Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malman89

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I did some cleaning the other day and found my DS Lite. It was hidden because a while back I either lost my charger or it stopped working.

After spending $4 on a charger off Amazon, I'm looking to get back into some DS gaming. Any recommendations on some must play games? I have for sure:

Mario Kart
Pokemon HeartGold

I have a few others somewhere I haven't found, but I could play those two for hours on end. I'd rather find a few new ones now that my DS has new life with a new charger.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
The Zelda games are top notch - both Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks.

I'm playing SoulSilver for the first time now - it does live up to the hype of being the best Pokemon game along with HeartGold - now to find a Pokewalker!

malman89

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I did some browsing and the Zelda games look pretty good.

Also, I stumbled across a commonly mentioned game - Advance Wars: Dual Strike. I remember playing countless hours on the GBA version. I'm hawking eBay for a version or there seems some decent listings on Amazon and elsewhere.

Is Pokemon Black/White 2 much better than HeartGold/SoulSilver? Looks like a pretty big change in the world.

Renzatic

Suspended
If there's one game I'd get a DS for, it'd be Dragon Quest IX. I've always been a fan of the DQ games, even back when they were called Dragon Warrior back in the NES days. They're easily my favorite JRPG series.

If you're into those types of games, I'd suggest picking it up.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The Zelda games are top notch - both Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks.

Eeeeeeeee, never got into those. Zelda is my fave gaming series but there was something off in the DS titles. Gone was the charm, the world, the music, the life of the series. IMO of course!

Must have DS games?
I'd say Pokemon HG/SS are better than BW/BW2. It's a much bigger world to explore when you consider that it's 2 maps in one. Pokemon Platinum is great too.
New Mario
Mario Kart
Advance Wars Dual Strike (better than Dark Days, or whatever the sequel was called)
Pokemon Conquest
Final Fantasy Tactics A2
Final Fantasy 3, 4 and 4 Heroes of Light
Meteos
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow, Order of Ecclesia (2 games I consider some of the best ever)
Infinite Space
Kirby (all 3 of them!)
Golden Sun Dark Dawn
Tetris DS
GTA Chinatown Wars
Nanostray

malman89

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Just snagged Advance Wars: Dual Strike for $15 shipped off eBay, so looking forward to that!

Eeeeeeeee, never got into those. Zelda is my fave gaming series but there was something off in the DS titles. Gone was the charm, the world, the music, the life of the series. IMO of course!

Must have DS games?
I'd say Pokemon HG/SS are better than BW/BW2. It's a much bigger world to explore when you consider that it's 2 maps in one. Pokemon Platinum is great too.
New Mario
Mario Kart
Advance Wars Dual Strike (better than Dark Days, or whatever the sequel was called)
Pokemon Conquest
Final Fantasy Tactics A2
Final Fantasy 3, 4 and 4 Heroes of Light
Meteos
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow, Order of Ecclesia (2 games I consider some of the best ever)
Infinite Space
Kirby (all 3 of them!)
Golden Sun Dark Dawn
Tetris DS
GTA Chinatown Wars
Nanostray

I actually reset my Pokemon HG game (I wasn't incredibly far anyways - few badges) last night. Forgot how quickly an hour and a half can go by there. Guess I'll hold off on BW2 until the very least I clear HG.

Nice list. I'll have to take a look and see what ones are up my alley. Is GTA on a DS feel like GTA? Seems like it would be tough to port over from a full sized console.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Just snagged Advance Wars: Dual Strike for $15 shipped off eBay, so looking forward to that!
It's ace! I find it much better than the darker one, there's just a lot more in Dual Strike. It's a really big game!

Nice list. I'll have to take a look and see what ones are up my alley. Is GTA on a DS feel like GTA? Seems like it would be tough to port over from a full sized console.
It doesn't feel exactly like GTA but it's definitely it's own beast. The drug dealing aspect is way more fun than it should be, it's basically a mix of the taxi driving minigames from previous games but with a bit of strategy thrown in. I pumped 40 hours into it over a holiday a few years ago and at no point did it feel like a drag!

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Meant to reply earlier

My top recommendations would be:

Super Mario DS -- if you loved Super Mario 64, this is it, remastered...the controls take some getting used to...

Animal Crossing -- I'm actually ready sell both my DS and 3DS versions, as these suck me in and cause me to waste hours...

Having a DS Lite means you can still play old GBA games, correct? In that case, I would also make sure you pick up some of the classics (or if not, look them up in their DS incarnations).

By way of example, Mario and Luigi Super Star Saga...it's the Paper Mario of the handheld. Highly recommended.

My Yoshi's Island is basically permamently installed on my DS.

For whatever reason, I love getting the newest hardware, and then playing the previous gen's games on it...go figure...

musicjunky

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
The Professor Layton games are very fun, if a bit easy, but really uses the DS gimmicks well.

malman89

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Having a DS Lite means you can still play old GBA games, correct? In that case, I would also make sure you pick up some of the classics (or if not, look them up in their DS incarnations).

Yep. Been searching for some cheap GBA games/bundles as well. Or a flash cart, but those seem pretty tough to find from a reliable source.

Got my Advanced Wars: Dual Strike the other day and spent a bunch of time on that, clearing the first 8 or so missions. Thanks for the recommendations!

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
From my DS collection:

Castlevania games
Phoenix Wright games (number 5 just came out on 3DS)
Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan (or if you prefer Elite Beat Agents)
Taiko no Tatsujin DS

And you already got Pokémon :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.