Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Both the 5S and 5C are selling extremely well around the world.

People who have described the 5C as a flop are wrong.

Wildly. Wrong.

I just go off by what I see on the streets..... Seen plenty of 5s, and have only seen one blue 5c, for me it's flopping as an apple product.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I can see it now...
Customer: I want the gold iPhone

VZW kid: sorry we don't have that in stock, but we do have their colored ones in stock or white. It works just the same and just as good as the other one.

Customer: okay

Gets home, why doesnt my finger work to unlock this phone?

Calls Apple....

Starts hating verizon

:D

Except that in the real world, most people willing to spend the money for an iPhone know exactly what they getting.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Once people realize this it'll be good. Bad things is they will now spin it a different way. Why? Because for some reason the Apple. "Fans" don't think a plastic phone can have quality. Well I'm sorry, but the 5c is a quality device. Just as the iPhone 5 is a quality device. I understand that some people prefer aluminum over plastic. So be it... There's just no sense in hating on a product. It's your opinion

My opinion is that I do NOT like the design of the 5/5s. I had a launch day 5 and returned it to stay on my 4s. The only reason I'm not on the 4s now was because of LTE. That said the sales gap between the 5 s and 5c will only get more narrow now. Early adopters have mostly gotten there...

Here's an instance. At my local Best Buy:

Customer: do you have the 5s in Gold ?
Employee: no, we have it in gray or silver.
Customer: I don't want those colors.
Employee: we do have most colors of the 5c.
Customer: isn't it plastic?
Employee: oh, I don't think you can consider this normal plastic.

Guess what happened ? They walked out with a white and pink 5c. Was it because it was pushed on them? Maybe, but it sold.

The 5s is in stock in my city everywhere just not Gold.

I totally agree with your comment.
I would very happily gotten the 5C if it wasn't for the improved camera (120fps video) and touch ID on the 5S. I much more prefer the 5C design and plastic does not bother me if is done right. Though I do agree with some users, they should have made black colour as well.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I just go off by what I see on the streets..... Seen plenty of 5s, and have only seen one blue 5c, for me it's flopping as an apple product.

I am amazed how you would assume a product "flop" simply because you have not seen it on the streets!

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
I totally agree with your comment.
I would very happily gotten the 5C if it wasn't for the improved camera (120fps video) and touch ID on the 5S. I much more prefer the 5C design and plastic does not bother me if is done right. Though I do agree with some users, they should have made black colour as well.

The lack of black is highly disappointing.

ProductivePal

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2013
I have the 5S and have played with the 5C

I bought the 5S right after launch (no I didn't line up) and I find it to be much much faster than the 5. The 5C albeit slower is very elegant and definitely feels like a step up from the 5.

If you're upgrading from a 4S or a 4 then moving up from them is a no brainer. For those who are wondering whether or not to move to the 5S here are 6 useful questions work asking

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I am amazed how you would assume a product "flop" simply because you have not seen it on the streets!

I've seen the 5c on TV (Formula 1 race in Japan, some videos of spectators, and at least one filming events with a green 5c).

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I'm sorry you fell it love with crap. I'm sorry you fell in love with last years hardware wrapped in plastic.

Let's see. I got my 4S two years ago, at launch. So... last year's hardware was not even on my radar. 4S to 5C = fabulous upgrade.

So I could be sorry you are in love with upgrading every year, but to each his own :)

Battlefield 2

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2013
Go figure, people who are buying basically a year-old phone already aren't in a hurry to get it, so the sales aren't going to be nearly as front-loaded. Still a great phone. Still selling very well.

----------

I'm sorry you're so blinded by your need to be a tool that a great phone that happens to be a year old (internally) is "crap" to you.

God forbid someone just not care to spend as much on a phone. Because it's a phone.
No, your poem isn't as nice as mine. Nice try.

----------

Let's see. I got my 4S two years ago, at launch. So... last year's hardware was not even on my radar. 4S to 5C = fabulous upgrade.

So I could be sorry you are in love with upgrading every year, but to each his own :)

Keep trying to justify yourself.

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
No, no, that can't be right! The 5C is a flop! Production was cut! No one wants those ugly colors! No one wants a plastic iPhone!

----------

Have you read any of the comments on this thread (or any related thread)? The 5C is not an "early adopter" product. It is targeted at a different audience. That audience is not standing in line on release day (or even release month) waiting to get the latest and greatest. Sales of the 5C will pick up over time, as sales of the 5S will decrease (until next fall, when the iPhone 6 will presumably be released).

Jacquesass

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
Except that you did. Your words, not mine.

"Just saying."

You're missing the point completely. I was merely stating that pastels are effeminate colors and I'm surprised that Apple based a major product line on pastels - no black, no grey, not even primary colors.

I never called male buyers of pastel phones effeminate. You should lighten up a bit. Just saying.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
You're missing the point completely. I was merely stating that pastels are effeminate colors and I'm surprised that Apple based a major product line on pastels - no black, no grey, not even primary colors.

I never called male buyers of pastel phones effeminate. You should lighten up a bit. Just saying.

Ha ha. Right. I don't give a flying you know what through a donut hole what you think of the colors or the people who like them, but it is sadly amusing when someone won't own up to their own words.

mollythomson

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2013
iPhone 5s Demand!

The popularity of apple iPhone 5S is unmatched. It has definitely
beaten its 5C model with huge margin. Now iPhone 5S has come up with
its gold iPhone having golden frame. It is definitely to attract the
customers who prefer royal look....http://www.iphone5sbestdeals.co.uk/

Last edited:

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013

Royal look?

More like Gangsta' rap look.

----------

Is that a link to your blog? I had a good laugh reading it. Is it a parody of something?

----------

I think the issue people have with the 5c is instead of getting the actual iphone 5 for 99/549 they got a cheapened version of it for no discount. People feel like they got jipped. It should have been the same price as the 5 normally would have gone to if they hadn't released the 5c.

To make matters even worse, the nexus 5 is about to be released with better materials (soft touch plastic vs glossy hard plastic), a much better cpu, and a bigger better screen for less money. With arguably the best software support in the industry. Nexus phones not only get all the updates but unlike apple where some features may be reserved for the device the ios version launched with, nexus devices get every feature in the new operating system. Nexus phones also come with a fully unlockable bootloader (without the need to register the phone like some manufacturers). Not only that but they come with the full source code to the OS, etc. The software possibilities for them are pretty much endless. And if you just want root and don't care about custom roms, the unlocked bootloader also means you don't have to wait for an exploit to gain root. You just flash the superuser binaries. There are plenty of one click tools that will do this for you.

Overall, the nexus phones fit both people who love to tinker and change everything, but also people who want something that just works as well. That is a very difficult combo to attain. Now if google could just get the carriers interested enough to sell them directly without molesting them. Atleast my Verizon Galaxy Nexus is officially in AOSP. I have a fully functional and stable 4.3 build on it. The sprint variant isn't in official AOSP and they have yet to get 4g data working on 4.3. The Verizon model was good to go on day 1 of the 4.3 release. Ideally, google would sell one variant and the updates would be handled through them. Carriers would be free to subsidize them, but the software build does not get touched. Everyone has the same software.

The 5 wasn't that good of a phone. It's the iPad 3 of iPhones, and collects chips and wear like a bad habit. Apple needs to use the best material for the job. Anodized aluminum isn't that material.

Who cares about android phones., they could make them out of titanium and Swarovski crystal and all they would do ismpiss me off.

gopnick

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
I still find it odd that the 5c isn't offered in a grey or black color. Like the rest of you guys, I understand the math on how little the true upgrade cost really is from 5c to 5s (when averaged out over a two year contract) - but if I was in the market for a 5c, I would want something a little less ... effeminate.

No offense to the real men who bought a pink one. Just saying.

I think the lack of a black phone was to prevent business customers from going over to the 'c' line and instead stay on 's'. I've upgraded about 10 of my users' phones since the 5S/5C came out (only one woman.... construction industry), and with the exception a few power users, no one cares about getting a 5S.... but they DID all decide on one, because they didn't like any of the colors available in the 5C.

Apple thought this through. I like my white & silver 5S, but 99% of the men I see with iPhones have black phones.

gopnick

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
So what you are "just saying" is that men who buy a 5c are effeminate?

No, he's saying that the colors Apple went with look effeminate. And they do.

I have an "effeminate" white & silver iPhone. Does that make me effeminate? No.

I think maybe you took that a bit too personally.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
No, he's saying that the colors Apple went with look effeminate. And they do.

I have an "effeminate" white & silver iPhone. Does that make me effeminate? No.

I think maybe you took that a bit too personally.

effeminate |iˈfemənət| adjective
(of a man) having or showing characteristics regarded as typical of a woman; unmanly.

Personally, I don't care if anyone thinks secret meanings can be found in these colors and the people who like them, but it just happens to be the dictionary definition. We've also seen all sorts of comments about what kind of colors are seen as "businesslike." People do have their strange prejudices.

ilikeflop

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2013
Wait until February. I'm sure we will see "new" colors released in February.

This is a common strategy of the Android phone manufacturers. Release a few basic colors at launch. Then, in a few month (or weeks), release carrier specific colors.

AT&T will probably get black. Verizon will probably get dark blue. Sprint will probably get garnet red.

I'm betting.... "Not a chance".

Any actual basis for you being "sure" of this.... such as Apple doing it in the past... or just the silly "I assume Apple will copy Android's strategy although they seem to NEVER have before & in actuality.. march to their own beat"?

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
I'm betting.... "Not a chance".

Any actual basis for you being "sure" of this.... such as Apple doing it in the past... or just the silly "I assume Apple will copy Android's strategy although they seem to NEVER have before & in actuality.. march to their own beat"?

They did this with the iPod Shuffle when last updated the Touch and the Nano.

They also added space gray to the iPod color line when they released the 5s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.