Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What mouse grip do you use?

• Palm Grip

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Claw Grip

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Finger Grip

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
What grip do you use?

I use the finger grip (only holding the mouse with my fingers). Personally never understood why people use the palm grip (or even the claw grip), since you'd have to move your whole arm to move the mouse, instead of just your fingers and wrist.

But maybe you palm or claw grippers can enlighten me. :)

bkar89

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
Norway
I don't really game that much on PC/Mac anymore. So i use the Magic mouse. Needless to say, finger grip... Works just fine

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
I employ the palm grip, like a civilized human. :p

Claw grippers are gonna develop some serious pain issues in their hands (if they don't have them already), and finger grip isn't really suitable for gaming at all. Not if you want to play well, at least.

Palm is the one true way!

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
What grip do you use?

I use the finger grip (only holding the mouse with my fingers). Personally never understood why people use the palm grip (or even the claw grip), since you'd have to move your whole arm to move the mouse, instead of just your fingers and wrist.

But maybe you palm or claw grippers can enlighten me. :)

Here's my 50 cents.

Firstly I disagree with your comment on moving arms, you don't need to move your arm for the palm grip or the claw grip any more than you need to move it for the finger grip. Moving your arm v.s. wrist is usually down to your mouse sensitivity and not an aspect of how you hold the mouse.

I (because I have an ergonomic mouse) use the palm grip but I use the finger grip on smaller mice although I find it does stress your tendons more so I try and avoid it when possible.

However in both modes I have my arm resting on the table and it doesn't move only my wrist does (unless I am using a slow mouse that has the sensitivity turned down).

I find these grips depend a lot on the mouse you have as this effects the best way to use them.

Oh and the finger grip is just a minor variation of the claw grip without the palm touching the back of the mouse. ;)

Edwin

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Here's my 50 cents.

Firstly I disagree with your comment on moving arms, you don't need to move your arm for the palm grip or the claw grip any more than you need to move it for the finger grip. Moving your arm v.s. wrist is usually down to your mouse sensitivity and not an aspect of how you hold the mouse.

I (because I have an ergonomic mouse) use the palm grip but I use the finger grip on smaller mice although I find it does stress your tendons more so I try and avoid it when possible.

However in both modes I have my arm resting on the table and it doesn't move only my wrist does (unless I am using a slow mouse that has the sensitivity turned down).

I find these grips depend a lot on the mouse you have as this effects the best way to use them.

Oh and the finger grip is just a minor variation of the claw grip without the palm touching the back of the mouse. ;)

Edwin

But how is it possible to move the mouse vertically with the palm/claw grip without moving the arm? I can move the mouse horizontally with just my wrist, but vertically? Physically impossible…?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
But how is it possible to move the mouse vertically with the palm/claw grip without moving the arm? I can move the mouse horizontally with just my wrist, but vertically? Physically impossible…?

All of my mouse movement is done over an area of about 4 to 5 cm of movement max, flexing the wrist and moving my hand shape covers most of that, for the largest movements I technically might move between "palm" to more of a "finger" hold but that is only for a tiny period of the entire movement.

Finger hold has the same restrictions moving backwards as you will touch your palm to the mouse in most cases making your hold a claw or palm style at some point in the movement so I cannot see any difference personally.

Anyway I think the minor differences with arm movement is mostly splitting hairs, as the styles are based on hand shape more than arm movement.

Here is a quick video of a palm hold with vertical movement without moving the arm. It's hard to film and demo but at all times parts of my palm are touching the mouse (never just my fingers).

FYI I was interested enough to keep an eye on my mouse movement all day since you posted and I can confirm very rarely if at all move my arm when using the mouse even with two screens. :) I do sometimes pick up my mouse instead of move my arm when going from the far left of one screen to the far right of the other.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.