Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShaneBunting

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
United Kingdom
When I get my Mac Mini and all my files transferred to it, I was considering using my MB Air as a Windows 8 machine fully. The small 128GB SSD makes it hard to share.. and I could always download the latest drivers from Apple on the Mac Mini.

What are your thoughts on this?

Is it possible and practical?

I definitely need Windows.. Believe it or not, it's to run Office 2003! lol

Finding Forever

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2013
When I get my Mac Mini and all my files transferred to it, I was considering using my MB Air as a Windows 8 machine fully. The small 128GB SSD makes it hard to share.. and I could always download the latest drivers from Apple on the Mac Mini.

What are your thoughts on this?

Is it possible and practical?

I definitely need Windows.. Believe it or not, it's to run Office 2003! lol

Why not just get a windows only laptop?

ShaneBunting

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
United Kingdom
Because I've already bought the Mac.

I love Apple Hardware.

Would there be any advantage of buying a Windows only machine, now that I've bought my MacBook Air?

Snookerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
I have a friend who bought a 13 inch MacBook Air because it was the best computer for that price but he is a Windows guy so he only runs Windows on it.

However, if you like OS X, surely you can find an alternative to Office 2003?

ShaneBunting

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
United Kingdom
It's so awkward saving files on other formats. Especially when all programs are designed to automatically save in the newest format.

That's why I'd rather just run 2003 itself.

I can use OS X on the Mini when I get it sure. And enjoy the Apple hardware all the time.

Glad to hear someone else is already doing it this way!

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
I ran windows on my mac for a couple years about 95% of the time for work related software. It worked great other than the crappy trackpad drivers. Nowadays I don't use my mac for work so it stays in OS X most of the time.

Btw, you can set office 2010 (windows) and office 2011 (mac) to always save by default as .doc, .xls, .ppt instead of the newer .docx, .xlsx, .pptx. I always set up all my windows and mac computers to save in the old formats by default.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
A lot of people in China do it. They buy a Mac, delete the OS X partition and install Windows. All done in the Apple Store.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Don't really run windows as my main OS, but I do alot of Windows/Java development on my Mac.

This has worked well so I only have one development machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.