Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cyborg21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
I want a rMBP but I will use it for at least 5 years. Will it still able to run all apps and programs after 5 years? Also I use my computer most of day so how much battery will left after 5 years? Sorry for my bad english.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My 2009 Mac mini is running everything I throw at it. While I cannot tell what the future will bring, I'd say the odds are very good you'll be able too.

I think your question is difficult to answer for any computer and it all depends on the software you plan on running but for most consumers, its conceivable to get 5 years out of a computer (if they want to get 5 years)

Cyborg21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
My 2009 Mac mini is running everything I throw at it. While I cannot tell what the future will bring, I'd say the odds are very good you'll be able too.

I think your question is difficult to answer for any computer and it all depends on the software you plan on running but for most consumers, its conceivable to get 5 years out of a computer (if they want to get 5 years)

Thank you so much! But what about lifespan of battery? Will I able to carry my rMBP everywhere without carrying a charger or replacing battery?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Thank you so much! But what about lifespan of battery? Will I able to carry my rMBP everywhere without carrying a charger or replacing battery?

Battery is very much dependant on use. Read the battery FAQ and follow it and you'll be good for years

Voca

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2013
Atlanta, GA
rMBP Battery

As long as you charge and use your battery in a normal manner, you should be fine for the next 2-3 years, meaning:
Fully charge and then use, until the battery is almost empty(5-10%)
If you disregard this, you will be replacing your battery within 6-9months!

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyborg21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
Battery is very much dependant on use. Read the battery FAQ and follow it and you'll be good for years

I use my computer for 6-7 hours a day. So probably I will charge my 15'' rMBP once a day. So after 5 years will battery get dead or %50 - %40 capacity left? Also, will using rMBP while it's chraging shorten battery lifespan? How many hours do I need to fully charge 15'' rMBP? And I heard that you get an electricty shock if you touch a chraging macbook pro, is it true?

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
I want a rMBP but I will use it for at least 5 years. Will it still able to run all apps and programs after 5 years? Also I use my computer most of day so how much battery will left after 5 years? Sorry for my bad english.

I am typing in a macbook pro 17" from 2007 and I just rescued a 12" powerbook from 2004 from my moms house. You will need to replace batteries no mater what each 2 to 3 years. And have back ups of hard drives.

jjhoekstra

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2009
Expect 3-5 years of battery-life, depending on how much you throw at them and how much you abuse them. Apple has a very clear battery-faq on their site. Follow it and you can expect 4-5 years of use. Abuse your batteries and you will get 3-4 years. My 12 month old MacBookPro is used very hard 7 days a week and now has 91% battery health. A 3 year old MacbookAir in our household now has 82% battery health after being used 4-6 hours per day during that time.

Cyborg21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
Expect 3-5 years of battery-life, depending on how much you throw at them and how much you abuse them. Apple has a very clear battery-faq on their site. Follow it and you can expect 4-5 years of use. Abuse your batteries and you will get 3-4 years. My 12 month old MacBookPro is used very hard 7 days a week and now has 91% battery health. A 3 year old MacbookAir in our household now has 82% battery health after being used 4-6 hours per day during that time.

What do you mean by ''abuse battery''. Also How much replacing battery costs?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I am typing in a macbook pro 17" from 2007 and I just rescued a 12" powerbook from 2004 from my moms house. You will need to replace batteries no mater what each 2 to 3 years. And have back ups of hard drives.
Your talking about the older 300 cycle batteries.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
As long as you charge and use your battery in a normal manner, you should be fine for the next 2-3 years, meaning:

http://www.vocamacrepair.com

That is good advice for Ni-Cad batteries, but Apple used Li-ion. Li-ion degrades when it is discharged, so it is better to keep it above 40%, and you don't need to charge in one go.

I sold my unibody Macbook after 3.5 years with 94% battery health. My iMac got more use than the Macbook, but using it as an only machine, I think the battery could easily last the 5 years the original poster hopes for, if looked after.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I use my computer for 6-7 hours a day. So probably I will charge my 15'' rMBP once a day. So after 5 years will battery get dead or %50 - %40 capacity left? Also, will using rMBP while it's chraging shorten battery lifespan? How many hours do I need to fully charge 15'' rMBP? And I heard that you get an electricty shock if you touch a chraging macbook pro, is it true?

It's very simple really: Keep the MacBook plugged in when you can. Unplug it when you use it and can't have it plugged in. And don't worry about it. That way, the battery will last for many years (it is rated for 1000 full charge / discharge cycles), and when it's no good, Apple will replace it with a new one (for some payment).

If a MacBook, or any other computer, or any other electric device, gives you electric shocks, stop using it _immediately_ and return it to the store to have it fixed or get your money back. If it gives you shocks, it can kill you.

mono1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Lansing, MI
It's very simple really: Keep the MacBook plugged in when you can. Unplug it when you use it and can't have it plugged in. And don't worry about it. That way, the battery will last for many years (it is rated for 1000 full charge / discharge cycles), and when it's no good, Apple will replace it with a new one (for some payment).

If a MacBook, or any other computer, or any other electric device, gives you electric shocks, stop using it _immediately_ and return it to the store to have it fixed or get your money back. If it gives you shocks, it can kill you.

I followed this advice and got 6 years out of my Macbook battery. And the batteries now are better than the batteries from back then.

dss10

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
FWIW, I have a 06 Macbook that is on its third battery and is in daily use (I might get a SSD for it....) and I have a friend with a titanium G4 powerbook that is still going strong so I don't think that longevity should be an issue. I'd be more worried about "under specing" your Macbook and having future applications and OS's being unusable sooner than later.....

kunai

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013

http://www.vocamacrepair.com

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, WRONG advice. Li+ batteries DO NOT have a memory effect, and doing this will DECREASE your lifespan.

Just charge whenever. If you need to top up and your battery is only 60%, go ahead and top up. It won't hurt.

The only time you'll need to drain the battery and then recharge it is every couple of months so that the battery meter is recalibrated.

tl;dr: if you use the computer normally, you'll be fine.

Reactions: DrStern

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011

Today I added 6GB of ram instead of the 2GB my 17" 2008 MBP had. Is running so goooood! for real! is loading web sites way faster and many other applications too. Just because it does not have to use virtual ram.

This week I will install the SSD drive too.

My point is that my MBP is 6 years old and I had just replaced the battery once by an original one and still full capacity. I am pretty sure your 15" would do better.

ecrispy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
What is the cost of battery replacement. I'm asking for a country which doesn't have any official Apple retail stores but has authorized resellers. Its very hard to find info in such cases from Apple.

Tavicu

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2013
Romania
What is the cost of battery replacement. I'm asking for a country which doesn't have any official Apple retail stores but has authorized resellers. Its very hard to find info in such cases from Apple.

The price is the same! At least in my country ...

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.