Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jetmaster114

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2012
I am ripping some DVDs that I recorded some time ago...copied old home movies from tape to DVD. Most rip fine using handbrake but some stop processing in Handbrake prematurely. I've found by playing the DVD's in DVD PLAYER for which that happens that there is disc damage at that point (DVD PLAYER says "skipping damaged part" or to that effect.

I'd hate not to rip the rest of the dvd. Is there a way around this?

Thanks,

Jeff

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
you can try mac the ripper (or similar, not sure if it still works or not).
It will rip the entire disc to your hard drive, then you point handbrake to that image.

I haven't used it in a while, but it used to be a little more forgiving than handbrake by itself.

Cinephi1e

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
Northwest Ohio
Here is what you can do. Save the file that Handbrake encoded until it fails and note the time at which that occurred. Now restart Handbrake and once the DVD is loaded, change the start time to a few second (or minutes) after the failure point. Now Handbrake should encode the remainder of the DVD in a second file. You can combine the two files afterwards or leave them as they are.

This works reasonably well if there are only one or two damaged sections in a DVD. If you have multiple damaged sections then you may want to contact a professional service that recover the data for from the disc for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.