Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drenline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
After going to best buy today and playing around with the ipad air for 10-15 minutes, it helped me decide which ipad I wanted...

So I went on ebay after I got home and picked up an ipad 4/32gb/mint condition ON iOS 6 for only $355.

I think I've made the right choice. The iOS 6 was the selling point for me, I did not want to ruin my ipad by having crappy iOS 7 installed on there beforehand.

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
I got the 32GB Air when it launched. I have a 45 return period with Best Buy so I will be returning the Air when the retina Mini is released. I like the Air but I like the Mini's portability. Plus I already put in the apps I absolutely need on the Air and it's only taken up a few GB since I already have my main stuff on my iPhone. Meaning I'll get a 16GB Mini thus saving almost $200. :cool:

Lamarak

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
After a long thought I decided to keep my like new 128gb LTE iPad 4. I will use the money I save by keeping it on a more exciting gadget and hope the next version has a better multitasking OS, built in ifile and 3x more ram.

I thought this too but the one thing these other gadgets can't compete with is the apple OS. I just don't like android and windows needs a bit more growing but is not looking bad. I just enjoy to much the seamless interaction of my macbook pro, iPhone, and Ipad. But can see your point of view.

Djay1

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Yeah, yeah - we know, there are starving infants in the world everywhere. Sucks, but there isnt anything I can do about it. Its not our fault that we have 1%-er problems & are successful but thats the way it goes. These threads are very helpful since there IS a valid decision to be made for many of us regarding whether to get the Air or a refurbed 4th gen or stay with what we have.

Honestly, Im quite tired of the posts where everyone acts like we should feel guilty about having iPads or whatever. Too bad. I suspect most of those complianing arent exactly behaving like St. Francis of Asisi themselves so lets chill with the "You guys and your 1st world problems". We are here to discuss iPad issues & concerns. Thats it.

We got 1st world problems and I dont care if it seems trivial versus whats happening in some foresaken 3rd world country somewhere. There, I said what had to be said. ;)

s2mikey THANK YOU! Well said sir! :) :) :)

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I got the 32GB Air when it launched. I have a 45 return period with Best Buy so I will be returning the Air when the retina Mini is released. I like the Air but I like the Mini's portability. Plus I already put in the apps I absolutely need on the Air and it's only taken up a few GB since I already have my main stuff on my iPhone. Meaning I'll get a 16GB Mini thus saving almost $200. :cool:

Your story reminds me of a brother in law who would stop by at a JC Penny's on his way to work each morning and return the necktie he had purchased the day before. This way he wore a different tie to work each day yet only had to pay for a single purchase.
When quizzed on the ethics of doing so his simple response was it was legal and the chain was large enough and churned out such an abundant profit so as to not give him pause or cause him to reflect on his own personal accountability.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
In general, the year over year change in the iPad doesn't warrant an upgrade for most people because folks just don't push their devices to the limits of their capabilities.

I use my iPad a lot (easily a couple of hours each day) for work and personal computing. I upgraded from an iPad 3 to the Air, but it was not a necessity. I wanted the smaller, thinner and lighter design, plus the speed improvement was nice.....but, I could have easily got another year or two from my iPad 3. I just figured, since I use the darn thing so much, why not treat myself.

Back to the thread; it doesn't surprise me that people with the iPad 4 have decided not to upgrade. Tablets can be very enjoyable and useful devices, but they are designed to be pretty simple....so, how much are they really going to change in functionality every year? Not much.

hugodrax

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2007
Short answer of it is that the only benefit I'm seeing from the iPad Air is faster browser load times and WiFi speeds. It's lighter, but doesn't change anything. It's still heavy to not change my usage pattern.

Drawbacks are there - memory management really. Yes, if they upped to 2GB of RAM, I wouldn't feel like I was spending $800 on a step back.

So, I'll be getting a Retina Mini instead, at least then I get the real benefits of portability instead of feeling like I got a downgrade in some ways as well.

Learn to manage your finances better.

j4c3k69

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2010
Canada
I actually tried 5 or 6 PDF readers, all had the slight delay before rendering clearly (and some slower than others).

iBooks was just the smoothest to use, granted, some of the PDFs were pretty big (100-200MB), but these same files now open without any form of delay for rendering, my original supposition is that iBooks is already 64bit optimised.[/

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
Anyone who upgrades their phone, tablet or computer on a yearly basis has too much money. These things don't evolve enough to justify it.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
The lighter, thinner, smaller - is good and all, but doesn't change anything about the iPad usage. It still gets heavy and still too big to shove into jackets or pants.

Speed improvements are only noticeable on Safari, then you take a step back in memory pressure and footprint.

The 64Bit aspect of A7 is completely a non-factor.

I would say the only real upgrade to this generation is WiFi and CPU speeds, but the fact that iOS 7 still lags, and you can't keep as much apps in memory... is almost a wash. The smaller and thinner is nice but not enough.

Yes, if you need a new iPad today, I would buy an iPad Air. But as an iPad 4 owner, I'm buying an iPad Mini Retina, as that would actually change my usage pattern by being able to take it with me everywhere and is a significant upgrade to the existing mini.

Sounds like you actually want an iPhone . It's silly critisising the iPad air if your after a device that fits pants, to be honest not even the mini is going to do that. The iPad 5 is a evolutionary step like all apple products, if you think there is no upgrade from 4 to 5 you might as well leave the apple eco system. The iPhone 5s is a much much smaller upgrade then the air, and it's selling like hot cakes.

Your after a portable iPad, in a smaller form factor, keeping your iPad 4 is irrelevant , your not in the markert for an iPad air, no magic is going to make it ultra portable.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Your story reminds me of a brother in law who would stop by at a JC Penny's on his way to work each morning and return the necktie he had purchased the day before. This way he wore a different tie to work each day yet only had to pay for a single purchase.
When quizzed on the ethics of doing so his simple response was it was legal and the chain was large enough and churned out such an abundant profit so as to not give him pause or cause him to reflect on his own personal accountability.

Sounds like your sister snagged a real winner. Shallow pockets and sartorial flair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.