Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

streetfoldsfive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
It seems my late 2012 iMac is having sleeping troubles! When I am finished using it I will close all open applications. Then before I leave my house I will go to he upper left and click sleep. Then the screen will go black but the imac will remain on for a decent time. Sometimes up to 20ish seconds. This is only recently it has begun this. Any ideas mates?

Rivvvers

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
The Shire
i found a solution to this issue on the apple discussion forums the other night, after its been plaguing me for the past couple of months.
Turns out, i caused it, and it was due to the fact that internet sharing was enabled.

It doesnt mean thats whats causing it for you, but you can use the terminal to find out what is preventing sleep from happening.

Open up Terminal and type: pmset -g but dont press return just yet.
Now try and put your mac to sleep, then "wake" it up if the display has gone blank and hit return in the terminal and it will return something like this.
rivers%20%E2%80%94%20bash%20%E2%80%94%2092%C3%9719%20%28via%20Ember%29.png

streetfoldsfive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
i found a solution to this issue on the apple discussion forums the other night, after its been plaguing me for the past couple of months.
Turns out, i caused it, and it was due to the fact that internet sharing was enabled.

It doesnt mean thats whats causing it for you, but you can use the terminal to find out what is preventing sleep from happening.

Open up Terminal and type: pmset -g but dont press return just yet.
Now try and put your mac to sleep, then "wake" it up if the display has gone blank and hit return in the terminal and it will return something like this.

After attempting to sleep the screen shut down but the computer kept running. So I turned woke screen up and hit return in terminal. However next to sleep it's just 0 :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.