Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jacotte33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Good day to all,

I tried to search for an answer but didn't find so far. Could any one recommend a duplicate file finder program that works and is easy to use (possibly a freebee)?

Thanks for your expert input
JC

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
If you want to duplicate a file, just select it or however many you want to duplicate, and either copy and paste or option drag them where you want them to go including the folder you are already in.

padapada

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Good day to all,

I tried to search for an answer but didn't find so far. Could any one recommend a duplicate file finder program that works and is easy to use (possibly a freebee)?

Thanks for your expert input
JC

I tried several GUI based tools and did not like any of them. It takes ages to scan your drive and then they present a single list control with zillions of files. It's something you will not see in any of the screenshots or demo movies. It's something to be aware of before spending your money.

Being a programmer myself I don't shy away from unix-ish command line tools and I happened to find a really nice one: rmlint
It's very easy to get running using the Xcode command line tools. It does not solve the problem of a human being faced with a very long list of files.

I did not want to spend days clicking in a nice UI. RMLint was *much* faster in my case. Saved me days of very annoying work...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.