Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdsii64

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2008
Earlier I posed a question about any real performance difference between the Solo x1 and x2 PCIe ssd cards in a 3.1 mac pro.

After that I went and did some reading. After discovering that slots 1 and 2 are x16 revision 2.0 and slots 3 and 4 are x4 revision 1.0 slots, I had another question.

My question is this. Even though slots 3 and 4 have less bandwidth and less physical lanes than slots 1 and 2, won't an SSD running in a Revision 1.0 x4 slot (i.e slots 3 or 4) still be faster than the SATA II speeds.

The reason I ask is that my current video card ( HD5770) is in slot 1 and I want to keep slot 2 empty for a second video card should I decide to go that route.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Earlier I posed a question about any real performance difference between the Solo x1 and x2 PCIe ssd cards in a 3.1 mac pro.

After that I went and did some reading. After discovering that slots 1 and 2 are x16 revision 2.0 and slots 3 and 4 are x4 revision 1.0 slots, I had another question.

My question is this. Even though slots 3 and 4 have less bandwidth and less physical lanes than slots 1 and 2, won't an SSD running in a Revision 1.0 x4 slot (i.e slots 3 or 4) still be faster than the SATA II speeds.

The reason I ask is that my current video card ( HD5770) is in slot 1 and I want to keep slot 2 empty for a second video card should I decide to go that route.

The PCIe 1.0 x4 slot should offer a potential throughput of 1GB/s which is plenty to get the full potential of a SATA3 SSD.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012

Yes, and as I said in your other thread, the Solo x1 card will do just fine in slots 3 or 4 and it will be bootable.

Lou

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.