Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which PowerMac Should I Buy?

• Cinema Display, Hard Drive Issue

Votes: 17 89.5%
  • Low Spec, No Issue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • High Specs, Fan Issue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mid Spec, No Issue

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
I am wanting a PowerMac G5, I have found two for the same price but are very different

Option 1:
Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5
2 HD's (80GB & 250GB)
1 GB RAM
Silver Cinema Display
Hard drives will not allways allow you to write on them

Option 2:
Dual 1.8GHz Power PC G5
80GB HD
2GB RAM
No issues, no monitor

Option 3:
Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5
400GB HD
4GB RAM
Fans do not turn off even when the power is off
No monitor

Option 4:
Dual 1.8GHz PowerPC G5
160GB HD
2GB RAM
No issue, no monitor

I'm really torn between 1 & 4 I really want the Cinema Display but I'm nervous about the Hard drive issue

I don't need people to be 100% accurate just looking for a bit of advise

Last edited:

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
Option 1 for the fact that it includes the display, fastest processors, and the HDs can be replaced and usually for very cheap. Could even throw in an SSD or two in there.

sarthak

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
Go with #1 could be an issue with permissions since the drives don't allow writing, maybe a bad OS install or it could be something even worse (failing drives). You could always replace them.

With #3, it could be a power supply issue or something that can't by fixed by simple fan replacement or PRAM/SMC/CUDA/etc. resets.

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
Option 1 for the fact that it includes the display, fastest processors, and the HDs can be replaced and usually for very cheap. Could even throw in an SSD or two in there.

I plan on getting an SSD or hybrid for my MBP so if it's a Hard Drive issue I will just put my 500GB from my MacBook Pro in that :)
option 1 all day just buy new HD's

Sounds like a plan haha

Go with #1 could be an issue with permissions since the drives don't allow writing, maybe a bad OS install or it could be something even worse (failing drives). You could always replace them.

With #3, it could be a power supply issue or something that can't by fixed by simple fan replacement or PRAM/SMC/CUDA/etc. resets.

Didn't think about the permissions or OS install... That would be really nice! That was my concern about #3 it sounded like a bigger issue

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
Didn't think about the permissions or OS install... That would be really nice! That was my concern about #3 it sounded like a bigger issue

Would be awesome if a fresh OS install would fix the HD issue. :) I also agree with your idea of throwing your MBP's old drive in there. That would work!

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
Would be awesome if a fresh OS install would fix the HD issue. :) I also agree with your idea of throwing your MBP's old drive in there. That would work!

Cool, do you know if the PowerMac running Leopard (with 2GHz Dual Core0 runs netflix/youtube?

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Cool, do you know if the PowerMac running Leopard (with 2GHz Dual Core0 runs netflix/youtube?

PowerPC can't run Netflix as Netflix uses Microsoft Silverlight, I have heard of some people getting an older beta of Silverlight to work, but it appears to be a huge pain in the ass.

Netflix is also moving to an HTML 5 based player, so depending on what support PPC browsers will have for HTML 5, Netflix may come back to PPC macs.

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
PowerPC can't run Netflix as Netflix uses Microsoft Silverlight, I have heard of some people getting an older beta of Silverlight to work, but it appears to be a huge pain in the ass.

Netflix is also moving to an HTML 5 based player, so depending on what support PPC browsers will have for HTML 5, Netflix may come back to PPC macs.

That "hack" doesn't work. It just tricks the installer but the app is still Intel-Only.

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
1 or 4...but 1 if you have the choice. HDD can be replaced for cheaper than a cinema display.

I guarantee You I wouldn't buy the cinema display, I have on OK dell monitor I could use, I am meeting the person with the 2GHz G5 & Cinema Display tomorrow after I drop my MBP off at the Apple Store :)

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Option 1 seems tempting, but if both hard drives don't always write, maybe the issue isn't the HDs themselves? So replacing them might not solve the issue.

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
Working on getting the airport to work and it actually had a 380 & 80 GB Hard Drive, it runs pretty good, I think the airport card is bad so I'm installing one from my iMac hopefully it works!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 131

bizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Do you live near NJ by any chance? I have a quad 2.5ghz that was all cleaned up and checked out by myself (I am an ACMT) that I'd love to give away.

sucramdi

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2011
Quebec
If you really want the cinema display go for it, replacing the hard drive would be cheaper than getting a cinema display display to go with one of the other ones.

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
That "hack" doesn't work. It just tricks the installer but the app is still Intel-Only.

Not a big deal, I can use my MacBook Pro... when it is actually working.

Do you live near NJ by any chance? I have a quad 2.5ghz that was all cleaned up and checked out by myself (I am an ACMT) that I'd love to give away.

Close..ish, Im in Michigan, I would have loved to pick yours up though, I would be surprised if it doesn't sell fast.

If you really want the cinema display go for it, replacing the hard drive would be cheaper than getting a cinema display display to go with one of the other ones.

I haven't noticed any issues with the Hard Drive, about to install Windows 7 to the smaller one, but the big hard drive has been working flawlessly, a little loud but oh well.

So you guys can see, I got it all setup and running well :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 179
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.