem.

any idea if they can replace the display in store and within a day, as the store is 2 hours away?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
any idea if they can replace the display in store and within a day, as the store is 2 hours away?

No, like I said earlier they have to ship it in. Just call AppleCare. They will send you a box, you ship it in. They will ship it back to you. It will be about 3-5 days but you don't have to drive to the store.

Eduardgorbatyuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2013
No, like I said earlier they have to ship it in. Just call AppleCare. They will send you a box, you ship it in. They will ship it back to you. It will be about 3-5 days but you don't have to drive to the store.

thats the problem, its the only machine i have, and i use it for work every day, theres absolutely no way i can go 3-5 without it... ill be in frankfurt on friday, i already have an appointment, if im lucky they might be able to replace the screen or if im really lucky they might give me a replacement, as alot of people seem to be getting replacements instead of repairs.. ill update my progress on friday!

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
All I can say is good luck but don't get your hopes up. They can't replace the display in store because they don't have the equipment or even the display modules there. They are all kept at their repair facility offsite. Usually a few hundred to a few thousand miles away. I'm in California and the one they sent my laptop to in August is 1800 miles away.

Just make sure you are extremely polite and understanding and make your case. If you go in feeling like they need to do you the favor it may turn them off to you. Good luck!

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
All I can say is good luck but don't get your hopes up. They can't replace the display in store because they don't have the equipment or even the display modules there. They are all kept at their repair facility offsite. Usually a few hundred to a few thousand miles away. I'm in California and the one they sent my laptop to in August is 1800 miles away.

Just make sure you are extremely polite and understanding and make your case. If you go in feeling like they need to do you the favor it may turn them off to you. Good luck!

My local Apple store in the UK does the repairs in-store. They replaced my iMac screen there, but had to order the display in. They are currently replacing the display on my Air... they carry the part in-store and are doing the repair in-store.

I thought this was common?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
My local Apple store in the UK does the repairs in-store. They replaced my iMac screen there, but had to order the display in. They are currently replacing the display on my Air... they carry the part in-store and are doing the repair in-store.

I thought this was common?

Not anywhere near me. I have about 15 Apple Stores within 300 miles and not one I know of does anything like this in store. DVD drive on my iMac yes, but full displays, no. Very interesting. Maybe across the Atlantic they don't have as many repair facilities, so it's more beneficial to turn individual stores into repair facilities.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Not anywhere near me. I have about 15 Apple Stores within 300 miles and not one I know of does anything like this in store. DVD drive on my iMac yes, but full displays, no. Very interesting. Maybe across the Atlantic they don't have as many repair facilities, so it's more beneficial to turn individual stores into repair facilities.
In the US stores replace displays in iMacs. And at least some also replace the displays in laptops.

azurehi

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2009
Bluesky

IMHO paying a higher price for Apple products Should mean that Apple's quality control is top-notch. This has not been the case. Indeed Apple's QC is not as good as it once was. I am lucky enough to live near an Apple Store; I carefully inspect any purchase in the store and return it on the spot if there is a problem.

Eduardgorbatyuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2013
IMHO paying a higher price for Apple products Should mean that Apple's quality control is top-notch. This has not been the case. Indeed Apple's QC is not as good as it once was. I am lucky enough to live near an Apple Store; I carefully inspect any purchase in the store and return it on the spot if there is a problem.

I went to the apple store and they tightened the bottom plate and the hinge, the hinge feels much better now, but later when i got home i noticed there was a teeny little ding on the lid... most likely caused while tighting the hinge... and a light scratch about an inch long on the bottom, really disappointed, as i keep all of my products in mint condition, no scratches, and scratches really bring down the resale value later. Is there any point in calling applecare and asking them for perhaps a top lid replacement?

qawsed

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2009
By waiting a month before notifying them, your case is very weak. Physical damage notified after a month... well I'll leave people make up their own mind but there's always going to be a skepticism.

bizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008

Read the terms of the warranty. They're on Apple's site, you don't even need to buy something to see them. If you don't agree with them, don't buy it.

"If during the Warranty Period you submit a valid claim to Apple or an AASP, Apple will, at its option, (i) repair the Apple Product using new or previously used parts that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability, (ii) replace the Apple Product with a product that is at least functionally equivalent to the Apple Product and is formed from new and/or previously used parts that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability, or (iii) exchange the Apple Product for a refund of your purchase price."

Doesn't matter how much it costs, they reserve the right to REPAIR it and not give you a replacement.

Eduardgorbatyuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2013
i was at the store about a week ago, i noticed the ding and scratch when i took it out of the box in the train, and i decided to ignore it at first,but its been a week and it really bothers me, i mean seriously, how hard is to to tighten a hinge without damaging the lid? apparently the guy put the macbook facedown on a flat surface or dropped a screwdriver on it or something, if i wanted to replicate that mark i would have to stab the lid with a knife or something, I'm gonna ask a friend of mine to call applecare for me(I'm in germany and my german is terrible)
and if they agree to fix the lid ill have to send it in...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.