Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knisse

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2012
Hi everyone

I have just bought a new iMac, so now i have this and my Macbook air.
I use both computers to work it, depending if i am at school/work or at home.

The issue i have noticed is that if i use excel/word some place with my macbook air, then i obviously have an older version of that file on my iMac instantly... Or similar the other way, if i work on my imac, then suddenly i have issues with having the latest on both computers.
I have dropbox, but it really does not fix the issue - it is a true pain to having to sync both and back and forth to make sure i have the latest version of all files on both computers.

What i really am searching for, is a sync device that automatic replaces files on either my iMac or MBA instantly if i work on one computer.

Anyone have a good solution?

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I use dropbox. works fine and updates pretty much instantly as long as both computers are on and not sleeping. Maybe you have it setup wrong or the time is set differently?

Knisse

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2012
Thoughts on switching to Pages/Numbers/Keynote and saving all docs to iCloud?

Cheers for the suggestion, but honestly no. I use advanced excel for both school and my work - i reckon numbers are similar, but even the slighest change would set me back.

I use dropbox. works fine and updates pretty much instantly as long as both computers are on and not sleeping. Maybe you have it setup wrong or the time is set differently?

Hmm, right now my iMac is shut off if i am not a home. So every time i get home i am forced to sync all documents i have altered, and if work more at home i am forced to do the same at night so my MBA is ready for the next day.

I reckon if i want to use dropbox properly i would have to have all my work/school stuff in the cloud and then work from there. But that would leave me with further issues as i often commute in trains with no wi-fi or anything where i guess i would have issues connecting to dropbox.
Please tell me if am doing something wrong.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.