Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jalopy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
Is there a risk of transferring malware to a non-iphone cell phone when it is connected to a mac via usb cable?

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Is there a risk of transferring malware to a non-iphone cell phone when it is connected to a mac via usb cable?

Malware? Mac? First, there is almost no Mac malware in existence. Second, even if you had malware on either your Mac or your (unspecified) non-iPhone it is difficult to spread infection from desktop to mobile devices because the devices are so different. There is such a thing as malware that is spread via usb (from computer to computer via sharing memory sticks) but it is not something I would worry about.

Jalopy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
Thanks. I will be more specific. I have heard that it is possible for example that windows type malware can be downloaded from the web, email, etc and transferred from a mac to a pc even though it wouldn't infect the mac. The mac acts as a carrier of sorts. If this is possible, is there also a risk of transferring cell phone type malware in this way?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.