Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is preparing updates to the Mavericks versions of iBooks, Safari, and Remote Desktop, in addition to a Mail.app fix for Gmail users that was revealed last week, according to 9to5Mac.

The site does not reveal any of the changes that are coming, but says they have Apple's standard "improvements to performance and stability" patch notes.

safariibookmail.jpg
For iBooks, Apple says that the new version (1.0.1) "includes bug fixes and improvements to performance and stability." iBooks is a new application in Mavericks that allows the reading and downloading of iBooks and iBooks Textbooks.

Apple is yet to specify to employees what the new Safari version entails, but is labeled as version 7.0.1. The slight version number increase indicates that this is a bug-fix and performance-focused release, not a new version with several new features.
9to5Mac notes that the Mail.app update will come separate from a larger OS X 10.9.1 update and could go live as soon as a few days from now.

Article Link: Apple Preparing Bug Fix Updates to Mail, iBooks, Safari and Remote Desktop

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
I really hope this update fixes the issue of making iBooks hide my entire book collection

flyingember

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2011
I hope that bug fixed in ibooks includes being able to edit the metadata, but I'm not holding my breath.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Oh thank goodness, I'm tired of not being able to scroll Mail messages. It seems to happen randomly, ----hoping these bug fixes will fix that! And a few other little things.

polterbyte

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Brazil
Pretty fast (but still not a minute too soon in the case of Mail/GMail). And I'm still surprised this didn't come up during the beta test.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
I just wish iTunes would stop randomly quitting while playing music. Started doing it after the Mavericks upgrade, and repairing disk permissions, etc, hasn't helped.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Hoping for the Mail issue to be fixed where my Inboxes on the Mac are synced days behind my actual Inboxes from Google. Rarely will it sync up and push the correct mail after updating to 10.9.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
9to5Mac notes that the Mail.app update will come separate from a larger OS X 10.9.1 update and could go live as soon as a few days from now.

This is the best bit of news. I feared that they would want to roll this into 10.9.1, which hasn't even been seeded to developers yet.

I haven't gone over to Mavericks yet. Am I missing anything productive wise?

Not really, unless you are on a laptop and would value an extra hour or two of battery.

koppie644

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2011
with the debut of iBooks, iTunes doesn't transfer third-party ebooks into its library now AND iBooks doesn't transfer either! The torch relay is disturbed and please bring this purchase transfer back to iBooks.

A way to do this right now is to use third-party tools like iTools to transfer the ebooks to the Mac and then open them using iBooks. Afterwards, synchronization works like before

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple is preparing updates to the Mavericks versions of iBooks, Safari, and Remote Desktop, in addition to a Mail.app fix for Gmail users that was revealed last week, according to 9to5Mac.

The site does not reveal any of the changes that are coming, but says they have Apple's standard "improvements to performance and stability" patch notes.

Article Link: Apple Preparing Bug Fix Updates to Mail, iBooks, Safari and Remote Desktop

peglegjack

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm wayyyyy more concerned about an update to the completely and totally unusable GarageBand.

At least these other apps function.

CubusX

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2009
iTunes???

What about the iTunes bug? My library and iTunes Match took a dump after updating to Mavericks and the newest iTunes update.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
What about the iTunes bug? My library and iTunes Match took a dump after updating to Mavericks and the newest iTunes update.

After I updated to Mavericks, iTunes started crashing while doing nothing in particular. It seems to crash only when Aperture is open so it probably has something to do with home sharing of the Aperture library.

Every crash report gets sent to Apple so I'll patiently await a fix. :mad:

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
I still haven't had any of these issues. This confuses me enough that I almost want to change my workflow or something to try and experience done of these.

C'mon Apple, I want something to complain about!

Überkraft

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2013

Not really, unless you are on a laptop and would value an extra hour or two of battery.

That, and performance improvements for any desktops or laptops with a limited supply of RAM, and better management of background apps. Plus, a lower power bill because of the power savings, so it could potentially even have a use on desktops. I honestly see no reason to not get it. For those worried about bugs, wait for 10.9.1. I wouldn't wait any longer than that though, as Mavericks is already extremely stable, and free.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012

wait for 10.9.1 if you've waited this long. performance has improved a lot and really liking all the small feature/UI changes, but there's still a few bugs to be smoothed out.:D

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
with the debut of iBooks, iTunes doesn't transfer third-party ebooks into its library now AND iBooks doesn't transfer either! The torch relay is disturbed and please bring this purchase transfer back to iBooks.

A way to do this right now is to use third-party tools like iTools to transfer the ebooks to the Mac and then open them using iBooks. Afterwards, synchronization works like before

just use Amazon Kindle and don't worry about it

Todd B.

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2013
Haven't had any of those issues but the one thing I wish they would fix is the music app not displaying audiobook chapters. :( It worked fine before but now whenever I listen, it displays as one long track rather than selectable chapters.

And, this isn't really a big, but I hate how they made iBooks so PLAIN. The shelves and the page turning and everything is what made iBooks iBooks - now it's just like any other ebook reader. I hope they bring back the charm of it. :(

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Pretty fast (but still not a minute too soon in the case of Mail/GMail). And I'm still surprised this didn't come up during the beta test.

It did. For me at least. Can't wait for the fix. Driving me nuts.

----------

If you have a multi-monitor setup, you're missing out on that huge improvement. Other than that, probably not much, IMO.

Not entirely untrue. Although it was nice to get directions on Maps on my MacBook on Saturday, then effortlessly send them to my iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.