Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
IMO - the iPad Air is simply the best product Apple has launched since the iPhone 4. Using it is remarkable. I was so close to moving on from Apple. So close to buying a Nexus 5 and moving away from iOS.

I didn't purchase the iPhone 5S (the first iPhone I haven't owned). Then the iPad Air happened. It's plain magical. If there was a product SJobs really helped build it was this one.

I totally agree with you on the first part. As for the iPhone 5S I want to add that it basically shares the whole A7 64 bit architecture, the OS and also includes the fingerprint technology. So you pretty much should enjoy that one too. There were worse deals in the iPhone history if you ask me.

PureEntropy

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2013
Telecomm companies are great with percentages...

These updates remind me of the Verizon "V-Cents" scandal.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Lots of math fail on AT&T's part.

Surprised folks here have not jumped all over this.

If you did the SAME as last year, that is a 0% increase.
If you TWICE as many as last year, that is a 100% increase.
If you did THREE TIMES as many, that is a 200% increase.

Not sure why this is so difficult.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I totally agree with you on the first part. As for the iPhone 5S I want to add that it basically shares the whole A7 64 bit architecture, the OS and also includes the fingerprint technology. So you pretty much should enjoy that one too. There were worse deals in the iPhone history if you ask me.

yes, having owned an iPhone 5 (with iOS 6 and iOS 7) and now the iPhone 5S, the 5S is a very worthwhile upgrade... the speed difference mainly, but the camera and the fingerprint tech are big ones too (plus my battery seems to fair better on the 5S than on my 5... my 5's battery life was atrocious, on iOS 6 and 7).

aperry

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
As for the iPhone 5S I want to add that it basically shares the whole A7 64 bit architecture, the OS and also includes the fingerprint technology. So you pretty much should enjoy that one too.

The fingerprint sensor is a nice and innovative feature, IMO. The A7 is great if you're unhappy with your current phone's performance (most iPhone 5 owners that I know weren't begging for better performance). 64-bit is a highly debatable "upgrade". That's probably why many of us are more interested in seeing what the iPhone 6 has to offer.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007

It is difficult because three times has a 3 in it and 200% has a 2 in it. I'm not sure why you are surprised that some folks are getting the math wrong. I'm hoping you see the error of your ways and this turns you around 360 degrees. :)

absurdamerica

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
IMO - the iPad Air is simply the best product Apple has launched since the iPhone 4. Using it is remarkable. I was so close to moving on from Apple. So close to buying a Nexus 5 and moving away from iOS.

I didn't purchase the iPhone 5S (the first iPhone I haven't owned). Then the iPad Air happened. It's plain magical. If there was a product SJobs really helped build it was this one.

Honestly, I've always skipped every other release of iPhone and it really works out well for me. I'm never upping my contract early, and each upgrade always feels fairly significant.

I love my tech, but a new phone every year is just "meh" for me budget wise.

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Update 3: ATT representative said they have no idea what they are talking about... :p

mbh

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
How long before some talking head on CNBC describes this as disappointing?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Update: Though AT&T's press release says activations "increased more than 200%" from last year, suggesting that activations had tripled from 2012, AllThingsD says an AT&T spokesperson clarified that sales were double those of a year ago, not tripled as the statement still claims on AT&T's website.

Update 2: AT&T has clarified again, stating that the original press release is correct and activations are more than triple what they were last year.

At AT&T, communications is our business!

diogolg

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
Update 3: AT&T now makes crystal clear the clarification, the activation number increased fu*** a lot

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012

What sort of functional improvements does it offer over the previous model, other than it having a (much)more powerful processor? I've liked the iPads that I have used, but what makes the Air so much better than the other ones? The fact it is marginally thinner? Marginally lighter? Moderately better battery life? Does the improved CPU make it 'magical'?

As far as I am aware, those are the only improvements the Air has other than the way it looks.

Also, the iPad air is 4x larger than the Nexus 5, and is also not a cellphone. These are two completely different products, why are you comparing them?

----------

Perhaps they meant to say "Sales have increased to 200% what they were last year" and bungled the wording.

aperry

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
I'm not really surprised by this. The iPad 4 wasn't really a must-have for most people. This one at least is a worthy upgrade. Additionally, the article states that the Ipad 4 wifi version was available several weeks before the cellular-enabled models. So if any anxious buyers were on the fence, they would have purchased the wifi version, thereby stealing activations from the ATT version. A 2x increase is not all that amazing IMO.

I wonder how it compares to the iPad 3 launch.

scbn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Update on update on update?

Come on, AT&T, it's not that hard to count how many iPads you have activated compared to last year! :)

aperry

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Also, the iPad air is 4x larger than the Nexus 5, and is also not a cellphone. These are two completely different products, why are you comparing them?

He's not comparing it to the Nexus 5. He's saying that he was about to jump ship from the iOS ecosystem, with his first (and most important) purchase being an Android phone. Now he is apparently so impressed by this latest iPad that he's considering keeping everything on iOS.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010

Its the first product in a while that I would be excited about the thinness.

ISanych

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2013
UK
I wonder what the retina mini weekend numbers will be.
I walked in Apple store Friday morning and got 128Gb version (now there is 5-10 days delivery for all 128Gb models in UK, but every other model in stock). It looks like Mini2 will have availability issues so we couldn't compare Air and Mini2, we wouldn't see real picture.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
I walked in Apple store Friday morning and got 128Gb version (now there is 5-10 days delivery for all 128Gb models in UK, but every other model in stock). It looks like Mini2 will have availability issues so we couldn't compare Air and Mini2, we wouldn't see real picture.

True. I more or less meant I wonder how many will the mini2 sell.... Just curious

Macs In LA

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2008
THERE IS NO $25/3 MONTH-1GB PLAN on AT&T

AT&T as of today does not have the plan, and clearly told me in a live chat there were no plans to introduce one.

If there were, I'd buy the LTE-enabled iPad. I only need cellular access in a pinch for a book, email or info lookup.

So I am considering buying the T-Mobile version for the 200MB per month free.

Last edited:

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Lmao, I wouldn't be surprised if the stock did a wave up, down and then further down. Because good news seems to be bad for the stock.

----------

AT&T as of today does not have the plan, and clearly told me in a live chat there were no plans to introduce one.

If there were, I'd buy the LTE-enabled iPad. I only need cellular access in a pinch for a book, email or info lookup.

So I am considering buying the T-Mobile version for the 200MB per month free.
Same here! I use my iPhone 5 most of the time for iTunes Radio while on LTE. Apart from that, I do some web browsing here and there. And even then, I use WiFi when I'm indoors. That's why I feel the 200MB free plan would be great for me. I wouldn't use my iPad Air for iTunes Radio which makes up the most of my data consumption. And I could also use WiFi when I'm indoors on my iPad Air. The 200MB per month would be great when I'm on the road and I wanna surf the web or watch a clip online.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I wonder how it compares to the iPad 3 launch.

I agree. Something like 7 months after the iPad 3 came out. So many early adopters were adopted out from earlier in the year. The iPad 3 was a must have upgrade (maybe not, if I had known:), with it's retina display.

I'll be waiting at least another year, then have to consider whether to upgrade a phone, the iPad, or neither.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.