Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nanogirl21

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2011
Midwest United States
Anyone going naked with their iPads? I have always been a naked iPhone user and never had any cracks/damage. Being that this is my first iPad I am not sure if I want to go naked. Is the back of the iPads easy to scratch? What are some pros and cons of going naked?

jcborden

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
The back of my air is naked at the moment but only because I haven't found a skin (in the UK) to cover it with.

Yes, the back can scratch easily, just drag your ipad across the table/desk and it will scratch.

I'm using the smart cover which I like a lot but don't want a chunky/heavy case to cover the light air with - just a skin will do on the back.

Have used the TPU plastic back cases in the past and quite like them, but always had the corners crack - now with the air I just want to keep it thin and light as possible.

nanogirl21

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2011
Midwest United States
The back of my air is naked at the moment but only because I haven't found a skin (in the UK) to cover it with.

Yes, the back can scratch easily, just drag your ipad across the table/desk and it will scratch.

I'm using the smart cover which I like a lot but don't want a chunky/heavy case to cover the light air with - just a skin will do on the back.

Have used the TPU plastic back cases in the past and quite like them, but always had the corners crack - now with the air I just want to keep it thin and light as possible.

Hi, I am in the US and I have never a TPU case. I do not like the feel of silicone or a rubber feel. Is that what TPU feels like? Caudabe has really good thin light cases. They have confirmed with me that they WILL be making a care for the Air and new Mini. not sure if they ship to UK.

http://www.caudabe.com/

jcborden

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
TPU is just a type of hard plastic, so not the silicone/gel ones which I agree are horrid.

The caudabe ones look good - very much like ones I have used from other companies in the past. I have tended to stick with SwitchEasy, despite the corners cracking as they have always replaced without any issue. However, this time it will be just a skin (well that is my current thought).

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
This is why I like the magnetic Smart Covers. You get screen protection for portability, you can lay it down screen first on the cover day to day, and it removes in an instant to have a naked device whenever you want. With my 4 there is some light scratching on the back, but you really have to look for it.

The only part of the Air I worry about is that chamfer. Some of the iPhone 5's I've seen are pretty nicked up there.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
Anyone going naked with their iPads? I have always been a naked iPhone user and never had any cracks/damage. Being that this is my first iPad I am not sure if I want to go naked. Is the back of the iPads easy to scratch? What are some pros and cons of going naked?

Naked iPhone users would be awfully cold this time of year. I avoid belt buckles when playing acoustic guitar, but other than that, I'm rarely naked. :D

Seriously...... I've been using mine with only a screen protector and a sleeve without problems. I have developed a habit of not wearing belts because I play classical guitar, but I could see belt scratches occurring with a naked iPad. Belts, rings, metal watches, car keys in front pockets, metal buttons, are all things that will scratch or crack wood on fine guitars, and I could see some of those causing scratches on an iPad. My wife drags a metal band Seiko watch across the area around her rMBP's keyboard, and that's like nails on a chalkboard. :eek:

EDIT: You'll want to be careful when friends use your naked iPad. I have guitars that range from $400 to $4,000 dollars, and let my sister's dufus boyfriend play one of my cheaper guitars. I didn't notice the ring he had on his thumb, until I saw the dent it put on the guitar's neck. He's a bass player, so I should have known better. This is especially true with the new iPad, as people will be flipping it around to look at it from every angle.

Last edited:

nanogirl21

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2011
Midwest United States
Naked iPhone users would be awfully cold this time of year. I avoid belt buckles when playing acoustic guitar, but other than that, I'm rarely naked. :D

Seriously...... I've been using mine with only a screen protector and a sleeve without problems. I have developed a habit of not wearing belts because I play classical guitar, but I could see belt scratches occurring with a naked iPad. Belts, rings, metal watches, car keys in front pockets, metal buttons, are all things that will scratch or crack wood on fine guitars, and I could see some of those causing scratches on an iPad. My wife drags a metal band Seiko watch across the area around her rMBP's keyboard, and that's like nails on a chalkboard. :eek:

EDIT: You'll want to be careful when friends use you naked iPad. I have guitars that range from $400 to $4,000 dollars, and let my sister's dufus boyfriend play one of my cheaper guitars. I didn't notice the ring he had on his thumb, until I saw the dent it put on the guitar's neck. He's a bass player, so I should have known better. This is especially true with the new iPad, as people will be flipping it around to look at it from every angle.

Thanks for the humor this morning. After a rough start of my car not cranking it was nice to have a good laugh (even though what you said is 100% true). What screen protector and a sleeve do you use?

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
I bought a pack of Body Shieldz dry application screen protectors from eBay. They were $7 shipped from a seller in Philadelphia. The fit is perfect, and I've used that brand on other devices. Glassy smooth, and a bit more rigid than other cheapy protectors I've bought. Oh yeah, it's a pack of 3.

The sleeve was purchased from a dollar store, and is made of polyester covered neoprene. Its flap has a Velcro closure, so not bad for a buck. ;) Of course a more stylish sleeve would be nice, and probably easier to find. This one is easily foldable, so I tend to use it and carry it with me more often. A stiff leather sleeve might look nice, but its heavier weight and rigidity might cause you to use it less. A stiffer sleeve would offer more protection, so you have to take that into consideration.

gdourado

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Can my weeding ring dent or scratch the ipad? The ipad will probably sit on it, based on the way I hold it.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
My mini has always been naked and still in "like new" condition. I have no protection on the back but a screen protector on front. My big iPads have always been in a case because I travel with them but I've decided to let them go nude when at home because why add weight and bulk to a product that is designed to be light and thin. I did buy a cheap rear film on Amazon for it though.

JCT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2004
Tucson, AZ
My mini has always been naked and still in "like new" condition. I have no protection on the back but a screen protector on front. My big iPads have always been in a case because I travel with them but I've decided to let them go nude when at home because why add weight and bulk to a product that is designed to be light and thin. I did buy a cheap rear film on Amazon for it though.

What screen protector do you favor - I've always used the Zagg, but the price premium is starting to tick me off.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
What screen protector do you favor - I've always used the Zagg, but the price premium is starting to tick me off.

I always buy the .99 deal or whatever on eBay or Amazon. I'm too cheap to go in for the name brand ones as I don't see how they are $30 better than the generics. I'm the same w/ cases, esp. since they have zero resale value.

I'll usually buy something cheap to start with and then once the case craze for the new device has calmed down and prices go down I'll get something nicer. But funny thing -- I enjoy my $4 eBay iPhone 5 case so much I have no desire for anything different. It's slim, offers nearly 100% coverage, and has anti-slip groves on the side.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
TPU is just a type of hard plastic, so not the silicone/gel ones which I agree are horrid.

The caudabe ones look good - very much like ones I have used from other companies in the past. I have tended to stick with SwitchEasy, despite the corners cracking as they have always replaced without any issue. However, this time it will be just a skin (well that is my current thought).

TPU is most definitely NOT like hard plastic.

I am going naked on the Air. Added a pair of blue lounge kicks to the back. Using a slip case I got on woot for $15...one of those cases that absorb the impact.

jcborden

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
TPU is most definitely NOT like hard plastic.

I am going naked on the Air. Added a pair of blue lounge kicks to the back. Using a slip case I got on woot for $15...one of those cases that absorb the impact.

Quite right, got my plastics mixed up :) TPU is a mix between hard plastic and silicone provinding flexibility and shock absorption... I've been using the hard plastic type.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.