Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Comparing the weight is easy. It's the effect of the retina display on the mini that you really need to get a feel for. When I switched from a Nook Color (7" 169ppi) to a Nexus 7 2012 (7" 216 ppi), I found myself not needing to zoom in on stuff all the time. I realized it's not really bigger screen real estate that I needed. It's just the increased resolution. I expect for me, the 7.9" mini 2 will work just as well as bigger iPads while being 30-50% lighter.

Agree that increased resolution does make a big difference. I think I'd still prefer the bigger size, because I can type better with the bigger keyboard, and also my muscle coordination problems make hitting the smaller touch targets on a smaller screen a pain. But for people with no motion control problems this won't be an issue.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
For long reading sessions -> the ligther the better!

The weight of my nexus 7 2013 is just right for one hand reading in bed :)
I agree, the lighter the better. I'd love for tablets to reach Kindle Paperwhite-level weight. I just received my 2013 Nexus 7 LTE and so far, I like the feel of it in hand. Noticeably lighter compared to the 2012 Nexus 7 and it doesn't feel cheap despite the plastic.

Still, 340g isn't bad and I prefer the Mini's 4:3 aspect ratio so I'm willing to compromise a bit on weight.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
I'm not trying to criticize anyone, just curious: For people who think the pre-Air iPad is too heavy and tiring for long periods of reading, how are you holding it? I use my iPad 4 for hours at a time, and I've never found it fatiguing. It occurs to me, though, that I never hold it in one hand. The back or the bottom edge is always supported on my lap, legs, or stomach, depending on my position. I can see that it would get tiring if I were standing in a subway or something, but I've never used it standing up for more than a few minutes at a time.

As for the reading experience, to me, it's great, except for in bright light, and then it's terrible. I've been reading stuff on computer monitors since the 1980s, so I guess I'm used to reading on computer screens, even though I have middle-aged eyes. The iPad 1 was acceptable to me, but the Retina iPads are superb. If I read lots of text-based books in bright light, I'd probably buy a Kindle, but I don't, and I prefer to carry only one device, so the iPad is fine for me.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Well at least someone posted a thread about something that the iPad is used for instead of screen defects, thickness and lightness, should I keep this one over that one.

I have yet to see a "how's the Air for games, movies, PDFs, comics, magazines etc etc.

Geez!

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I'm not trying to criticize anyone, just curious: For people who think the pre-Air iPad is too heavy and tiring for long periods of reading, how are you holding it? I use my iPad 4 for hours at a time, and I've never found it fatiguing. It occurs to me, though, that I never hold it in one hand. The back or the bottom edge is always supported on my lap, legs, or stomach, depending on my position. I can see that it would get tiring if I were standing in a subway or something, but I've never used it standing up for more than a few minutes at a time.
Case I use works quite nicely as a stand. Same as you, it's always supported by something other than my hands. When in bed, it's propped on some pillows so I always have to be lying down on my side or stomach when reading/watching. For reading one-handed, I still use my iPhone 4/4S or 4th gen iPod Touch. :p

mtntrance

macrumors member
May 2, 2008
Palm Desert, CA
Sorry to tell you the Kindle Paperwhite runs circles around any iPad in terms of readability and portability. I own both because of it. When I want to do serious reading, its Paperwhite all the way. For everything, and I mean everything else, its iPad. eInk is just that much better and easier on the eyes.

For 119 the new kindle paperwhite is the best way to go for reading. I know two devices but the paperwhite is so good I would carry both and iPad and kindle when traveling. I believe they are 15% off today.

shadow puppet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
4th padded cell on the right
But if you're not sure just go to a store and test out the current iPad Mini on display, since the Retina model will be the same size and around the same weight you'll know what to expect.
Exactly what I did today & should have done prior to buying the Air. Don't get me wrong, the Air is a stunning device. I loved the speed & clarity. But I decided if I want a larger screen, I'll use my MBP, so returned my Air. The retina mini will provide a middle ground for me between my MBP and iPhone 5 as well as easier portability than the Air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.