Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eleyva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2013
I cannot get my ipad air from Att to work with my iphone sim car that has unlimited can some one please advice me if there is something else I need to do thank you.

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
I cannot get my ipad air from Att to work with my iphone sim car that has unlimited can some one please advice me if there is something else I need to do thank you.

I found that with those unlimited sims you need to reboot the device after you put the sim in. Sometimes you even need to reset network settings

Additionally you may need to go to http://unlockit.co.nz/ and have it use a regular APN instead of the default broadband APN

Eleyva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2013
Which one there are a lot for Att I installed the Att lte but does not work

I put in the aim card then I reboot the phone and reset network settings it shows 4g for a second and then no service.

Eleyva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2013
I found that with those unlimited sims you need to reboot the device after you put the sim in. Sometimes you even need to reset network settings

Additionally you may need to go to http://unlockit.co.nz/ and have it use a regular APN instead of the default broadband APN

Wich one u recommend thanks

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012

Try the plain AT&T. Otherwise try the isp.cingular. Youll need to remove before you add a new one
Settings - general - profiles. Find the profile for the APN you added and remove it

Eleyva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2013
Try the plain AT&T. Otherwise try the isp.cingular. Youll need to remove before you add a new one
Settings - general - profiles. Find the profile for the APN you added and remove it

No luck my friend still no service, this sucks don't know if I have a lock ipad or not

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Looks like AT&T may be blocking iPads on phone SIM cards now. Before, if you put in a phone SIM on a non-phone device, you just get a "friendly" message about needing the correct plan. Perhaps now they're just blocking tablets outright.

Eleyva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2013
I got it used the Att hpse or something like that it came up in 4g open safari loaded a page then back to cellular turned lte off then back in and I am in business thank for your help buddy

navindralr

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
Any luck on this? iPad Air w/ iPhone 5S sim that is provisioned for unlimited data. Can't seem to get it to work... :confused:

Eleyva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2013
Yes

Any luck on this? iPad Air w/ iPhone 5S sim that is provisioned for unlimited data. Can't seem to get it to work... :confused:

Use this site http://unlockit.co.nz/

Hit the link in the bottom with a down arrow

And install the one that says AT&T (HSPA+)

Toggle between airplane mode on and off and it will work let me know!

It also work if u turn it off

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Will this method work for a SIM from a T-Mobile phone as well? Anyone have the APN that works?

Eleyva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2013
Will this method work for a SIM from a T-Mobile phone as well? Anyone have the APN that works?

I think there is go to the same page and try all T-Mobile APN and see if any of them works. Of course you will need to remove the one installed before installing the next one hope this help.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I think there is go to the same page and try all T-Mobile APN and see if any of them works. Of course you will need to remove the one installed before installing the next one hope this help.

Can't find any that work, they all direct me to the t-mo welcome page, lol

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
T-Mobile and AT&T block phone sims from being used in iPads/tablets. Don't waste any more time trying.

Right, but how do they know? There's no way for them to know really. They're not checking IMEI in real-time. And furthermore why would they care? iPhone and iPad use data in the same way.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Right, but how do they know? There's no way for them to know really. They're not checking IMEI in real-time. And furthermore why would they care? iPhone and iPad use data in the same way.

They are checking and this is why you can't use the phone sim in an iPad or other tablet. It used to work at one time for both AT&T and T-Mobile but they started blocking some time ago.

They do this because they want you to use a data plan for the tablet and a phone sim for a phone. No other reason, oh and profit.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
They are checking and this is why you can't use the phone sim in an iPad or other tablet. It used to work at one time for both AT&T and T-Mobile but they started blocking some time ago.

They do this because they want you to use a data plan for the tablet and a phone sim for a phone. No other reason, oh and profit.

There's got to be a way around it.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
For Att there is... Tmobile don't know.

How does one bypass ATT's device detection? Should work the same on TMO. Device detection is by IMEI, so if you say use a different APN, that's not circumventing the IMEI detection.

fretx

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2013
I can confirm AT&T unlimited 5s sim getting LTE on Verizon ipad air with unlockit.co.nz apn settings set to at&t(HSPA+).Sim has been in the ipad for 4 days nothing strange from at&t yet.Speedtest.net app speeds 18 to 19 kbps down 8 to 10 kbps up.AT&T LTE name in notification line.

jamesey271975

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2014
worked for me

switched my iphone 5s sim into ipad mini retina, turned airplane on and off. booooom, works. Banner initially says 4g but then switched to LTE.

Speedtest is 7mbps down and 6mbps up. Nice.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
switched my iphone 5s sim into ipad mini retina, turned airplane on and off. booooom, works. Banner initially says 4g but then switched to LTE.

Speedtest is 7mbps down and 6mbps up. Nice.

Which carrier? I had always read that on AT&T at least they detect that you are using an iPhone sim in an iPad and they send a warning before they suspend your account. If that's not happening anymore then that's an interesting development.

jamesey271975

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2014
Which carrier? I had always read that on AT&T at least they detect that you are using an iPhone sim in an iPad and they send a warning before they suspend your account. If that's not happening anymore then that's an interesting development.

ah ok, im with ATT. If i get a notice that'll be the end of that. To be honest i would harldy ever not have access to wifi so doesnt worry me too much. Just was curious if it was even possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.