Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidjuw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2002
I currently have a Dual 1ghz PowerMac (mirror version). I really like the machine, but I am beginning to think that it would be extremely nice to be able to use the notebook around the house and take it out ocassionally.

I usually use the notebook for word, excel, internet browsing, email, virtual pc, and the ocassional photoshop tasks.

Will the Powerbook be fast enough, or will it feel sluggish in comparison to the PowerMac. The PowerMac is extremely fast and I don't want to be disapointed with the Powerbook's speed.

Will it be a disappointment?

Thanks in advance,
DJ

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Re: Powerbook 1ghz vs PowerMac

Originally posted by davidjuw

I usually use the notebook for word, excel, internet browsing, email, virtual pc, and the ocassional photoshop tasks.

Will the Powerbook be fast enough, or will it feel sluggish in comparison to the PowerMac. The PowerMac is extremely fast and I don't want to be disapointed with the Powerbook's speed.
I think that for those tasks the 1GHZ Powerbook should do just fine :)

BenderBot1138

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2002
If you try to bend the spoon...

Think more in terms of what else are you going to use? A PC laptop? The Titanium Powerbook will do!

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
The powermac is a much better deal. Especially if you can get the educational discounts. I would get the powerbook. It also looks better, is less bulky, and you don't have to worry about a monitor. Go with the powerbook ;) .

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Originally posted by scem0
The powermac is a much better deal. Especially if you can get the educational discounts. I would get the powerbook. It also looks better, is less bulky, and you don't have to worry about a monitor. Go with the powerbook ;) .

Sorry, I got a little confused. The powermac is the better deal, but the powerbook is cooler? Hence you recommend the powerbook?;) :p

Like Dundral7 said, with the tasks you would like to do, the powerbook will be fine. It will be a tad slower...face it, its a laptop, and its not a dual processor. But not very many programs take advantage of the dual processors anyway...(i'm prob wrong)

If you have the cash for it, buy the powerbook. It's...cool:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.