Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djkreate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
anybody buy used Hd and have any issues with em? looking to buy a enclosure and a internal hd to make a external.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
I had.....

bought my fair share of HDDs. Always checked them with some utility or at least Disk Utility, to see if some issues surface. If they appear, I dont buy.....

:):apple:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
As a rule I just wouldn't. Even if the HDD reports as clean, you have no way of knowing what it's done over it's life span.

Storage is cheap too.

We have drives here that are only months old but have done a ton of work...also have a couple that have done very little. You just can;t tell by a DU verification what the device has been up to.

I'd buy new.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I bought a used SSD for my '06 MBP. It has so far worked excellent for 2 years on top of the 2 years it had already been running.

In my experience, if a HDD/SSD has worked flawlessly for 1+ year, then it will continue to work for a long time.

Tysknaden

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2013
Never was so daring... using a harddisc for my precious data... being in danger, that it is already on the way to it's ancestors, before even touched by me for the first time.
There is no tool, which really tells, how heavily a harddisc has been used.

anybody buy used Hd and have any issues with em? looking to buy a enclosure and a internal hd to make a external.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.